Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nauvice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I paint in a tutu like her, can I sell a painting for $30,000?

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ... Shit. I want to say something witty but...

Fuck.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tsk! I think this is why alot of people don't take art seriously, if they read stories like this it devalues the whole process. Here's another one....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...i-Gallery.html

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,051 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wait, my kid will start selling with 3 (months)

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much surprised about this. The meaning of art has been deluded and nullified by greed and impatiences. Skill is no longer a prerequisite for creating a painting or a drawing to be considered art.

Ah well, the world turns, and a fool is born everyday,

Writero

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Randis View Post
    wait, my kid will start selling with 3 (months)
    I'm going to have a baby and let it crawl over a canvas without a nappy on Look out Turner Prize!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Writerof View Post
    The meaning of art has been deluded and nullified by greed and impatiences. Skill is no longer a prerequisite for creating a painting or a drawing to be considered art.
    Greed and Impatience - those sons of bitches. Fuck them for deluding Art's meaning. If only the meaning of Art knew better.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The best part is the similarity to Pollock, which you'd think would discredit his work but nooo she MUST be a prodigy!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nelka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I might get some flak for this, but after going to Tate Modern and falling out of love with art sometime in 2004, I realized that half, if not more, of modern art was the ability to make up bullshit to justify the piece in question. Now, I'm not saying that all modern art is bullshit (Android Jone's pieces are positively wonderful and psychedelic), but after a tour of the Tate Modern, my main reaction to the pieces there were, "...What the fuck?! You've got to be kidding me!" The main culprit was a Glass of Water (Can't remember the piece's official name), with a plaque next to it stating that the Glass represented an Oak Tree. Queue me and some crotchy old Englishman who was looking at it the same time I was, being flabbergasted.

Then of course there was the modern art staple of (white) blank canvases. Then a blank blue canvas. Then a blank blue canvas with a slash down the middle. With some pseudo-nonsense about how they represented "emptiness". There was also a video installation of a guy who was wearing a mask, and was otherwise naked, with boxing gloves, hitting himself, with the explanation next to it as something about societal commentary.

The ONLY good piece I remember seeing there was one which was a video installation of a time lapse of an apple decaying. I can't remember if it was a painting or an actual video, but I lean towards the former as the colours and forms looked kind of like paint. But anyway, indicative of it's quality, it was the only piece that had a crowd of people staring at it as the apple decayed.

And what also formed my opinion of Modern Art as what I previously described, is that I could've been called an "Abstract Artist" in my earlier years before honing my craft and going into realism. And why did I do abstract paintings? Because they were fucking EASY. And you can make up all sorts of bullshit and nonsense to justify it. "Oh the abstract sphere? That represents <insert pseudo babble here>", "Oh the rough palette knife marks? They hark about society's <blah blah blah>".

Needless to say, I don't "get" Pollock, hate Rothko, and really loathe Warhol. However I love Picasso, especially Guernica.

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Maledict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be honest, I've been tempted many times to try and make a few bucks off of people by splattering some paint and trying to sell it around at local places downtown. I just didn't think I'd be able to live down the guilt that would come with it.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you watch the documentary, they find that her dad was coaching her while she painted. Her dad being an artist himself.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi Satan View Post
    really loathe Warhol.
    Ever see pictures of his home?
    http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/20020330warhol3.asp
    I think he was having a good laugh.

He did help NY Ac. of Art get off the ground when the state, etc refused funding.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by damascus57 View Post

The Master Chief bows down to the Duke.
    Now THIS is a work of art!

Always bet on Duke! (Even if he's a decade overdue)

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the whole mess, I just feel bad for the poor little girl... not to mention, I somehow doubt all those thousands of dollars ended up in an academic trust for her...

Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "The Agora gallery director, Angela Di Bello, said she judges works without first learning about the artists as a practice, but was surprised to find out the talented artist she wanted to feature was merely a toddler. "

well aint that say alot of about modern art LOL

hahaha poor girl, i hope no one throws direct shit at her. blame her dad. i dont hate alot of people but i really hate parents who live through their kids.

"She was nine months old and she crawled onto the canvas and she just took to it, her hands moved around the canvas."

yea, same with me. and look where i ended up hahaha. not very prodigial, huh? i think her stuff is still pretty good tbh i just hope it isnt her dad who "coached" the artworks. anyway good luck to the kid i guess

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now THIS is a work of art!

Always bet on Duke! (Even if he's a decade overdue)
    Oh crap... wrong thread.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...Made of think of the little girl Akiane from a few years back. What's become of her anyway?

With stuff like this, I agree, it really does devalue the process of art. The 'gifted youngsters' are following orders from their parents. They may be taught the basics, but have no understanding of what they're actually painting.
    Its unfair that their art goes for thousands of dollars, when the average joe can barely sell one moderately competent painting.
    So unfair....sigh...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Akiane is still painting as far as I know,

http://www.artakiane.com/gallery

I wonder if she's facing artistic troubles as she gets older, seeing as she peaked at 8.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think she's a "prodigy" but I kinda liked her paintings. :/

So the little girl is making bank selling paintings. Good for her.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bad parents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think akiane is good but its sort of silly how her gallery is categorized by age (as if her identity revolves around it) and she still thinks jesus was a good looking white guy

but anyway i dont think these kids are bad at all even though they get a lot of unwarranted attention

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I actually don't mind her stuff. I watched it on the Beeb a couple of days ago and thought she was pretty direct on where she wanted the paint to be and where she was going to paste stuff on. It's bland stuff that you hang in an office and not offend anyone.

Needless to say, I don't "get" Pollock, hate Rothko, and really loathe Warhol. However I love Picasso, especially Guernica.
    Well I'm not over enamoured about Pollock or Warhol, I do like Rothko. Picasso just leaves me stone cold.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like Picasso's blue era paintings, and Guernica is cool. I also like some of his ink drawings. I don't like rest you mentioned.

I actually thought that the girls paintings were not that bad. The composition and color choices showed potential. I kind of do think that the "child prodigy" modern art thing just goes to show that most modern could be painted by children!

And Akiane's are good. For her age they're VERY good. And she obviously has quite a devolved skill set. It's not just pseudo-genius whatever.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Those paintings have somewhat of a Pierre Brassau quality to them, i guess one can only praise her powerfull strokes and determination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dayumn, I need to dig up stuff my grandpa had me do whant I was 4-6 years old... he's stretch large canvases for me, and let me wade through paints and stuff (so I'd be entertained and leave him alone with his attempts at oil painting while he was supposed to babysit me).

There were always goofy adults oooohing and aaahing over them.... but we didn't have connections or thought of sharing it in the art world.

I don't have pics of any of it unfortunately, but from what I remember, they had bold colors and interesting shapes. Goofy adults would stare at them like crazy and induce all kinds of meaning into them, that at the time made me wonder WTF is wrong with those people.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oooh conniecat your grandpa was an artist lets see his drawings was he good?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by stragan View Post
    oooh conniecat your grandpa was an artist lets see his drawings was he good?
    Oh, he wasn't, he was just a retiree that dabbled in oil paints. That's on my moms side.... I guess he influenced my mom a bit to become an architect.

On my dad's side, my grandpa's brother was a relatively high llama artist in Paris. I gather he has couple pieces in museums. However, my family shunned artistry (they're all engineers lawyers and that sort) and weren't close to him, so I never got to know much about him. I never even got to meet him Whatever online info there is about him, it's all in French... I gather the founded some kind of graphics and art restoration school in Paris. A friend of mine that knows French found out more about him, but I can't seem to find the links at the moment.
    Here's some info on him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgilije_Nevjesti%C4%87

I wanted to study arts... but my family was against being a "starving artist" when I was young, so off to damn engineering school I went. Since the economy tanked and I can't find a decent paying engineering job anywhere close to where I live, I'm switching careers, to do what I always wanted to do.

Bleh, ok, I'm rambling, you didn't even ask me about all that. It's just that since I decided to get serious about art (which is recent) this bothers me a ton.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.