Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mirix's sketchbook - in search of improvement!

Thanks

Mirix's sketchbook - in search of improvement!

Hello! I'm 21-year-old girl trying to get better at drawing, is there anyone out there to help me out?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mirix; October 7th, 2012 at 02:48 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    • The cat is redrawn from a photo: http://trultis.deviantart.com/art/My...nce-207796654?
    • Skulls come from various photos posted around the Internet! I don't know authors, neither the sources where they can be found but I didn't upload these sketches anywhere else then here, it's all for practice, hope you understand!
    • Plant's sketches come from real life
    Last edited by Mirix; September 24th, 2011 at 04:22 AM.

Thanks
    I feel like I'm running around vainly. I draw a little bit of this, a little bit of that. I don't even know if I'm on the right track to improve my skills.. It makes me so unsure, so unsafe.. Should I continue what I'm doing? Or maybe should I look into something deeper? What do I lack? What do I need? I'm so confused! I started painting without good foundations, without basics.. I so need your support! Can anyone suggest anything, please?
    Last edited by Mirix; September 24th, 2011 at 03:45 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm just getting started myself, but I think you seem to be on the right track. People always advise drawing from life and drawing a lot. They also recommend taking a look at bridgeman, or loomis to learn more about anatomy. If you keep on with what you are doing I am sure that you can't help but improve!
    My Sketchbook would benefit from your critiques.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to anonanon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great start for a sketchbook! If I was you I would't worry too much... anybody has to start somehwere and you are doing great so far. I would recommend the same as anonanon: draw as much as you can. Observe your subjects accurately and maybe try to rethink forms as geometrical objects. There are also a lot of great books out there to give you a kick start: Betty Edwards book is for the early beginning. Nicolaides book is a classic, but maybe a bit stringent. My favourite is Harold Speeds "The practice & science of drawing"... it really helped me when I started and it covers all the main aspects.
    "We all have 10000 bad drawings in us so the sooner you get them out the better" - Walt Stanchfield

> visit my sketchbook
    > visit my blog

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Baudolino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Maybe its a good idea to focus on one thing at a time and doing several studies about it. So you avoid jumping around just touching different areas of drawing.

(I try the same by myself in my sketchbook

By the way: your skull studies are excellent

C ya,
    Robin
    My Sketchbook - Please take a look

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Snyder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hiya! I think you are doing pretty good here ^^actually drawing this and that is not such a bad thing...you just remember to have fun getting lost in the haze of getting better can slice of the brilliant edge of creating stuff. Your skull studies are great...but remember when ever you are studying something you don't copy and draw it from your memory bank but the better way is to rlly understand to form...it's a way of thinking...try to sculpt things out of the 2d dimension the best way that you can you can start by just doing rlly rlly simple forms... boxes, balls, cylinders, cones...then just unite them to make bigger more complex forms and it might be helpful to study a lil bit od perspective since it's crucial to understanding the forms i will be watching...just keep practicing hard!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ztak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think you're on the right track Like Snyder said, maybe you could focus on one area of drawing and do several studies on that particular subject. It really depends on what you want to improve - keep posting!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lohes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good beginning. In trying to improve, you can't go wrong with finding a good life drawing course to invest in. There's no real substitute in my opinion, the observation and drawing skills that will improve will feed back into everything else you do.

~Slayer

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thegrayslayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Firstly, I want to apologize for long absence! I had to take care of some life issues.. cos it's hard to practice if you have no roof above your head, right?

Concerning my drawing I started one of Loomis books (Successful Drawing), but I felt like it's not yet my level (concerning perspective issue) so I took another book for supplement (Perspective Made Easy but I don't really enjoy this one + thread Perspective 101 by Seedling on forum) and now I'm working on perspective. Anyway, wow, it's was good to read about fundamentals artist should posses, I know more or less what I have to garb on to first! That makes me happy

anonanon -> Thank you for your comment! Yes, I browsed through some other people sketchbooks and it seems that's just the thing to do!
    Baudolino -> Aww.. thanks! I appreciate your help! Right now I'm reading Loomis but as soon as I'm done I'll give some attention to those books! Huge thanks ^^
    Snyder -> Yes, I should do that, at least to some level, I just didn't know what to study and in what order.. but since I've started reading some here and there I've got that issue more or less clarified
    Ztak -> Thank you! Yes, I've been overwhelmed by the massiveness of the work that has to be done.. need to relax and take it easy, don't want to loose the love for art And about the forms, I can't agree more, it's like opening your eyes on the next level when you understand this simple fact that everything is constructed from simple forms. Thanks once more! ^^
    lohes -> Hey! Thanks! I didn't knew what did I had to improve before so it was hard to just pick a topic, but now I have some idea and I hope it will go good!
    thegrayslayer -> Thanks! I see Right now I'm tad low on money, and have some other issues standing in a way of subscribing to a drawing course.. Nevertheless, I should look into that as soon as I'll be able to ^^

A quicky about pictures:
    - hands from life
    - cat from a photo (http://pullingcandy.deviantart.com/a...seup-156722000)
    - perspective cubes from imagination
    - keys from life
    - last picture involving perspective also from imagination

There are also few issues about perspective that I don't understand.. for example is the 'ellipse' in the picture under hands and next to keys still a circle or is it ellipse made to perspective?
    Or how to make a cube? Does artist need to know how to make a perfect cube or eyeballing something that has a feeling of a cube is just fine?
    Also what's the boundary between 'overdone' perspective (vanishing points too close, ect.) and good looking perspective? Is that also just estimated by intuition?

Once more, thank you for your help!

Thanks
    I like your work,
    keep on going plz

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ear5cm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey! You have a good variety of stuff you're doing.
    I can try to answer some of your questions, but I'm still a beginner myself. I think the most important thing about drawing is making an illusion a person is watching 3D - it's all 2D anyways. So if it doesn't look right, it isn't. So if it looks like an ellipse without any visual clues that it would be a circle in perspective, it's an ellipse. A general rule is just not to draw very sharp angles to the vanishing points.

Also, try to avoid the big amount of sketchy lines like you have in the first hand. If the part is hard to draw, you should observe it carefully and draw clear lines so you learn.

Keep up the good studies!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Minelo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Update!

ear5cm -> Thank you, I'll
    Minelo -> Sometimes when paiting I have this feeling something is wrong but mostly I have no idea whats going on, why do I feel this way.. so that's why I rather ask people who already have trained eye to those kind of mistakes But thank you for your help! I'll try to put less lines and look into the structure closer! It totally makes sense to do so

About update:
    - perspective, perspective, perspective.. ooh look perspective with shadows also, cool!
    - autoportret
    - sketch of compact mirror
    Last edited by Mirix; October 31st, 2011 at 08:50 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast