Windows 8

Thoughts?

Still stuck with Vista btw.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It looks neat. And if you want to sell smart phones, you want it to look neat, because all the competitors' smart phones look so neat.

It might be just taste, but I like my OS and applications to take very little attention to themselves, so I can focus on what I'm doing. So I dunno, if it all looks like that, it seems a bit gimmicky..

oh, and I run XP, and I'm happy with it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Serpian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What are they trying to do, emulate the ipad? Doesn't look good at all

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eldritch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doesn't really do anything revolutionary if you ask me and to abolish something as simple and fundamental as the desktop makes the old man in me grumpy.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smashed_Pumpkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not very happy with that.

I'm in that horrible bracket of people who knows enough that they don't need an insultingly simple UI, but not enough to make full use of linux. It also has that kind of fake, plastic look a lot of knockoff versions of things get.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OfficialLamp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Windows looks less and less made for people who actually work.
    Why would I want Windows to turn my PC into an iPad with mouse and keyboard input?
    Maybe I'm missing something and this version is only for portable devices, in which case never mind my reply.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crimsonstring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If the demonstration had been done with a keyboard and mouse, rather than a touch screen, I would have been far more open to the idea. I couldn't see using this with my desktop and I'm not interested in touchpads.

I also hate gesture-based controls. I know some people rave about them but I'd like to see what I'm doing and choose my specific actions rather than flail around and hope the window I want will eventually pop up.

While these pretty much kill any interest I had in the OS I actually wouldn't have a problem with the tile-based interface providing I could display more at one time. As I see it, they've basically just taken the desk top and made it interactive - and allowed programs the option to display information in their 'icon,' that sounds good to me.

Really I need to see the interface on a desk top being used as a desk top, I suspect much of what I don't like so far is easily disabled. I mean it's not like they could require a touch screen. For now I'm happy with XP, and if for some reason I need to upgrade it looks like Win7 is a decent enough OS - but for now I have no reason to use it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems unnecessary to add all these things. The desktop icons are already sufficient as they are, it's clear what the icon means and there's no need to change them. Every new Windows lately has been more about adding useless fancy new things and less about improving more important aspects (higher speed, less freezing, less errors, etc.) As for the touch screen... if I wanted an iPad I'd go buy one. Or I'd just use my iPod touch because they're basically the same thing. I guess I'll just stick with Windows 7.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minamongoose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks absolutely horrible. If this is going to be the future of desktop computers, then I'm never upgrading again for the rest of my life. Every version of Windows seems to get more convoluted than the last.

I need an OS that is quick, simple and stable with none of this flashy UI crap. I'd probably take to using a Linux system of some sort if it ran all my programs.

Why do they insist on reinventing the wheel all the time?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zx52hg For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well yeah, it's pretty obvious with Android and iPad/iPhone apps out there, Windows needed to step up.

So for smart phones and tablets I can see why the change.
    Since it was stated you can turn this off for desktop, no big deal.

It looks fine for other kinds of devices, just not really necessary for desktop. I think Windows7 is fine as is and won't upgrade, but a tablet I also do have so the potential it has for that may work better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think its great, a little more intuitive, and you can switch to classic windows 7 mode if you need to.

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,366 Times in 3,589 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the way that they brought up Excel and didn't use it as it needs data imputed, like actually real figures not something dragged out the the air by a click of the fingers.

They've lost sight of the fact that a computer is a tool, not a toy. Cool factor means diddly squat when there's work to be done. We are not children.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ever widening divide between people who actually use computers for work and those who use it for entertainment.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 556 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    damnit, just a week ago i bought windows 7 and felt like i was finally up to snuff with my technology. /nerdrage

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    damnit, just a week ago i bought windows 7 and felt like i was finally up to snuff with my technology. /nerdrage
    happens to me all the time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    You can disable the tablet-esque screen, no need to panic.

But I do hate that stuff too, especially since I choose PCs because they value quality over aesthetics as opposed to Macs.
    I'm hoping there is an option to not install it in the first place, I don't want lots of junk mucking things up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    See I dislike this because most likely all this stuff while sure you can turn it off its still going to most likely take up disc space unless you can remove it altogether. Feels like they're just trying to create a more updated and artsy version of the Mac OS X dashboard.

Why can't they just go back to simplicity and create a fast yet secure OS without all the ridiculous bells and whistles. I like XP, hate Vista, used Windows 7 but wasn't amazed. I stuck with XP and I still enjoy it perfectly fine.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yep, looks like they are making it mac os style.

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JFierce knows. I want simplicity and functionality, not glamour and lag.

Here's a rant I wrote on my blog about 'new OS's' back when Vista (I think?) came out. It's still my firm opinion today.
    Sometimes I feel like these crazy new operating systems are like a democratic government. Like O/Ses are heading in the same direction as our nation. Generally and perhaps stereotypically speaking, a democratic government is more involved in the people's lives, helping them pay for stuff, making things "easier" for people. With these new operating systems, it seems like things are getting more automated and "helpful" for the user. Like instead plugging a flash drive and opening a window so I can manually transfer photos, music, etc. Windows FUTURE edition wants me to open "Microsoft Windows EZ Photo Share PLUS deluxe edition 30-day-trial demo" so that I can transfer my photos quickly, efficiently, and easily with minimal hassle! So easy that a grandma could do it maybe!

Now in some cases it's okay, like when it allows for the same hands-on operation but in a more efficient manner. When using the IE6 browser, I used to have to go into the source code or the image properties to get the image link. Now with Firefox or Google Chrome, I can just right click and get the image link. Or view the image. It's quick and easy! That's fine. But new software for burning CDs, software that pops-up and has big mismatching colorful buttons for easy efficient use bugs me. I just want a folder to open, so I can drop stuff in. And I don't want Windows to protect me from "my own stupidity." I want to be able to open my Programs and Windows folders, and change my clock time, and move stuff around, and designate my own folders for my documents, and pictures, and music, without any sort of confirmation or administrative passwords necessary. Instead it feels like everything's being done for me in a way that I don't want it done. I know I can customize the O/S more to my liking, but I don't want to have to.

It seems like people are too ignorant and lazy to learn how to do things manually, so the O/S tries to cater to their ignorance and serve everything on an EZ silver platter PRO 3.0, which makes things more of a hassle for those who want it the old way, because we have to try and maneuver around it all. Many times I would be happy to use the automated versions, but it's not as customizable or hands-on as I would like, and that's primarily why it's annoying. It feels like my control is really limited with such "improvements."

That's all I wanted to say. This isn't an essay, it's my blog, so I'm not going to think up a closing paragraph.

Last edited by manlybrian; June 4th, 2011 at 04:10 AM.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,778 Times in 848 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just figured I'd necro this thread to give you guys a heads up.
    FUCK WINDOWS 8
    It's a lemon of an os. It's full of great ideas that don't fucking work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've been using it since November. I can't say I have any problems.

But then again, I'm not a good person to refer to when it comes to operating systems, or pretty much anything, really.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just can't get anything to install or stream pandora while I draw.

Just as a personal thing, the tool buttons are tiny due to the high res on my small touchscreen.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; February 22nd, 2013 at 02:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have it on another device, and I'm thoroughly irritated with it. It cannot detect my network drives properly where Windows 7 detects them fine. After months of finger pointing between Asus (which has a router that allows you to plug your external network drives via USB) and Microsoft, finally MS acknowledges it's a known issues.

Still hasn't been fixed.

The start screen is a nuisance. I know you can make your desktop work like a start menu again but it's so irritating. I've had my work erased a couple times.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be honest, I'm not impressed with it at all. It doesn't help that I don't have a favorable opinion of smart phones/mobile tablets.

And one of my friends had this to say:
    http://coldworks-art.blogspot.be/201...easure-of.html

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The start screen SHOULD be like the desk top and not an isolated OS. It's a lovely interface they just didn't make it useful. Hopefully ms will update and patch it into functionality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well like I said in your other thread there are ways to bring it back. Pokki looks interesting.
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing...k-to-windows-8

The Start Window is fine for a tablet, sucks for a desktop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm running it on a nice little tablet, but the whole thing is still half baked. Like I said all of the traditional stuff is too small for touch and the accuracy is a real asshole around the edges.

I'm going to order a keyboard and mouse. I heard touchpads are a dysfunctional fuck face on windows 8. So my heart goes out to anybody who bought windows 8 on a laptop.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I'm running it on a nice little tablet, but the whole thing is still half baked. Like I said all of the traditional stuff is too small for touch and the accuracy is a real asshole around the edges.

I'm going to order a keyboard and mouse. I heard touchpads are a dysfunctional fuck face on windows 8. So my heart goes out to anybody who bought windows 8 on a laptop.
    When I heard "Charm Bar" I thought it was some kind of fetish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.