Post-Apocalyptic tattoo design

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post-Apocalyptic tattoo design

This is a request from my fiance, she wants in on her leg as a birthday present. She asked for a post-apocalyptic pin-up and has given me her input along the sketching process. But now I'd like some critiques, paintovers, advice, anything, I'd really appreciate the help as I have never done anything like this before, thanks! (sorry about the text, she was worried someone would steal it before she could get it inked)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well since this is for your gf, why don't you get her to pose for you? You're definitely going to need reference for this.
    Also, reference for the mask and the gun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RyerOrdStar View Post
    Well since this is for your gf, why don't you get her to pose for you? You're definitely going to need reference for this.
    Also, reference for the mask and the gun.
    She doesn't have a pin-up shape, and would never do this pose, lol. But yeah, I used reference for the rest of it, it's just rough right now, but I want to make sure the anatomy and everything looks right before I continue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little more work on it. She wanted a 9 on the arm, thinking about roman numerals, but I'll have to ask her first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy, there are some serious issues with the anatomy, the shoulder's structure is non-existant, the hands and wrists also show no actual form (they are more symbolic of hands than literal at this point). The breasts are shown at a different angle than the rest of the torso, and seem to be suffering from 'oranges taped to a board' syndrome a bit.

If this is a tattoo we're talking about, you want to really nail it here. This isn't a drawing for your wall or to put on a site somewhere, it's going to be embedded into her skin...Get and use reference and spend a lot more time on it. If your skill level isn't sufficient to pull it off I'd say maybe hold off on the actual tattoo until it is...

Best wishes,

PS, I really don't think you need the giant embossed copyright watermark...

"...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RaynaCendre View Post
    She doesn't have a pin-up shape, and would never do this pose, lol. But yeah, I used reference for the rest of it, it's just rough right now, but I want to make sure the anatomy and everything looks right before I continue.

by "for the rest of it" do you mean just for the gun and the mask? And even if she (or any other person who might pose for you) doesn't have a pinup shape they can still be useful as a reference. Remember that references aren't necessarily there so that you can copy them exactly. They give you a guide as to what is accurate. At this point it's basic underlying anatomy, particularly the shoulder, that you're having issue with so any reference that fits this pose will do. Then it's just a matter of making the fleshy bits the shape you want.

Hope this helps

Edit: and if I misunderstood and you do have a reference for the whole body it would be helpful to post it.

Last edited by wooden mango; June 4th, 2011 at 01:03 PM.
    My sketchbook

DA

"This is a paint and pixel-splattered furnace that forges the swords of artistic mastery. This is a place where swarthy and belligerent dwarves drink turpentine mead, berate their apprentices and slap the trade into their skulls. It's where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares." --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Truepinkas - I'm going to find a reference pic somewhere and work on the anatomy issues. That's why I posted it here, because it will be in her skin and I don't want her to regret it, so getting any input is really important. And, I hate copyright symbols, but she insisted. Thanks for the tips!

wooden mango - Yes, the only reference were for the gun and mask. I'll be finding a picture to reference from today, hopefully, thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying to follow the advice given to me here and in my sketchbook thread. I still have to fix the hands, legs, and heels, but I think its getting there. Have yet to get a proper reference picture but I looked into shoulder anatomy a little more.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That pelvis really bugs me. Basically, from the waist down it's like a lightbulb. Try to see what it would look like without the gun and arm in the way, and think about what structures are there. Lower abs, fat deposits, the pelvic bone itself, how the thigh muscle joins with the hip, etc. Also, would the panties sit perfectly horizontal in this pose? Check your reference to find out!

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

tattoo

my art as a tattoo scary thought can't crumble that up and throw it across the room......anyways I pushed the pixels around a little it is still not 100% the hands her right shoulder and her butt all still need help but anyways I thought I would throw in my two cents......
    Name:  gas.jpg
Views: 5092
Size:  60.6 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.