Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

Exercise and staying healthy?

Hey, up until two years ago I never really exercised or did anything besides sit at my computer. Then I started running and a year ago started going to the gym at my school. Recently I bought some adjustable dumbbell weights and for an hour each day (excluding one day a week) I lift weights. A few times a week I also going biking or jogging for 30 minutes to an hour.

I was just curious how many other people here try to stay in shape and what kind of things do they do. I am sure most people here spend a majority of their day at the desk drawing so tell us how you prevent your limbs from atrophying.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ofidian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    I run at least 3 miles a day, and at school I would lift weights 3 times a week but since I'm moved home for the time being and don't have a gym, I just do a routine of core exercises every day. Also use protein powder every day, gives a nice energy boost after working out.

Thanks
    Hey guys, i do handstand pushups, lift weights, walk up hills, and cardio for 40 min, 5 days a week. try to eat veggies and fruits everyday, which is a pain in the ass but as long as its for my own good, and i try to get natural sources of protein.

Everyone should do some exercise everyday, especially us artist that spend tons of time at our desks
    -We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Jeso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I use two 10 kg dumbbells for a variety of reps like squats and bicep curls, and I do natural body weight exercises like pushups, pullups, and running.

As a matter of fact I'm going on a run now.
    My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    I try to workout at least an hour a day to counter the fact that I work at a desk. I do anything from riding my exercise bike, to swimming, to running, to lifting weights. I like some variety in my activity.

This month, my boyfriend and I are having a contest to see who can ride the most miles on the bike this month. He is winning cuz I was sick yesterday.

Thanks
    Bodyrock.tv

Workouts comparable to Insanity's, good motion reference, free.

Thanks
    Handstand push ups? Wow that is pretty awesome XD. I should try those out just to see if I am able to.

Its good to see a lot of people working out. I find my attitude is significantly more upbeat if I start my day with some weights, core and cardio.

I never used to use things such as protein bars and shakes but recently a friend gave me a bunch cause he was moving away. I must say I am significantly less sore the next day and it has really helped me improve.

Thanks
    I try to walk a few miles every day and I do some weights and stretches, also at the weekend I like to go hiking up & down mountains and big hills
    I eat pretty healthy anyway, I really like fruits and vegetables, don't really go in for much junk food aside from overindulging in the biscuits. Plus I love cooking.

I'm not an artist or even an art student so most of the time I spend trapped inside I'm not even doing anything as fun as art...makes it all the more important for me to get out and excercise and refresh my brain on a regular basis...if i don't at least go for a short walk in the day I just CBA to do anything later on. Wakes me up a bit.

Lately...when I find my arse is beginning to fuse to my chair, dancing/flailing wildly around my room to a bit of electronica or stupid pop music has really been doing the trick. Can't do that in the library, sadly.
    Last edited by crowbones; June 3rd, 2011 at 02:40 AM.
    "It felt good to have a purpose, a dream, and to follow it. I never told them I didn't know the way."

The long, hard road out of suck AKA My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Spinach and carrots are my favorite veggies, could much on those all day

Fresh that is! Never cooked

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
    Spinach and carrots are my favorite veggies, could much on those all day

Fresh that is! Never cooked
    Never cooked?! I can understand the carrot, but the spinach? Try it with a little pressed lemon on top if its the taste you don't like. It's awesome.

I don't exercise at all, but I ted to call the trip to the grocery store an exercise. 20 minutes to the closest and 30-40 minutes to this special store with the exotic ingredients and cheap but high quality pasta. Then "lifting weights" on the way back . I have a great body, and I'm quite flexible when it comes to my limbs and spine, but my running capacity ("Stamina"?) sucks.
    I generally eat healthy too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Haha I do what I call my Ghetto exercise routines.
    I created a free exercise equipment set in my spare time.
    Barbell for benchpress with a long iron post 2 fairly heavy duty plastic crates, then filled them up with scrap metal thats fairly heavy. Can't really keep track of the weight but I know I can make it heavier than I can lift which is good enough haha. Then set it on two old speakers made in the 70's that are huge but broken, and rest the back on a large cooler with cushion padding.

Then for Dumbell I use obviously the standard large buckets of water or dirt. Vary the amount depending on the exercise. Cant do every dumbell exercise but can do quite a few.

Then for barbell curls I took a backpack, put scrap metal in it and then stick a long metal pipe through the straps and works fine.

Then I use the backpack with a bit less weight for weighted pushups or tricep dips usually as well.

Don't do cardio as much though because I'm a thinnish guy and I don't want to burn calories that much. Can't afford the healthy food to keep up with that. But that along with some pullups on a bar usually the general group for my Ghetto exercise routine. Seems to be doing a decent job. Haven't made or used most of these contraptions for more than a month and already can see some decent results.

Should add before this I almost never exercised, before the crazy contraptions I started with general pushups and crunches. I couldn't even do 5 pushups starting out and now can do about 30. Feels good to not be 100% weak haha. Exercise doesn't really take that long either a set of repetitions takes maybe 5 minutes unless your going overboard. Feels nice after you get used to it.

Thanks
    I've just started trying to lose a bit of weight over the last 2-3 months and just got a bit more serious about it last week after I noticed I dropped 5.5 pounds (to my surprise - from 195 to 189.5).

I used to eat a lot, mind you I wasn't massively overweight or anything (I'm about 5'4 and weighed about 195-200). I'd eat tons of food and not really look at the content on the back of what I was eating. I'm talking like more than half a package of pasta in one sitting, Mcdonalds, other fast foods and junk. It didn't help that I came from a Greek family so my mom would always ensure me and my sister eat everything that was on our plates so to this day I'm still trying to break from that mentality and eat smaller portions.

I've also started eating tons more vegetables that for some reason I never did. For real, I thought I hated green/red peppers and mushrooms but now I eat them all the time. I've cut down on soft drinks and started drinking water or fruit and veggie smoothies.

Exercise wise - 2-3 months ago I started working out just using the elliptical. I was so out of shape at first that I could barely do 10 minutes straight. I'm now capable of doing 30 minutes plus which burns off about 620 calories for me. I also have also started running/walking around a local lake (nearly 3 miles in distance).

While I am eating healthy now, I still treat myself once a week to one of the foods I really love but I know are really bad. Sometimes it may be a small steak, a small dish of pasta, or a desert of some kind. Still gotta indulge once in a while.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    I used to cycle everywhere but then moved somewhere hilly and had to replace it with walking, then i got into a car accident a few years ago and my hips are displaced which means only light walking and swimming for me now otherwise my body aches and hurts for a week afterwards and I get depressed.

I took up pilates after my accident to help strengthen my core muscles and that's lovely and relaxing, I keep meaning to get up 20 mins earlier every morning to do them before work but I love to sleep too much

Maybe I should make more of an effort, how do you guys motivate yourselves if you're tired?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 748 Posts
    Everyone is so healthy here!

I used to be on the Junior National Water Polo Team, but since have stopped playing the sport and exercising in general. Why exercise when you can get fat instead?
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Maybe I should make more of an effort, how do you guys motivate yourselves if you're tired?
    I just think about...how much better my arse will look in a few years if I get off it every so often.

Also I like making my own clothes...I remind myself that if I get any fatter every item of clothing I want to make will cost me more money and take longer to do XD

Depends on whether I'm feeling vain or skint at the time really. Probably not the most noble reasons to want to be healthy but...meh.
    "It felt good to have a purpose, a dream, and to follow it. I never told them I didn't know the way."

The long, hard road out of suck AKA My Sketchbook

19. The Following User Says Thank You to crowbones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk View Post
    ... how do you guys motivate yourselves if you're tired?
    Turkish coffee. doesn`t get better than that. At least for me

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Darjan Jurincic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I do a lot of muscular activity - pushups and the like are a must every day, and I tend to run for a few hours at a time every now and again. I gain muscle (and fat) really easily, so staying fit isn't too much of a hassle for me.

So it kind of feels like cheating when I see people who have to work their arses off to stay in shape while I'm mostly laying back, eating food like there's no tomorrow and working it off with ease.
    Sketchbook of the Now|Visual Lovemaking|Abominables
    I do that thing where you scalp cars-salesmen and call it art.

Thanks
    dkounios: I know what you mean with the elliptical. When I first used one I spent 30 minutes on it but I had it on the lowest setting and stopped a lot. I was dead by the 30 minutes. Now I can do an hour on it without even realizing it.

Angel Intheuk: I originally motived myself by having friends that went to the gym. I did not want to let them down by not going. Now I am in a routine and I don't feel as good when I am not exercising. I don't know if its healthy but on those particularly difficult days I beat myself up emotionally to motivate myself to improve XD. I also exercise around 7 in the morning. I find if I do it right when I wake up I am more likely to do it than later in the day.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofidian View Post
    Angel Intheuk: I originally motived myself by having friends that went to the gym. I did not want to let them down by not going. Now I am in a routine and I don't feel as good when I am not exercising. I don't know if its healthy but on those particularly difficult days I beat myself up emotionally to motivate myself to improve XD. I also exercise around 7 in the morning. I find if I do it right when I wake up I am more likely to do it than later in the day.
    I did the gym thing for a year with a friend too and i agree it was the best motivation, had to stop for money reasons though and the gym got overcrowded

I think I'll put a picture of my arse above my bed as a motivator in the morning next to Cindy Crawfords, that'll work.

If not I'll try the turkish coffee, though I've had that before...and not sure my nervous system can handle it.

Thanks
    I had been exercised about seven years regularly due to my job at that time. I was working as a forest firefighter. I'm a small guy. When I was in good shape - ability-wise, I used to go to a gym, ran twenty minutes hard, lift couple thousands lb as few set of Squat with 150lb to200lb weight, after that 400 to 450lb for leg press till the legs stopped moving. I could learn on a thread mill for minutes at max speed. LOL

Recently, I locked myself in little prison after I found out freedom exists only inside my head/mind. I can sit and mediate one to two hours easily.

I'm kind of feeling I need to join the society again soon so I gonna start physical exercise, weight training by own body weight and stretching, etc.

I'm doubtful about conventional idea of being health. Considering my self experimentation, reducing food consumption almost half, no physical exercise should have me health problem. Well, I'm still in good shape and full of energy strangely. I can do work 16 to 18 hours straight a day.

Anyone who want to maintain optimum health should study nutrition and exercise books to build overall plan for oneself. I'm guilty of being lazy nowadays though.

Believe or not, human does interact surrounding fields of energy. Whoever knows the secret of delicacy of energy control in one's body means becoming invincible health-wise IMHO.

I also definitely recommend meditation for long-term health plus unlocking the creativity and stress release.

Thanks
    I try to do some running, but my left knee starts hating if I do more than 3 hours or so a week. I run stairs 1-2 times a week and sometimes go cycling. Should do something for my upper body to prevent back, shoulder and neck aches.

Thanks
    I love lifting weights and intend to compete in bodybuilding soon. Reg Park would be one of my ideal physiques. Currently lift weights 3 times a week, 2 hours a session, focusing around progressive overload and doing compound movements like squats, deadlifts, benchpress and barbell rows. I guess muscle is like anything else in that if you don't use it you lose it. But it's really shaped my life for the better, not just physically but mentally. Exercise has been a great constant to have in my life to stop me falling in a rut.
    Last edited by B u r l; June 3rd, 2011 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks
    I have to work out daily. I used to not pay any attention to my body. I used to just sit infront of the TV and not do any thing the whole day. Of course I knew it was bad but I just did not care. Now of course things are much different. I have started a rigorous exercise routine where I go to the gym to lift weights and the I go and job for another hour and a half. Why? I have breathing problems of some sort and only jogging seems to work. My back hurts and doing joga and exercise seems to work. Not to mentione all the other little health problems I have.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by B u r l View Post
    I love lifting weights and intend to compete in bodybuilding soon. Reg Park would be one of my ideal physiques. Currently lift weights 3 times a week, 2 hours a session, focusing around progressive overload and doing compound movements like squats, deadlifts, benchpress and barbell rows. I guess muscle is like anything else in that if you don't use it you lose it. But it's really shaped my life for the better, not just physically but mentally. Exercise has been a great constant to have in my life to stop me falling in a rut.
    Do you keep any particular diet routine? I'm not a body builder by any means but I am trying to buff up a bit.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    I didn't realized how this is important. I didn't do any kind of sport or exercise until i reach 29. Then i realized i have back problem, legs, arms, hands. Almost every day i had some kind of pain, or unpleasant feeling in my body. Even when i get up from bed(assuming i will feel much better after resting my body) pain didn't go away.
    So i have started with basic exercise. I payed personal trainer to help me with correct way of doing those exercise, and i can not describe you how good i feel today. Even after 10/15 hours of work on a daily basis, i feel good.
    I go to gym 3 times a week, on 1.5 hour, and it is awesome.

M

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 394 Posts
    I'm one of these people who stay slim no matter what I eat or how little I exercise. That said, I love how good you feel after a long run, or a solid workout.

Take the dog on long walks daily, fresh air is awesome, and also do workouts every couple of days. Tried that P90X thing for a bit, the exercises are very good, but doing an hour or more exercise is horrible, doesn't give your muscles time to recharge, so I tend to take a day or two rest before the next set.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Cycling is the only thing I seem to stick with. Running is much like cycling but you go half as far and feel twice as bad doing it. Too bad I live somewhere where the weather's crap for half the year, it's my dream to go live somewhere where you can bike year-round.

I used to do martial arts but having to go off to class at least three evenings a week was really cutting into my drawing schedule. At least you can cycle to work or squeeze a run in at lunch.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Staying in shape is so hard with my schedule. I have high school and then a job that involves mostly just standing around, when I come home I have chores to do, then I have night classes two days a week, and by the time that's all done I just want to draw. With such little free time, I feel like I want to kick myself whenever I don't spend it drawing. I try to exercise when I can, but it's not easy.
    eat-drink-fuck-draw-sleep. repeat.
    Every critique helps me improve! Have a look at my sketchbook, it won't take long.

It is well with me only when I have a chisel in my hand.
    -Michelangelo

Thanks
    Gonna start gym again next month. Right now, I'm starting on a majority protein diet and has stopped with junk foods and drinks. Also started looking at the Nutrition Facts at the back of each food I buy. My aim is to have a well-built body by the end of the year. I'm betting my girlfriend that I can have a Ryan Reynolds body if I put my mind to it and she happily took the challenge. xD

Thanks
    related:

Exercise and staying healthy?
    ►some guitar feedback please!

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jakobweiq For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast