Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: twilightmoon777's Sketchbook

Thanks

twilightmoon777's Sketchbook

Hello everyone! I use to draw here and there as a kid but never really took it seriously. I want to be an animator so I've been trying to draw upwards of 3 hours a day. I mostly draw from photographs but I'm trying to move away from that and to do more drawings from life. I really want to improve so please offer me critiques! Here is a few drawings I've done as of recently. I have more and I'll upload them a bit later. Thanks and enjoy!
    Last edited by twilightmoon777; August 12th, 2011 at 08:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thank you for commenting on my SB!

I definitely think you're on the right track with the studies! Keep at it, especially with the anatomy studies. You obviously have a lot of commitment!

But be sure to bear in mind not only the contour of things (i.e. their outlines) but their structure; what shapes they're composed of. You might want to practise drawing and shading some spheres, cubes, and cylinders- sounds terribly basic, I know, but you can use these shapes to build a solid structure for your drawings and improve your sense of form.

Good job, anyway!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tippcity For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    oh hey! Are you also learning the names of the skeletal structure? I've always wanted to be able to identify all (or most of) the anatomical structures just for fun. XD

Thanks
    @ tippcity

No problem!

My art teacher use to tell me the exact same thing! I should have listened! XD So I totally agree with your comment, I honestly don't think I have a thorough understanding of basic shapes so I really need to make sure I have those mastered before attempting anything else. Would you recommend I do these studies from real life or is from a photograph okay too?

Thanks for visiting!

@ aerefly

Yeah! It is terribly interesting too, but I've always had a soft spot for biology and physiology and I think having an understand of those two really do help with drawing even if it is just by a little bit.

Thanks
    Well, try it from life first, but there are some useful photos and diagrams out there too! What's important is that you have confidence in drawing these shapes and how they're affected by light and shadow.

Thanks
    Hey, Twilight, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook.

I agree with Tippcity in that you should start with basic shapes first. As well, draw from life as much as possible.
    Sketchbook: There and Back again Updated- 7/04/12

Thanks
    Hey there!
    I'm liking the variety in this sketchbook.

Sometimes your lines seem to lack confidence though. They are a little bit hatchy in places. If you look at your second drawing of the car the lines seem a lot more fluid. I always find that if I am unsure of what I'm drawing the lines always suffer and the best way to combat this is to draw every single day without fail.

And of course have confidence in your work. I am a firm believer into the "fake it til you make it" approach

Good job and keep it up!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Phloof For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ tippcity

Thanks!

@ Matthew

Yeah, definitely. I'll keep working at it. Thanks for visiting!

@ Phloof

Yeah I know.

You're right though, the more I draw (especially if it is the same object) the more confident I become and the better my lines get.

Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks
    Here are a few new things that I've done.

Thanks
    Your dedication to study is amazing Keep studying!

Of my observation of your studies; I think your pencil strokes need to be a little more longer.

And try to achieve symmetry of your drawings. It's still slanted here and there. I know you're studying; but that's exactly the right time to practice. xD; It's not easy. (For tips; try to look at your drawing from the behind (by flipping it back & looking from it under the light) because then your eye will register the picture as something 'new' and will notice the inconsistencies and faults in your drawing.)

Keep drawing!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trefle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Heey it's lookin good, not much to add that other guys have said, would maybe just say if you need a programme to start, then you can't go wrong with Head & Hands by Loomis imho, check here for it.. Yeah Yeah Loomis! =) Keep posting and have fun! =)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Trefle

Yeah I know! XD
    I use to draw upside down too as an exercise for learning how to "see" better. I wonder if that will help with my slanting-ness too.

@ Kungfoowiz

Thanks a lot! That link is super helpful.

Thanks
    I've been on vacation for about 2 weeks and haven't really had time to draw but I managed to crank out a few things. Nothing exciting, just some anatomy and basic shape studies. Right now I'm working on improving my line quality and getting a more solid grasp of fundamentals. I also feel like I'm starting to understand shading a bit so I'm happy about that. I've been trying to fill a sketchbook up a month but June is already over and I'm not even close to being done with the first sketchbook I've bought. Hopefully I can have it filled up by the end of this month. I really need to step my game up eh? :/

Sketchbook got a little wet on that last page there. Took it to the water park and my little cousin splashed me while I was drawing.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast