art instructors

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: art instructors

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

art instructors

For those who (have had) attend a school dedicated solely to art or feature an art program there, this question is for you.

What are your general thoughts on the way your art instructors teach the class, more importantly, how they review your work? Do you favor those who you can see yourself meeting up with after class for a drink or a social gathering? What about the one's who support you relentless of what your capabilities are and give you credit for attempting new mediums relentless if they were successful or not? What do you consider to be correct for a teacher to behave and act in a class, and what guidelines should be inforced if you had the ability?

Personally, I consider the teachers who will flat out tell you what they think of your work and where it stands as far as you competing with the outside world for getting a job. If I come in a class and the teacher clearly states he is here to help you, in ways in whcih you will hate him for, and bust your ass on what you turn in to him, I would thank him for what he was doing.

I HATE it when a instructor will admit to me that I don't need to worry about the art piece itself but rather the layout and way I present it will give me my grade. In addition, it's a insult when someone will purposely create some half-ass assignment 30 min prior to class and explain he was aiming for children with his art and thus they would understand it better. What pisses me off about that is that the teacher will not only accept this work, but give the person an "A" which I have seen before!!!! Why the hell should soemone, who knows they did not put any effort in to his/her work get the same grade compared to the person who stayed up 3 days straight working on a single piece?

This is pretty much what I want from a teacher. To grade me not as a friend, or just a teacher, but a client as well. To tell me every single thing that is wrong with my work, to ask me questions on why I had made the decesions I had made, and to suggest any suggestions in which may help me out. I want a teacher to pretty much be brutally honest no matter if it's kind or rude as hell. If I am helping you (the teacher) pay money for you to get your salery, I better as hell expect the best from them.

Similar Threads
    "You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there are ways to be both brutally honest and tactful at the same time. Rudeness doesn't fly with me.

I had a teacher once that explained that it was up to the student to get out of him what they wanted. Some kids just wanted to be treated the way their parents do-with praise and ego building....they'd get 'A's.
    Other students just want to be marked on a harder scale....it drives them to push harder and practice more...they'd get Bs.
    Other students just wanted the credit to complete their programs......Cs
    and other students were there to learn, and didn't really give a rat's bum about their grade.....which is smart, because grades don't matter.....learning matters.

I had another teacher who at most gave a 5 minute lecture each class....he never came around to check out or projects or anything, and then he marked us extremely hard when it came time to hand in our stuff.
    Some students thought he was a slacker because he didn't want to 'train his competition' so to speak. Others thought he just didn't care about the job or the industry as a whole.
    He was one of the most accomplished teachers I had.....he'd worked on piles of videogames, a bunch of classically animated shows/movies, and a ton of other stuff, and now he was working somewhere as an art director.
    You'd think that someone so accomplished would be a better communicator, but you almost had to pry information out of him with a crow bar.

I ended up learning a lot from him.....and because of the fact that I had to dig so hard at him for knowledge I was learning it 1 on 1.....and I was learning exactly what I needed to know.
    Not just art stuff, but artist stuff. An artist is a student, and a student is responsible for his own learning.
    Different kinds of teachers are great. Things should never be just one way.

It's your responsibility to learn what you want to learn, that's the stuff that builds your artistic character.

-Rob

My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    all i know is that i just graduated from art school, and found myself saying that my teachers didn't know what they were doing. i don't really have a portfolio to represent what my teachers taught me, instead of what i put effort [and late late nights] and did for myself in the time. [the rest ended up being what they were meant to be, just assignments, not anything really related to industry.]
    at the end, i didn't really care too much about the grade. i would be happy with a C in my main art classes at school, and a degree, because what i did [for myself, for my portfolio] mattered much more than that.

it's a shame.. 3 years and a lot of cash.

so what i would've liked in a teacher is what my bosses have been [i happen to have an art job already].. real advice with experience to back it up..
    not only that 'important' stuff, but some inspiration to go along with it.. i know i've been more excited to work on things, and improve at work than i have at school.
    i think it's ok to have a friend-instructor, as long as he/she is an honest-friend-instructor and will tell you the straight truth about your work. it's even more important to trust them, because you know their opinion counts, and they can look at your work objectively. because they know what's good and what's bad.

it's too bad you see people half-doing their work and getting good grades, while you really spent your effort. try to remember that if they continue with what they're [not] doing, that it'll get em in the end.

if you put in the effort, you'll reap the result! you might have to give yourself tunnel vision [which is what i did] to ignore those kids, to cause yourself less stress. focus on yourself and what you need/what you want. and you won't regret it.

if you feel your instructors don't know what they're doing, you might really need to think about what's worth listening to, and what's not. have an open mind, but use your knowledge you get from talking to other professionals [and reading these forums] to make your judgements.

anyway, that's my 2 cents! i hope you can get something out of it. keep on keepin on,

- l

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This week I finished teaching a three part series on watercolor fundamentals and techniques. In my teaching I try to be honest, helpful, and praising. I also feel its important to understand the material which one is working with then to have a "pretty" piece of artwork.

"You mean you don't make sound effects when you're painting?" -David Tillinghast

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Attendence... not just the student but the teacher's!

I've had some teachers where they just do a demo and then leave the room. Kinda sounds like the type of teacher NoUseFrAName had. I suppose I should've been more persistent, but I was a newbie.

Another teacher just didn't seem to know what they're doing. Sure the videos he showed are helpful, but I'd like to have some constructive criticism and instruction. *sigh*

Pretty much any instructor NEEDS to have understanding of the subject. Anyone can do step-by-step tutorials and read straight from the book. But it takes another person to think and play outside the box and bring that to the students.

Fortunately my traditional instructors did a lot better and helped me improve. Hanging out in conceptart.org and cgtalk.com helped too

Also the students shouldn't be the only ones improving, the instructor should too!

Ok, I'm done posting... Back to drawin'!

Ephesians 2:8
    Sketchbooks Finished: 9 (Dec 17, 2006)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.