Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Windows 8

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I'm going to order a keyboard and mouse. I heard touchpads are a dysfunctional fuck face on windows 8. So my heart goes out to anybody who bought windows 8 on a laptop.
    I'm doing perfectly fine.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm running it on a nice little tablet, but the whole thing is still half baked. Like I said all of the traditional stuff is too small for touch and the accuracy is a real asshole around the edges.

I'm going to order a keyboard and mouse. I heard touchpads are a dysfunctional fuck face on windows 8. So my heart goes out to anybody who bought windows 8 on a laptop.
    I'm guessing that Windows 9 will be half the price, work much better, and be much more like an Apple product. . .

But, thank ye all for the Beta Testing!

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    I'm doing perfectly fine.
    Great. But there are many that are not.

Like I said a known issue on Windows 8 is the fact it cannot correctly detect network drives. This can be detrimental for people who depend on it.
    I have issues with my tablet and Windows 8 is counter-intuitive. Keep in mind my tablet does come with a keyboard. The touch screen doesn't work as well, and it picks and chooses how it wants to run with the intuos/and wacom drivers.

For example I was trying Fresh Paint, and for whatever god awful reason it cannot detect my stylus switch as a right click, but in when I'm in the W8 OS it does. Why is right click important? It gets me out of the fucking program and brings up the menu. I'm sitting here hitting ctrl+alt+del button on the side because it can't do a simple task like right click on a stylus.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Great. But there are many that are not.

Like I said a known issue on Windows 8 is the fact it cannot correctly detect network drives. This can be detrimental for people who depend on it.
    I have issues with my tablet and Windows 8 is counter-intuitive. Keep in mind my tablet does come with a keyboard. The touch screen doesn't work as well, and it picks and chooses how it wants to run with the intuos/and wacom drivers.

For example I was trying Fresh Paint, and for whatever god awful reason it cannot detect my stylus switch as a right click, but in when I'm in the W8 OS it does. Why is right click important? It gets me out of the fucking program and brings up the menu. I'm sitting here hitting ctrl+alt+del button on the side because it can't do a simple task like right click on a stylus.
    Well, you have to understand that well, you're part of a niche market.

What probably happened in Microsoft is that the jump the gun. Windows 7 was their solution to Vista controversy. What happened to Vista was somewhat of a sad story. Xp had a major virus or spyware, or ad-ware outbreak during Vista's development, so Microsoft pulls the senior programmers to fix the problem, and left most of the junior programmer developing vista. Windows 7 was a stable hybrid version of Windows that consumers wanted except businesses can't afford the prices given by windows that's why most companies still have XP, and now started adopting Windows 7. Windows 8 is an attempt to pierce the mobile market, and "cloud" computing, and not desktop, business, PC Gaming market.

Besides, the adoption rate for windows OSes were always poor. (For businesses and home-use)
    Usually, Outlook and Office tends to be Microsoft's bread and butter.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm already aware why Windows 8 came out, they were sorely lagging behind in the mobile market. Companies are now using windows 7 mainly because it wasn't Vista and 2gbs is not longer enough to run more modern programs.

But essentially Windows tends to be the reverse of the Star Trek Sequels, where evens vs odds is better for Trek sequels, is about the opposite for Microsoft

As far as Microsoft Office, a lot of companies are doing the home use program so you can get Office for 10 bucks. 1 copy though.

http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/ch...?culture=en-US

Last edited by Arshes Nei; February 23rd, 2013 at 10:36 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I thought XP was good, Vista not very good and I like 7. Dont feel any need to have greasy finger prints all over my screen any time soon.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't say that my own experience with Windows 8 has been worthwhile. It took me approximately two days to realize that the Microsoft Surface Pro was emphatically not the tech I was looking for. This was after installing practically every piece of illustration software out there and spending hours tinkering with settings in order to develop some kind of fluid drawing experience. Either through my own software incompetence of simply a genuine lack of driver support, I could not achieve both multitouch and pressure sensitivity functions simultaneously in a single program. Regardless, even if I could, I doubt the experience would be pleasurable given the resolution at which Window's 8 still runs legacy software on a 10" screen. That is, to select tools, I still have to click an icon the size of a aphid with my stylus. Other programs are more intuitive, like Sketchbook pro, but multitouch could not be achieved. Furthermore, after calibrating the stylus and stylus properties, I discovered that there existed a quarter inch deadzone on the borders of the screen for which no stylus may tread without going all kinds of wonky.

I'm not really a tech wizard, but it was pretty evident after about six hours of usage that the Windows 8 "Metro" interface just isn't where it needs to be, which is a shame. I really wanted to like that device. It's doing a lot of things right, but in the realm of mobile productivity, there is much to want. Ultimately, it would be much more efficient to purchase a laptop at half the cost (with better specs), and then dump the rest into a Wacom tablet if your purposes are to illustrate on the move. I know everybody wants that portable Cintiq rolled in a nifty computing device, but those devices are, in my opinion, A. Not fast enough in terms of brute computing power, B. too expensive, C. Not large enough in terms of general illustration surface, and D. not terribly ergonomic. Of course, your experiences may vary. I once had a Toshiba Satellite pro that I particularly liked for illustration (at least on Sketchbook Pro), but that thing was a laptop with a screen that simply rotated 180 degrees and then folded down over the keyboard. It was brutal and practical and inelegant, but it knew what it was supposed to do. The problem with the Surface Pro outside of being a mobile toy, I feel, is that it doesn't do any one thing particularly well, and that's just design mistakes 101.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Fez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think its a good seeming interface for phones and leisure devices, but for hardcore work machines itll take a lot more than some moving squares to make me switch from tablet and mouse at a desk.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 1,778 Times in 848 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Anybody know of a safe place to download the ArtDock plug in. I tried downloading it last night and wound up with adware.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    I think its a good seeming interface for phones and leisure devices, but for hardcore work machines itll take a lot more than some moving squares to make me switch from tablet and mouse at a desk.
    Personally, I've always HATED Windows phones/devices. (But, that's just me. . .)

When MS decided to make their new iteration of Windows compatible with their mobiles, I was thinking, YES! perhaps this is your Edsel moment, you. . . you. . . [expletive deleted. . .]

But, I think a lot of things. . .

Hell, they survived "Mojave" and that brutally expensive and odd Seinfeld ad.

But, I fantasize of a day when the Chinese buy MS and have Mexicans making camping gear over there in Redmond. . .

Last edited by Kamber Parrk; February 25th, 2013 at 08:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dosn't windows work like Star Trek movies, every other one was good. Now repeat this mantra, Windows XP good, Windows Vista bad, Windows 7 good, Windows 8 bad. See the pattern??

"If you look back on last years work and you still like it: you are slipping."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's funny how windows put all of that effort into creating a beautiful hi res interface, but overlooked basic navigation. Especially the apps. I'm still not sure how to actually close them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's funny how windows put all of that effort into creating a beautiful hi res interface, but overlooked basic navigation. Especially the apps. I'm still not sure how to actually close them.
    Press Alt+F4 or use the close gesture by dragging your finger or mouse from the top of the screen down to the bottom.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to surpher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know this is off topic, but stay away from google drive.
    I tried to move my portfolio and music through there and the memory maxed out, so I deleted it all. I realized all of the subfolders were empty, so I go back to my old computer to move the subfolders only to realize MY ENTIRE PORTFOLIO IS GONE!!! THE WHOLE FUCKING THING!!! I'm talking about hundreds of images. It's my own damn fault I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno...this comment is posted from windows 8 and I like it just fine. Other than the start screen, it's pretty much windows 7 with a new VS and some performance enhancements. Haven't had any driver issues with my hardware yet (a custom desktop), and I run a relatively broad range of software. The actual windows 8 part of windows 8 sucks bad, but you can pretty much ignore that and exclusively switch between the desktop and start screen.

I really do like Microsoft's new design aesthetics though. It's all bright colors, sharp lines and big text. whoo!

Name:  pcsettings.png
Views: 65
Size:  551.3 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.