Art: Am clueless, have questions
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Am clueless, have questions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Am clueless, have questions

I work in polymer clay and I think I'm at place where I should start thinking more about casting and molding. I could really use some guidance as far as what mediums to use...for both! As far as what I make, right now it's pretty much jewelry, largely because jewelry is small and easy and I just started last year so have been working on getting better. I see some of the work on here and I know there's some serious talent here, so I'm no where close to the same league but I aspire! But I do plan on doing larger items, you know, work my way up.

If this is in the wrong place I apologize! I just hope you can offer some guidance or point me in the right place. I'm more than happy to do research, just don't know where to start, usually I'd have 30 books from the library but they are pretty much void on this =(

I know how forums work....need a photo to intrigue and get people to open my thread lol I'm sure you get a lot of beginner questions! So here's a pic of my largest piece...the customer is actually planning to have someone else cast this in silver for a gear shifter (hence the shape).

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't help you on the Jewellery side, there are different kinds of techniques there that I'm not familiar enough with to steer you right. If you're thinking of anything with a bit more size and complexity. I think the absolute best source of information (that I've seen) comes from John Brown who has two training DVD's over at Gnomon on this very subject.

Molding and Casting the Maquette
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/sto...91/Sculpture-5

Molding and Casting the Head
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/sto...89/Sculpture-4

You're talking $60 a pop which isn't cheap but there's stuff in here that you just can't see from looking at step by step pictures in books or on websites. Techniques are shown clearly and the reasons why everything is done the way it is. He even gets a recommendation from Weta Digital but that's more about his George Bridgeman style sculpting than anything about his mold making.

I spent perhaps a year searching for tutorials on mold making and it wasn't until I hit this one that It all finally made sense to me. Others might disagree and I do look forward to seeing and checking out any other recommendations people have. Especially free ones

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=DesertRubble;3145765]I work in polymer clay and I think I'm at place where I should start thinking more about casting and molding. I could really use some guidance as far as what mediums to use...for both!

Get the book popsculpture.
    It has a ton of info in it. My molder/caster has been collecting this info for two years, and he has hit up a lot of people. Still, he found a lot to use in that book. He wished he had it to start out with.
    I can't recommend it highly enough.

Oh, 20 bucks on amazon.com!

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to philofmars For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the recommendation! It's so funny, too, I had an amazon order come in last week and I had almost added that one to it, I wish now I would have. I'm adding it to my wishlist and next order I make I'm getting it =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey BTW I grew up in Brown County, IN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HI and welcome....I liked your shifter....You will find lots of help here. Moulding and casting is basically simple....and like all simple things, can become quite complex. Reading up on some of the tut's here will help a great deal, but mostly it's common sense. First you will need to find suppliers in your area who sell the silicone { for the mould,} and the resin,{ for the casting,} then save up a bunch of money and buy it. LOL. You will then need to make a small container to pour the mould silicone into around your plug,{ original piece,} suspending it in a manner that will give you a " pour spout,} for pouring your resin after the mould is dry and hardened....some people,{ depending on the complexity of the piece,} will make a one piece mould, and then slice the mould,{ silicon,} in a predetermined spot, to remove the original piece,{plug.} Others find it easier to make a two part mould,{which is made in two steps, pour silicone in one side, let dry, and then pour the other side,} All this is done with lots of forethought in regards of where you want your seams....and you want to make " registers" that positively align the two mould parts together, and there are lots and lots of ways to do that, but just keep it simple....On a one piece mould, after you make your cuts or cut,,,to remove the original plug, the silicone will go right back together leaving a very thin seam that you can sand off of your casting...you will always have a seam and you will always need to dress it off, just a fact of life...more or less...once you remove your plug, carefully push the silicone back together and hold it fast with rubber bands or something of that ilk...I have used paper cups for somethings and the mould fits right back into the cup and holds it tightly with no need for " rubber bands" which is kind of a " mother mould," which simply means, something to hold your mould together when you pour your cast,,,, Always clean out your mould and ALWAYS use a " mould release," very important...
    WHEW....I am sure I have forgotten lots of stuff to tell you , so do read up and good luck, don' t let it freak you out...it really is simple...kind of , sort of...

Mah ' Crub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mah ' Crub For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol I know it will be costly, want to plan ahead and know what I need in advance so I know what I'd be getting myself into and will be prepared....and hopefully save myself some $$$ mistakes.

Thanks for the tips and for the welcome! A cup for a mother mold, I do like that, a lot. It does sounds easier to make a one piece and slice it in half if there would be a seam either way. I had not seen the tuts on here! Thankyou so much! off to read =)

Members who have read this thread: 1