Sketchbook: Mirix's sketchbook - in search of improvement!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mirix's sketchbook - in search of improvement!

Hello! I'm 21-year-old girl trying to get better at drawing, is there anyone out there to help me out?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mirix; October 7th, 2012 at 02:48 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    • The cat is redrawn from a photo: http://trultis.deviantart.com/art/My...nce-207796654?
    • Skulls come from various photos posted around the Internet! I don't know authors, neither the sources where they can be found but I didn't upload these sketches anywhere else then here, it's all for practice, hope you understand!
    • Plant's sketches come from real life

Last edited by Mirix; September 24th, 2011 at 04:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like I'm running around vainly. I draw a little bit of this, a little bit of that. I don't even know if I'm on the right track to improve my skills.. It makes me so unsure, so unsafe.. Should I continue what I'm doing? Or maybe should I look into something deeper? What do I lack? What do I need? I'm so confused! I started painting without good foundations, without basics.. I so need your support! Can anyone suggest anything, please?

Last edited by Mirix; September 24th, 2011 at 03:45 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just getting started myself, but I think you seem to be on the right track. People always advise drawing from life and drawing a lot. They also recommend taking a look at bridgeman, or loomis to learn more about anatomy. If you keep on with what you are doing I am sure that you can't help but improve!

My Sketchbook would benefit from your critiques.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to anonanon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start for a sketchbook! If I was you I would't worry too much... anybody has to start somehwere and you are doing great so far. I would recommend the same as anonanon: draw as much as you can. Observe your subjects accurately and maybe try to rethink forms as geometrical objects. There are also a lot of great books out there to give you a kick start: Betty Edwards book is for the early beginning. Nicolaides book is a classic, but maybe a bit stringent. My favourite is Harold Speeds "The practice & science of drawing"... it really helped me when I started and it covers all the main aspects.

"We all have 10000 bad drawings in us so the sooner you get them out the better" - Walt Stanchfield

> visit my sketchbook
    > visit my blog

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Baudolino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe its a good idea to focus on one thing at a time and doing several studies about it. So you avoid jumping around just touching different areas of drawing.

(I try the same by myself in my sketchbook

By the way: your skull studies are excellent

C ya,
    Robin

My Sketchbook - Please take a look

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Snyder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya! I think you are doing pretty good here ^^actually drawing this and that is not such a bad thing...you just remember to have fun getting lost in the haze of getting better can slice of the brilliant edge of creating stuff. Your skull studies are great...but remember when ever you are studying something you don't copy and draw it from your memory bank but the better way is to rlly understand to form...it's a way of thinking...try to sculpt things out of the 2d dimension the best way that you can you can start by just doing rlly rlly simple forms... boxes, balls, cylinders, cones...then just unite them to make bigger more complex forms and it might be helpful to study a lil bit od perspective since it's crucial to understanding the forms i will be watching...just keep practicing hard!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ztak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you're on the right track Like Snyder said, maybe you could focus on one area of drawing and do several studies on that particular subject. It really depends on what you want to improve - keep posting!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lohes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good beginning. In trying to improve, you can't go wrong with finding a good life drawing course to invest in. There's no real substitute in my opinion, the observation and drawing skills that will improve will feed back into everything else you do.

~Slayer

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thegrayslayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Firstly, I want to apologize for long absence! I had to take care of some life issues.. cos it's hard to practice if you have no roof above your head, right?

Concerning my drawing I started one of Loomis books (Successful Drawing), but I felt like it's not yet my level (concerning perspective issue) so I took another book for supplement (Perspective Made Easy but I don't really enjoy this one + thread Perspective 101 by Seedling on forum) and now I'm working on perspective. Anyway, wow, it's was good to read about fundamentals artist should posses, I know more or less what I have to garb on to first! That makes me happy

anonanon -> Thank you for your comment! Yes, I browsed through some other people sketchbooks and it seems that's just the thing to do!
    Baudolino -> Aww.. thanks! I appreciate your help! Right now I'm reading Loomis but as soon as I'm done I'll give some attention to those books! Huge thanks ^^
    Snyder -> Yes, I should do that, at least to some level, I just didn't know what to study and in what order.. but since I've started reading some here and there I've got that issue more or less clarified
    Ztak -> Thank you! Yes, I've been overwhelmed by the massiveness of the work that has to be done.. need to relax and take it easy, don't want to loose the love for art And about the forms, I can't agree more, it's like opening your eyes on the next level when you understand this simple fact that everything is constructed from simple forms. Thanks once more! ^^
    lohes -> Hey! Thanks! I didn't knew what did I had to improve before so it was hard to just pick a topic, but now I have some idea and I hope it will go good!
    thegrayslayer -> Thanks! I see Right now I'm tad low on money, and have some other issues standing in a way of subscribing to a drawing course.. Nevertheless, I should look into that as soon as I'll be able to ^^

A quicky about pictures:
    - hands from life
    - cat from a photo (http://pullingcandy.deviantart.com/a...seup-156722000)
    - perspective cubes from imagination
    - keys from life
    - last picture involving perspective also from imagination

There are also few issues about perspective that I don't understand.. for example is the 'ellipse' in the picture under hands and next to keys still a circle or is it ellipse made to perspective?
    Or how to make a cube? Does artist need to know how to make a perfect cube or eyeballing something that has a feeling of a cube is just fine?
    Also what's the boundary between 'overdone' perspective (vanishing points too close, ect.) and good looking perspective? Is that also just estimated by intuition?

Once more, thank you for your help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your work,
    keep on going plz

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ear5cm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! You have a good variety of stuff you're doing.
    I can try to answer some of your questions, but I'm still a beginner myself. I think the most important thing about drawing is making an illusion a person is watching 3D - it's all 2D anyways. So if it doesn't look right, it isn't. So if it looks like an ellipse without any visual clues that it would be a circle in perspective, it's an ellipse. A general rule is just not to draw very sharp angles to the vanishing points.

Also, try to avoid the big amount of sketchy lines like you have in the first hand. If the part is hard to draw, you should observe it carefully and draw clear lines so you learn.

Keep up the good studies!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Minelo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update!

ear5cm -> Thank you, I'll
    Minelo -> Sometimes when paiting I have this feeling something is wrong but mostly I have no idea whats going on, why do I feel this way.. so that's why I rather ask people who already have trained eye to those kind of mistakes But thank you for your help! I'll try to put less lines and look into the structure closer! It totally makes sense to do so

About update:
    - perspective, perspective, perspective.. ooh look perspective with shadows also, cool!
    - autoportret
    - sketch of compact mirror

Last edited by Mirix; October 31st, 2011 at 08:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a bit ashamed to post this post... It's kinda personal work here.. I don't know if that's good idea to show it.. total doodleness.. but I had to let it out! I love cats and I'd love to be able to paint one.. I'm raging all the time when I try, I know my knowledge isn't sufficient just yet to paint something from imagination (ooh.. wait a minute I see there one nicely done kitty, what about it? oh, well.. this one was done from photo :| )

Ok, that's all of my whine for today..

Last edited by Mirix; January 21st, 2012 at 02:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    REALLY good start to a sketchbook. I can see you are more of a lines person, but try to incorporate cast shadow, midtone, and highlight a little more smoothly. It sometimes helps to lay in tone with VERY light strokes from the side of a sharpened pencil, gradually building it up in the direction of the form. Also, loosen up a bit by drawing with the side of your pencil, and practice fading lines.

I envy your perspective work! Makes me want to practice it more.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jorvaa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time, no see.. shame on me and my laziness..

I also noticed that I'm scared of failure, something that is a part of practicing, isn't it? As Bobby Chiu said recently: "True failure comes from not trying!", I need to change my attitude towards what I'm doing now, chill out.. even if it's so hard sometimes.. Oh, for those who never heard of Bobby (I guess most of you did) I invite you to research about him! He's doing some great stuff to help out beginner artists! Foremost you should look up his journal posts named 'Tip of the Day' on deviantART! Great motivational stuff (Sorry for advertisement! I just find it important to mention)

jorvaa -> Thanks a lot for your word! ^^ From the moment I read your comment I've been thinking what you said about me being a 'line person'. It struck me that I haven't realized it earlier! I actually bought myself some charcoal, do you think it's a good idea? It's easier to fill in the picture with tones then with pencil. Should I go the harder way to master pencils or can I play around with charcoal? Or maybe both?

About pictures
    Pencil:
    - some doodling from nature
    - scissors
    - hands
    Charcoal:
    - imaginary plant like thingy
    - portrait
    - alien design

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Augh! Sorry I haven't been able to reply!
    I actually really love the rendering on the handle of the scissor. Really nice job.
    Yes, it is easier to fill in tone with charcoal, but it is also hard to get more detailed. I think the trick with laying in tone with pencil is to use light strokes (line, really) as tone, and build the tone up from that. Sometimes I use the side of my pencil for that, other times I use a VERY light hand on the upper part of the pencil, and sort of "feather" the tone in with a back and forth motion. You can also use a blending stump, but I don't recommend that for any faces, unless you plan on doing a really detailed drawing.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to jorvaa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wonderful start!! keep going at those studies and really learn your fundamental and basics, keep at it!!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to -D_art- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the skulls look fantastic!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Lagarto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recommend drawing hands in more varying poses, although those are well done.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Umbravita For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jorvaa -> No problem what so ever! Anyway, I wasn't around for quite some time Thank you! I've been messing around with charcoal and I quite like it I believe I'll be using both mediums, depending on the thing I'll want to draw/practice!
    -D_art- -> Thank you! I'm on it!
    Lagarto -> Thanks a lot!
    Umbravita -> This was a task I've gave myself to do, many similar posed hands, I wanted to understand it better, mostly proportions

Sorry for long absence, I had no time to upload anything, but here I am again. So, as I've already mentioned I picked up charcoal and I'm glad I did I've been doing some still life studies, few of them with a deeper look into perspective. Also I've doodled some.. well, basically good charcoal experience

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still fighting with perspective. I touched the issue of the cone of vision, but can't say I understand it in 100%, I still have some issues with it. Then I took Perspective Made Easy by Ernest R. Norling, even though I thought it wasn't best book. It has it's pluses and minuses but the thing I like the most are the 'Problems', which are alike exercises, where you actually need to think and sometimes I find myself struggling with something that seemed easy at the beginning

Now, I have a question for a million! The question is:
    How to place a piece of paper on the table in perspective so it wouldn't seem like floating in space? That's a question my boyfriend asked me and I couldn't give him an answer.. and of course I look for a method other then eyeballing, with a good idea of what you're doing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks so much for the helpful comments earlier So i just looked through your thread and i think your definitely on the right track. You're definitely punching perspective in the face which is great, i have barely touched any perspective studies so ill definitely get on that. Just don't forget to work on anatomy and form! your skulls are nice and i liked your cat Try studying some muscle/bone structure when you get too frustrated/bored of perspective and when you do tag and name each part so you'll remember the names and thus remember the muscles. Oh and to put a cat in a box just put a ball of wool in the box first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, mate. Really not a bad start at all. Liking all the studies, 'specially the skulls near the top. Good shading.

Hmm, not sure what else to say, you're doing a fair amount of varied studies so you're on the right track. Keep up the good work, mate!

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool studys. Especially the one dealing with perspektive. I really admire the patience doing these thoroughly .
    Your doing fine Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Mirix ~
    Thanks for stopping by my SB
    Your SB is great, I hope to see it updated~
    I really love your studies in here, you really work hard,keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff here Mirix! I see you are doing a lot of perspective studies and drawing from life, which is good. (Something I should do more too!) I think your still-life studies look really good. Good values on them. Also you are good with charcoals! If you are looking for stuff to help you on figure drawing, I myself have found Loomis and Vilppu very useful ways to start. Loomis's "Figure drawing for all it's worth" is a book I recommend to start with. But that's only my opinion. Also do many gestures! Hmm nothing more to crit this time, just keep studying, having fun with it and keep updating (without long breaks)!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stephane Perez -> Thank you for your feedback! Yes, I definitely need to work on anatomy and thanks for the tip on naming the muscles/bones, seems quite important and logical ..and with that wool it may actually work! How bad they don't write that in any of the perspective books
    Naidy -> So glad to see you commenting on my sketchbook! Thank you for your words - great motivation
    Lakai -> Thanks a lot! I actually enjoy it, once I start I get quite pulled in, I guess I like puzzling problems
    Morningtea -> Hey there! Aww, thank you! ^^ I still don't feel like working hard enough.. But Rome wasn't built in one day I hope to gain momentum!
    Satupeikko -> Thank you on thoughtful opinion! I have all the Loomis books, I plan to at least read them all through Vilppu also interests me a lot, I've seen studies based on the book and they just feel like a right thing to do! Thanks for recommendations and advices ^^

Today's upload is what kept me busy for 30 days straight I've took up a 30 day drawing challenge! Most probably I could have done so much more in that time then just drawing a day.. but it showed me that working day by day is possible and it can become a part of your life. I hope not to loose the pace and increase the amount of drawings! It gave me also an opportunity to use my imagination and a rest from perspective/still life drawings

Pictures day by day:
    Day 1 Day 2 Day 3
    Day 4 Day 5 Day 6
    Day 7 Day 8 Day 9
    Day 10 Day 11 Day 12
    Day 13 Day 14 Day 15
    Day 16 Day 17 Day 18
    Day 19 Day 20 Day 21
    Day 21v2 Day 22 Day 23
    Day 24 Day 25 Day 26
    Day 27 Day 28 Day 29

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New start for CA forums, so maybe a new start for me and my sketchbook as well?

I've collected all of my old perspective practice Here we go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A month ago I made myself a challenge to enter as many contests on deviantART as I could handle through a period of one month

1. Create A Monster Contest by knockingghosts, my dA submission: http://mirix.deviantart.com/art/Nameless-317080341
    2. Sound of Themes competition by CrypticInk, my dA submission: http://mirix.deviantart.com/art/Seven-Devils-317873716
    3. Half Finished Contest by PencilsPlusArtists, my dA submission: http://mirix.deviantart.com/art/How-was-I-318694307
    4. Fairy Contest by Eledhwen-Stock, my dA submission: http://mirix.deviantart.com/art/Ladybug-319863189
    5. Natural Female Beauty Contest by The-Creative-Female, my dA submission: http://mirix.deviantart.com/art/Pear-320303877
    6. Luna Contest by BlueUndine, my dA submission: http://mirix.deviantart.com/art/Full-Moon-322483025
    7. OC Anna Contest by twirkle, my dA submission: http://mirix.deviantart.com/art/Anna-323297232
    8. Creative Copycat Contest by Mistress-of-Air, my dA submission: http://mirix.deviantart.com/art/Rema...born-323867635

Last edited by Mirix; October 7th, 2012 at 06:10 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 1