Sketchbook: Time for serious improvement - Come see my progression ! - UPDATE 06/14/11 - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is another master study from John Singer Sargent - 'Alice Shepard 1888'.

This took me around 3 hours or just under. Looking at masters really does amaze me in the skill they had and actually and how relevant and helpful all these master's portraits and environments are to concept art. Definitely going to do more of these.

And I've broke into my second page! w00t! hoorah.

Again, I wanted to get the values as right as I could to achieve a realistic believable skin tone, I used some brushes to represent cloth tear/detail and paint in the background. Still haven't approached the block form yet as I mentioned in the other post. Will an update soon to show this.

Any crits at all, please please go ahead, I'm trying to get a lot better, and I will do my best to return the favour

Name:  john singer sergant - alice shepard 04.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  216.5 KB

Last edited by Carlos-will; June 13th, 2011 at 09:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its good , colors looks a bit strange but its OK .

On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your comment, I totally understand what you're saying with the colours, I will carry on studying values, practice practice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

From imagination

A new update, wanted to draw from imagination, so here you go:

First one is a character idea I had without reference, wasn't going to colour it, but I thought hey, might as well see how I tackle it.

No reference was used for these, these were out of my head.

Name:  CH 01 progress(small) 2.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  329.4 KB

Name:  CH 01(03 colour) small.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  260.9 KB

Here is doodle I done, it turned in from this idea to death, decided to colour it as well.

Name:  CH 02 progression 2 small.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  260.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful job on Sargent's Alice! I just love the face, unfortunately the first thing that catches my eye is that bright aquamarine vase(?). Other than that you can tell you're improving every day! : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your drawings have a very distinct presence and your digital paintings are very well rendered and have alot of character, I see you're working pretty hard on the anatomy and other technical aspects which is good, your forms and especially your perspective need improvement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Cbee - Thanks very much, glad you like it, yeah the original is like that as well I think, but maybe it shouldn't be so lighting for it shouldn't be so bright, hmm. Thanks a lot, I need to push myself so much more though, consistently!

@Quinster - Why thank you for your kind words, but I wouldn't say they're very well rendered yet Got quite a bit of way to go... I totally understand that my forms and perspective need improvement, gonna draw some perspective characters and environments. Thank you for your crit

Last edited by Carlos-will; June 13th, 2011 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A bottle

Life drawing of an empty bottle, took me around 3 hours for this, quite hard.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Carlos-will! You improved a lot in my opinion, the face, the atmosphere of your landscapes, all. The first thing I see is that you don't use a blury brush anymore, and that's really good ! I think if you work the anatomy, it 'll be very cool. Maybe the colors are a bit too desaturated on your drawing from imagination but I want to see more !
    By the way thanks for stoping by in my SB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your studies of masterpaintings and observations, they're getting more and more complex and finished up. You'll have to practice a bit more on defining your concepts, try to keep the values chunky, I recommend you taking a look at Kekai Kotakis work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Kiwee - Thanks very much, I appreciate your kind words, definitely true, I will work on anatomy quite hard. Yeah blurry brushes haha, down with those. Saturation and colour values are another big thing I need to work on too, thanks for this good crit, I appreciate it. No worries

@ Samarti - Thanks man! I will do more, its good fun! That is a problem of mine, keeping the values chunky...In the inital process of my concepts/drawings, I start with nice chunky abstract values which I refine, but I think I refine too much and I usually am happier in the early stages with my drawings...hmm. I will check out Kekai Kotakis work definitely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A portrait study of my friend.

Its been a while, had some shit to deal with, and had to sort out people coming to visit my house for viewings, I had an awsome work out..haha. Had to move a whole bed and desk up 3 floors, and another bed and desk from the 3rd floor to the ground floor, vaccumed the whole house and cleaned so much god damn dust off the stairs and just everywhere.

Thought I might share that as I'm proud, as I never do house work usually haha, felt good.

I've done a bit of drawing here and there, but here's a portrait study of a best friend:

Name:  ryan portrait 5(small).jpg
Views: 110
Size:  350.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates here, #31 is my favourite!
    I have a little crits as well, I like how you handle colors in #38, but there is one little thing that you've missed - axis of symmetry of a bottle isn't vertical (so it falls to left a little), just be more careful next time)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Carlos how's it going, these look good man, keep up the hard work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gaaaah its been 2 months since I posted, had a lot of stuff going on in my life, but don't think I've been lazy! I have a lot of stuff to post that I have compiled over the weeks

@in2eternity - Thank you! Yeah the axis does look a little weird haha. I will be more careful in future when drawing vertical shapes and such!

@Yefim - Hey man! Things are going okay I suppose, just need to draw and draw...some mooore. Thanks for your compliment, I checked out your deviant art and the progression you have made is remarkable! Can you give me a piece of your skills, I'll pay you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.