Thread: Pc and mac

Thanks

Pc and mac

Hey guys,
    Im going to SVA next fall and plan on bringing a computer. I was just wondering if you guys thought there would be any conflicts with formats, as i plan on bringing a windows pc. Right now im going to put in a zip drive and buy a mac/pc disk and im pretty sure that will bet rid of any problem.

of course, im not sure. so- as long as I keep my documents on notepad, will there be any conflicts between bouncing between the two os's? Im thinking in terms of visual work and the formats of a windows photoshop working on a mac photoshop.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    the only problem i had with a file format transfer between the operating systems was flash. I don't know how that happened but sometimes my flash wouldn't open on the mac (from windows to mac)

And the problem of different codeds still excist (i used to use an avi with indeo compression, but xp doesn't like indeo) So now i'm using sorenson quicktime (which is a gamble because you don't know if all the computers have quicktime, and the normal quciktime can't play movies fullscreen (nonpro version)

Thanks
    alright then it sounds like im safe, as I'm going to the cartooning department. wouldn't there would be much to do with video in that major. thanks alot

Thanks
    forget illustrator too...
    I'm a manky artist, don't mess with me

Thanks
    On a technical note, the primary problem transferring files between the two platforms are MacOS "resource forks", which are a branch of the files' headers. Windows strips these out. Destroys them. Buh-bye!

On the upside, as long as you have the same app on Mac and Windows, in my 6+ years of cross platform production experience is almost never a problem. Sometimes you do need to drag and drop to launch a file instead of double-clicking, or otherwise doing some slight variation of the open sequence, but I literally trade .psd, .doc, .fla, and .ai files between the Mac and PC all day long and I've never lost work or been unable to open someone else's work.

FWIW,
    -Atomick
    --------------------------------------------
    freelance imagemaker + digital experience designer
    http://www.atomick.net
    --------------------------------------------

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.