Sketchbook: twilightmoon777's Sketchbook - Page 3

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Cider

Thanks! I like your sketchbook a lot too. You were able to improve so much over such a short period of time. It's inspiring.

@Prometheus09

Yeah I saw that portrait you did. Good stuff dude! It must have taken quite awhile but as you said the result was well worth it. Thanks for the suggestion. Somebody already suggested that I start doing more gestures but I've just never gotten around to doing them. There is just so much to draw already. lol I'll get working on those though. Gotta teach myself to not get so bogged down by the details.

@DesertDemon

Thanks for the comments/suggestions. Me and outlining go way back but I sense it's time to let each other go or at the very least take a break from one another. XD I'll start being more aware of how I handle line from now on especially when doing teeth. Last thing I want are my faces having jacked up teeth.

@bowiepunk15

Thanks for the suggestions! I'd didn't even think to think about drawing teeth/hair in those ways.

@Okamichu

Thanks dude! I appreciate it.

Quick update. So I've been drawing eggs recently. XD I don't know if I'll try and do 100 of these but I'll at least keep drawing them until I get sick of them. I tell you though for such a seemly simple object there is quite a lot going on there. It's been good practice though. The very first pic is one I did today and the other one is from yesterday. I also drew some more faces today, taking everybody's critiques, suggestions, and comments into consideration. Don't know if I see much of an improvement but let me know if I'm heading in the right direction. Proportions still need to be worked out, especially with the eyes I don't know why I made them so tiny on some of the faces, as well as adding in a bit of shading. I think number 53 is my best one out of the four, as it should be considering it was the last one I did. :p Stay tune for more horrible faces as I try to figure all of this stuff out. :

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for taking time to look through my SB and leave a comment. I really appreciate it.
    I see so much improvement from your first post to last. Your portraits have better foundations: You seem to be drawing from the inside out (construction) rather than approaching it from a contour perspective (outlining).
    It's good to learn more than one approach...It gives you more to work with.
    Keep it up!
    ~zombifried

"Try not. Do or do not!! There is no try"
    -Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

zombifried's sketchbook
    zombifried's sculpture thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ zombifried

Thanks for stopping by!

Okay, so I didn't do too much today. Well at least it felt like I didn't but I did mess around with some pastels, did some quick sketches of my back yard/dog/whaever, and went to a 2 hour figure drawing session where I huffed and puffed about how hard it was drawing the model. I complained internally. lol Working with pastels is extremely fun but a lot more difficult than I had imagined. Probably doesn't help that I'm using the cheap kind either. :p But I thought the attempt was okay...I could have and should have pushed it though. Seems a little flat, no? Also, I KNOW I KNOW I need to press down on the paper harder. The drawings from my figure drawing class, no doubt especially the 60 sec poses, are extremely hard to see. Sorry about that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more faces and sketches from my figure drawing class. Anatomy is still way off but I think I'm getting there. One thing that really worries me though is the stiffness of my figures. When I draw I try and draw from the elbow and try to put together the pose from the inside out yet still the figure looks off. Perhaps I just need to practice more? Or is there something glaringly obvious that I'm doing or thinking of incorrectly? Also, I think my faces are getting slightly better. Still need to work on proportions but it is what it is. And does anyone have any more tips in regards to drawing hair? I know you shouldn't focus on drawing each individual strand and should instead think of the hair as a shape but what exactly does thinking of it as a shape entail? I mean after drawing the basic shape of the hair then what?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Twilight, thanks for stopping by my SB! I'm a little jealous, I have to say, that you show the amount of improvement you have in so little time! Thanks, I needed a kick in the rear A suggestion I'd make is to keep doing life studies, not just objects, but people too whenever possible! Don't stop drawing from reference books, but drawing from life will help you learn that much faster.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ dawnusllaw

Thanks for stopping by!

Here are some more faces. Been doing some still lives of tomatoes too but they are absolutely horrible. lol Tomatoes are way harder to draw than eggs. XD I'll post one of my attempts after doing a few more of them. And last but not least, here are some 30 sec gestures. I'm trying to do a page, front and back, a day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stoping by my little sketchbook, I see you are Improveing greatly since you started, Improvments in sketchbooks like yours is why I started mine. Some of your Direct observations are really sharp. I hope to see more of you.

Last edited by Stryno; July 6th, 2012 at 12:05 AM.
    Sketchbook-Stryno's Thoughts
    "I spent my childhood dreaming about who I would be as an adult, now I am an adult I spend my life dreaming of who I was as a child"
    "I play Guitar because I like music, I draw because I have to."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, looking through this thread is amazing. The work and tenacity here is really inspiring. Consider yourself subbed.

I hate just leaving a thread without some sort constructive critism, but honestly, you're doing the one thing you- and I, and everyone else- needs to be doing- drawing all the time! And, you're being incredibly observant and thorough to boot. Keep at em'.

sketch brick ->

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, dropped by to say wow, astounding work
    but i'm going to offer a suggestion, make your pencil lines more fluid, atm it's quite messy, and preferably use a darker pencil (4b onwards, you can draft in hb,2b though)

or maybe you should draw straight with pens and live with the mistakes ;D

my tumblr.

my sketchbook! <- sketchbook, drop me a critque!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gen5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Styrno

Thank you! I find your sketchbook to be highly inspirational as well. We'll get there eventually! Just gotta keep pushing. ^^

@ crow winters

Awww, thanks a lot. I appreciate it. Gotta keep drawing..all day..everyday. It's the least I can do if I'm going to be bumming around for the summer. :p

@ gen5

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed snooping around in here.

When you talk about the fluidity of my lines are you talking specifically about my gestures or just my work in general? Because I know my gestures can be quite the train wreck at times. XD Also, thanks for the tip about using a darker pencil. I normally use 2B and just try to press down harder but it's totally against my nature, I just can't do it. So I definitely need to start using a softer pencil for general sketching. Oh and I actually started a sketchbook where I use only non-erasable tools. It's so stressful! LOL But I know it's good for me! Anyway, thanks for stopping by.

Okay, not much today. Sort of feeling out of my element but I did go to figure drawing class today. We had a male model...and he was kind of cute. Unfortunately though my drawings aren't so cute. >_>

It's obvious that I need to work more on anatomy. Once again, I apologize for how washed out everything seems. I'll work on getting softer pencils so things become easier to see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work on those studies! I think tho that you should try to practice abit more on drawing the basic figure or the construction of the figure. I've tried both Loomis and bridgman and find them abit to hard to start with.

I found this really helpful to begin with.

twilightmoon777's Sketchbook

hope it helps!

Sketchbook -------- Blog

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bowandbrush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Bowandbrush

Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for stopping by.

Okay so it's been awhile. Maybe 2 weeks plus? Well anyway, I finally finished my 100 heads challenge! I learned a lot and I did improve, even though it wasn't by much, so I'm pretty satisfied (at the moment at least). I'll continue to work on faces but I want to start doing them more from life so expect to see my mugshot around here. On to the updates!

I've been doing a ton of stuff, mostly anatomy studies using various tutorials, but I just decided to upload a handful of stuff. We've got stuff from my figure drawing class, a still life that I did in pastel, and a few studies of this Japanese musician whom I'm going to attempt to draw for a friend for her birthday, and random sketches of shirtless peoples.

As a side note, I've been noticing that lately I've started to experiment more and to not be as self-conscious and anal about getting "messy". It's a nice feeling but as a result a lot of my stuff looks like crap. Haha It's all good though, as long as I've learned something from making it right? XD

On to the drawings!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man your getting good fast... And your last post has some nice perky boobs boobs brings in the crowds, I didn't care for the rest of him though... XD

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ element1988

Ahh I see...so your suggestion is more boobs? Why didn't I think of that before?? Haha XD

Thanks for stopping by dude!

Here is a still life I did yesterday. Not sure how long I spent on it as I kept getting up and taking breaks. LOL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for stopping by my book.

Yeah I need to just set objects up and get out to draw. I have been using to many photos.

I really like the X-Box controller and the Fighter pilot. also the studies of all the toys is a great Idea. Keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by Pete.

Okay, here is a drawing that I did for a friend. It's of a Japanese musician by the name of Tora from the band alice nine. I think it came out okay but once again I've got to be more mindful of the underlying structure. I also need to look at a few good hair tutorials. Drawing hair is so frustrating and confusing. the whole time I was just like FML. >_>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Self-portraits and a few random drawings. Note, non of these self-portraits look like me imho. Haha, they look like three different people. >_> Gonna keep trying though until they do though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another self-portrait. I was told that this one looks the most like me but still not quite there. The eyes are tricky and I don't think I've been able to get those down quite yet. Blahh, I'll try again tomorrow. LOL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook twilight, I can see the improvement! Now its time for you to update.

If you have a moment, Help me improve with critiques. thank you Sketchbook

Awesome Sketchbooks
    nim Mechanical Man King Kostas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really liked your shading work on the screwdriver and marker...your studies are encouraging and motivating...don't give up...you and I are in the same boat...except your starting 20 years earlier than me XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really digging the facial portraits, especially in post #76 (though his face does taper a bit too much near the bottom). Keep on going!

Everything is better with dinosaurs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ TNiznet

Thanks dude! Yeah I know, I've been so busy lately. Hopefully I can get some breathing room and find more time to post.

@ wannabeanimator

Thanks for stopping by! Me...motivating? You're the one whose motivating! You're never too old! What kind of animation are you interested in?

@ Brandon Pilcher

Thanks! Yeah I know, I need to do more anatomy studies. I'm working on it. :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time no see? I've been terribly busy lately so I haven't had the time to draw as much as I would have liked but I've been doing what I can. Here is a portrait that I tried to do for a friend a couple of days ago. It's suppose to be of a famous actor. Let's see if you guys can figure out who it is. Personally I think it looks nothing like him, I have extreme issues with capturing the "likeness" of an individual. Aside from that though I think the shading and overall construction came out alright. An improvement over my last portraits I would definitely say! Also I just got a mini tablet, can anyone recommend some tutorials I should look up in regards to digital painting. I'd really like to start doing value studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoops, forgot the pics. >_>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Thanks for the comment in my SB.

Wow! Such a big improvement from the first page! Your shading and lines are getting so strong Keep it up! The last portrait in particular is your best yet I think!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey twilightmoon777, thanks for checking out my sketchbook I'm guessing it's Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Wow! You have improved a lot! Your lines are so much more confident now, your still lifes are looking great and your heads are coming along nicely. Keep on trucking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's definitely improvement over the thread. Keep at it. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightmoon777 View Post

@ wannabeanimator

Thanks for stopping by! Me...motivating? You're the one whose motivating! You're never too old! What kind of animation are you interested in?
    Thanks Twilight...and thanks for checking out my sketchbook and providing some input. Animation? Right now, I re-discovered 2D with AnimePro
    and as time allows I will start playing with Blender for some 3D stuff. All of this motivated me to get back to art; and so I am focusing on my
    drawing skills...lately....

I look forward for you updates....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha, you beat me to it! As I looked through your sb I was gonna recommend you do some life drawings, but then you have! Great progress, the guy in post 76 is really good and the xbox pad is very well shaded. Try and do more quick stuff, get outside with your sketchpad and draw people whenever you can. Great work.

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook! I can really see the improvement, what I suggest (although a lot of people have suggested it before) is that instead of drawing your observational sketches line for line you think of the general shapes they make and construct it out of that(balls,cylinders, cubes etc.) I will show you a video although you sort of have to wait it out a little till you see the concept I am trying to get around. Skip to 5:17 to see the point I am trying to get at and then continue it with the second video. If you can see it helps you constructively draw from imagination better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNhF...e=relmfu(sorry can't post two videos )

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kamikazel33t For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2