Thanks

Euthanasia proponent Jack Kevorkian dies at 83

Quote Originally Posted by BBC Article
    Jack Kevorkian, the controversial American doctor who claimed to have assisted more than 100 suicides, has died aged 83.

To his critics, he was Dr Death. To other detractors, Jack the Dripper.

Kevorkian was given plenty of nicknames after receiving international attention in the 1990s, throughout which he waged a defiant campaign to help people end their lives.

But to his supporters, he became the poster boy for legislative reform.

Both sides of the debate would agree that he provoked a national discussion, and doctor-assisted suicide is now legal in three American states.
    I'm sure there's going to be a wide variety of responses to this, but I'm firmly in Kevorkian's camp regarding the issue of euthanasia. I watched my maternal grandfather and father both waste away and suffer from debilitating diseases that brought them constant anguish and pain. And as far as I'm concerned, the hippocratic oath needs some updating, from doing "No Harm"/"Keeping-the-parient-alive-at-all-costs-despite-immense-suffering-being-experienced", to "Do the least harm", which should include voluntary euthanasia.

Anyway, in my opinion, anyone who is against assisted suicide probably never had someone close who was suffering in immense pain during their last days. And if they did, they're probably sado-masochists like that bitch Mother Theresa (Lets see what can of worms I just opened with THAT line!).

I watched as my Grandfather slowly died from emphysema, due to old age and an earlier period of his life where he smoked quite extensively. And whilst I wasn't at my father's bedside when he died (Something which I regret utterly, but was not in my power to control at the time), his doctors were forward thinkers, and at least gave him quite a bit of pain medication before he finally passed. My dad suffered from numerous cancers that riddled his body, and eventually his intestines stopped working, and he was unable to take solid food. In his final weeks, he pretty much was drinking castor oil as if it were water, to help the digestive process along and keep him going.

I certainly hope that in my older age, when youth has fled me by, and I'm onset with cancer (Which is likely), that voluntary euthanasia would be an option for me. If not, I'll just travel to Switzerland.
    "Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Portfolio | dA | Facebook |

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    1) Post topic
    2) "I bet this will get a lot of crazy replies!"
    3) Insult people you don't know before they even have a chance to post
    4) People get mad
    5) Get crazy replies
    6) "I was right!"

Almost.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 747 Posts
    I'm a firm believer in euthanasia. I also believe Jack Kevorkian couldn't give a rip about euthanasia -- he was a sick, twisted serial killer who found a niche.

Forget all the glowing accolades you're going to read in the next few days. They're pure journalistic fantasy.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    ^ What makes you think this? My only exposure to Jack Kevorkian is a movie about him, a couple of interviews, and a few news stories. They made him look very much like a euthanasia doctor and very little like a serial killer?

But I'm a very firm believer in euthanasia as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    He made this appearance on Bill Maher recently.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    just a note: Jack the Dripper was also Jackson Pollocks nick name

just adding some art to the thread

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darkmoon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    He picked up the nickname "Dr. Death" when he was still in training in the Fifties. He asked to be notified when anyone in the hospital was near death, so he could stare into their eyes (and sometimes take pictures) while they died. He was (supposedly) obsessed with pinpointing the exact moment of death.

There is absolutely zero value in "pinpointing the moment of death" as, to a physician, death isn't an event but a series of events. It was an utterly useless exercise, unless you just got your kicks watching people die.

As a result of which, who knows how many friendless people spent their last moments on earth staring into the face of this sick freak.

He said many, many times that compassion had nothing to do with it. After med school, his grown-up obsession was to be able to play around in the innards of people while he killed them. He proposed this many times for death row inmates -- hey, they're going to die anyway, right? Why not anesthetize them and dawdle around in their guts until they die?

Oh, he dressed it up with talk about organ donation and service to science, but his resume makes it pretty clear what he was up to. Not much of a scientist, this one.

There's more, but I'm starting to sound like Crazy Auntie who buttonholes you at Thanksgiving. Dude's a bit of an interest of mine, obviously. The more so since the media decided to turn him into some kind of hero.

This being an art forum 'n' all, try an images search of "Kevorkian paintings." Brrr.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I'm starting to sound like Crazy Auntie
    Perty much..

The whole "pinpointing the moment of death" stuff just sounds to me like it's more the philosophical and psychological aspects of death than the medical view. I don't think it makes him sound like a twisted freak. (Experimenting on the almost-dead is pretty messed up though.)

From that interview, he seemed like a pretty chill and interesting guy. I particularly enjoy his view of religion and its dated association with the legal system. But personally I don't really care either way about what kind of a person he was; I'm just glad he raised the debate about euthanasia, which is something I would really like to see accepted in modern society.

Thanks
    If they accurately reported the man's career, it would have set back the cause of euthanasia by decades. Half the people he topped weren't terminally ill, and five of them weren't even sick.

He never bothered to find out. Medicine wasn't really his thing.

Thanks
    Hhhmm, thanks for the input Stoat, but are you referring to Harold Shipman, who also got the Dr. Death moniker, who was also the most prolific serial killer in the UK's history? I've not read up much about Kevorkian himself, admittedly, but I'm not sure if I'm getting my details mixed up.

Anyway, could you link the article where you got the information on Kevorkian on? Could be an interesting read.
    "Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Portfolio | dA | Facebook |

Thanks
    Oh, no...Shipman is another one, MUCH higher body count

Got most of this from paper books over the years, but I can scare up a few links. Here's a sympathetic look that nevertheless mentions his "staring into the eyes" thing. And a couple of quick links from Wesley Smith, who's a bioethics guy.

I got interested in Kevorkian in the Nineties, when he first got some big press, because I am a euthanasia proponent and assumed I'd agree with him. The more I looked into it, the more convinced I became that Kevorkian was the worst thing that could happen to a euthanasia movement.

Thanks
    i heard mother teresa was a total fucker. she never healed anyone, she just kept them in her hospital and told them that suffering is a beautiful gift from skydaddy or something.. and then when SHE got sick, she went to a fancy hospital

just what i heard.

anyway, i am all for assisted euthanasia. i mean, someone's in IMMENSE PAIN and rotting in his own diarrhea but you stand there and go "life is a precious gift ^_^" and try to keep him alive no matter what? for what? to make him feel the pain longer? that's just messed up holy shit i really don't get why people do not get this. i come from a pentecostal family where everyone thinks that anything assisting death is evil. i hope they don't come to my hospital room if i am ever in massive pain jesus christ. :|

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stragan View Post
    i heard mother teresa was a total fucker. she never healed anyone, she just kept them in her hospital and told them that suffering is a beautiful gift from skydaddy or something.. and then when SHE got sick, she went to a fancy hospital

just what i heard.

anyway, i am all for assisted euthanasia. i mean, someone's in IMMENSE PAIN and rotting in his own diarrhea but you stand there and go "life is a precious gift ^_^" and try to keep him alive no matter what? for what? to make him feel the pain longer? that's just messed up holy shit i really don't get why people do not get this. i come from a pentecostal family where everyone thinks that anything assisting death is evil. i hope they don't come to my hospital room if i am ever in massive pain jesus christ. :|
    Yeah there's a book. There was also a documentary I think. Mother Theresa had people come to her clinics and such whose illnesses could easily be cured at a hospital but she did not let them leave, and many of them died because she told them prayer would heal them and if not God had allowed for them to die.

Thanks
    If you want to see euthanasia reach legal acceptance in the West, it's important to pick public spokesman that aren't balls-out crazy.

Just saying.