Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Sketchbook ala Clur

Thanks
    Henrique: Oh! Thanks a lot for subscribing

Vloth: Ha ha, thanks. I don't think anything can stop me posting now. xD

Naidy: I have to admit, that's what I'm hoping too. I find a lot of figures are kind of weird and inelegant, so I'm hoping to absorb some grace from Art Nouveau.

---

All I've got today is some sketches, the uniting feature of which seems to be complete wonkiness.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 896 Posts
    I like that long faced blond man, he really does have a striking look about him. You come up with such unique faces. Keep on studying as you are and imagine how it'll strengthen them even more.

And I know how you feel about full figures. So hard getting things you've been studying separately to meld together and have the right proportions and so on. Just keep studying, Loomis is good for proportions. I will say, however, I love dem outfits. Specially the girl's. Gotta love dem baggy pants.

Now, my only real crit is on the last portrait, you've flattened the left (our left) side of his face.
    http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2009/05/draw-eyes/
    if you notice here what they say about brow ridges, I think it will help get an idea for how to translate that to his portrait.
    Oh oh, and there's tab down there for heads at any angle too, really useful stuff.
    OH
    and this:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=218344
    Post 5 is a gold mine for head planes.

If it isn't any trouble, I think it'd be a good help to revisit Johnny boy and draw the planes of his face over it like those examples. Keep up the good work, mate!
    - Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Naidy: Ha ha, I like his face too, except he looks a bit like H P Lovecraft and it is freaking me out.

Also, thanks for the crit! I needed it. Those links have been super helpful.

---

So here's some studies of heads and eyes, and an improved version of the portrait from my previous post. (In traditional media this time, to save myself a tablet headache.)

Thanks
    I was going to say something, then I caught site of the newest portrait and I lost my train of thought.

Oh.
    Give me a second. Gathering me thoughts...
    Ah!

I can't believe how fast you started tucking into those head plane studies. Jesus, suddenly a burst of improvement in just one post. I'm glad you found those links a help! I'm also glad my jarbled critique didn't make you want to gut me like a fish. Aha!

Wow, I just keep looking at all those studies, I've always loved the way you've drawn faces but that last batch is bloody marvelous. Do hope you keep up the good work, mate. It's great seeing your stuff up here.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Naidy: Nope, your critique was spot on and absolutely necessary.

---

Made some proportion studies from Loomis & Perard before trying some more full figures. There's a few pages of just mannequin figures in Anatomy and Drawing, so I tried fleshing them out. ... With mixed results.

Thanks
    I like the female figures there, even the derp one. Mainly because I'm imagining that's the noise she makes moving, which is hilarious.

The man on the top right's torso is confusing me. It wouldn't hurt to do some more anatomy studies for how arms/shoulders sit with the rest of the figure. I have an anatomy book at home which is really anoying since if I brought it with me I could have scanned a few pages, attatched it and saved you the hassle of disentangling my ramblings.

But either way, you generally show an understanding of figures which is a fair bit above mine. So I ought to shut up now and do more studies myself.

Now lastly, I was going to say I'm glad to see you taking steps to 'flesh out' your studies. It not only makes it more interesting, I also reckon it helps retain what you're learning. So keep it up!
    Cheers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Naidy: That little figure with the wonky anatomy was just a ten-second doodle to see how many heads high my usual figures are. I know the anatomy's bad, don't worry.

But you're right, I should do some studies of shoulders and how they connect to the torso.

---

Unfortunately, my sketchbook is full and I haven't had a chance to buy a new one yet. So here's a for-fun drawing I did on printer paper to keep my self from going nuts. If you had giant moth friend, what would you name him?
    Last edited by Clur; August 11th, 2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: attachment manager y u do this

Thanks
    ffffff
    I love moths! I love that woman's expression too, propper badarse.

And I was thinking it was odd when I saw, makes more sense now you told me that. xD
    Keep up the good work, mate.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Naidy: I love moths, too. :'D They're the only bug I can look at close-up pictures of and not start panicking

---

One little printer paper sketch, because I still lack a proper sketchbook. I must get one on Monday roarrrrrrr

Thanks
    I finally have a new sketchbook! First thing I did was some drapery studies ... and a couple of faces.

Thanks
    I have just returned from an exotic adventure (or possibly a two-day camping trip in Waterton...) and made a few sketches of the scenery while I was there. I tried something a bit more stylized with my watercolours.

Thanks
    I like the sketch second from the top and the painting second from bottom. Nice to see you playing around watercolours, also reminds me I need to do more observationals ;_;

Anyways, Also for some reason I really like the way you did Johnny-boy's eyes on posssst- 49. They really seem to pop out.
    Good stuff as usual, mate. Keep it up!
    Cheers

Thanks
    Naidy: Thanks a bunch! I wish I'd done a few more sketches while I was there, but oh well.

---

Today I've got a characters sketch, a small watercolour thing, and a random monster design.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast