Sketchbook: twilightmoon777's Sketchbook - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    RomanRiot is offline Dedicated Student of the Arts Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Twilightmoon, I love the progression of your sketchbook! Keep up those still-lifes (still-lives? lol) I disagree with some previous posters here, as long as your proportions are good, the quality of pencil shading you do depends on what you're going for. I for one like your smaller hashy marks, it speaks to a quick gestural shading. However, you should still make sure to practice other types of shading and blending. Keep going and keep using your "Anatomy for the Artist" (I love that book, lol).

"It is ten per cent how you draw, and ninety per cent what you draw. "
    -Andrew Loomis

Check out my sketchbook!

My Profile Albums
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RomanRiot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you're off to a good start already having a go at anatomy studies but especially the still lives!
    I think the best thing to do at the moment is just to keep going. Sometimes time is the only thing holding one back.

May Strength Be Kind and Courage Gentle
    Princes of the Universe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Call Me Bruce! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ RomanRiot

LOL

Thanks! I actually liked my smaller hashy marks too. :p I was kind of sad/disappointed when people were all like, "Nooooo, bad bad, you should crosshatch"! But I agree, I need to work on a variety of different styles. The last thing I want to do is get super comfortable with one style and not be able to do the others.

@ Bruce

Thanks! Yeah I know, just being able to see my progression though is a great motivator. I'll keep at it and see where this thing goes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more stuff, I just finished my 80 page sketchbook! It took me nearly 2 months to do it but I did it. Here is some of the last stuff I sketched in it. The last four pictures are what I did today in my new sketchbook. Those gestures were done at posemaniacs. Boy were they difficult and that plantain was just argh. :/ Still trying to figure out color and shading. Also, when I try to upload from my computer I always get an error. The only way I can upload is if I first transfer my pictures to photobucket and then upload from there. Anybody know what's up with that?

Attached Images Attached Images                        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice update. Posemaniac gestures are looking good and I like the plantain you colored it looks great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    5 stars! Merry christmas! *****

MY DAILY SKETCHES

If you can read this, I gave you 5 stars

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    5 stars! Merry christmas! *****

MY DAILY SKETCHES

If you can read this, I gave you 5 stars

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whewww, haven't posted squat in awhile. After my last post, sad to say..haven't been drawing as much. BUT, since the new year began I've been going crazy! Here is a little something that I did maybe 2 weeks ago. I was pretty proud of it then but looking at it now I'm just like ahh this sucks sooo bad. Haha Still trying to figure out shading! I'm still currently studying abroad now, so I don't really have time to scan my work and post it but I'm almost done with the program. When that happens I'll be drawing even more than I do now and will have lots of terrible sketches for you guys to look at so stay tune! ;D

My work from 2 weeks ago. Took me maybe 3 hours. Definitely could have pushed it further but I got tired of working on it. :/

What the heck...took a few more pictures of other things I did too...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep at those still lives! and don't forget to mix the anatomy studies with some figure drawing (from life if you can) and maybe some master/other artist copies.

May Strength Be Kind and Courage Gentle
    Princes of the Universe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Call Me Bruce! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to see you back working on the still life drawings! Keep at it, and consider working with simple shapes, their form, and how the light plays off them. Whatever you do, don't stop. Make one after another, but critique yourself, learn what you can from each piece, and constantly strive to improve.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rishenko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! Yeah, I've been trying to increase my drawing time and step up my game but I tell yeah it's been a lot harder than I expected. I just hope I'm improving. I definitely won't be giving up though. After I finish filling up this second sketchbook (which should be soon ) I'll start posting again. I've been filling a little stuck lately so I could really use some constructive criticism and guidance and this is the place for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey great improvement and progression here! keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here goes a massive dump! I just finished up my second sketchbook and I've got to say it feels great! It's good to be able to reflect back on how far I've come. I see a bit of improvement but I'm still nowhere near the level I want to be at. Knowing this has only strengthen my determination though and I definitely won't be giving up or stopping anytime soon. I've mostly been working with rendering but I've also been working out of Bridgman but I didn't feel the need to include any of those studies. Crosshatching is a challenge but I feel as if I'm kind of starting to get a hang of it. I just need to put in more work.

I have a little tiny sketchbook that I made that I hope to use to do studies of heads out of. My goal is to draw at least 100 different heads in different poses in order to get a better grasp of human faces, expressions, etc. Plus I'm currently on the chapter/section of Bridgman dealing with faces and I think this goal of drawing 100 faces will compliment and reinforce what I'll learn in Bridgman really well.

In addition to that, I hope to start posting more finished pieces from life and photograph as well as some master studies so stay tuned for that! I'm also going to be posting a lot more in pen. I've set up another goal/challenge for myself and that is to fill up an entire sketchbook using only pen. The reason I'm doing this is because I feel as if I'm still very hesitant and afraid of making mistakes. I hope that by forcing myself to get use to drawing in pen I'll grow out of that. Haha XD

Anyway, here is the last bit of work that I've done out of my recently filled sketchbook.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to twilightmoon777 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, what an improvement. You've really trained your eye to see the minute change in values and also increased the range of values you put on the paper. I'm jealous man! Keep it up and complete more sketchbooks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @twilightmoon777 hey thanks for commenting on my sketchbook. You've got some great stuff here. I can really see the improvement in your form, proportion and most of all values. That's one of the many skills I really struggle with. If I had one recommendation, I would say work on perspective (another one I struggle with). Keep up the great work.

Looking for a mentor
    If you have a moment I would love any tips or critiques that might help me improve my work.

My sketchbook (please leave a critique)

SSG Group
    twilightmoon777
    Streben

21. The Following User Says Thank You to phatbuddha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for giving my sketchbook some feedback, thought I'd return the gesture. You've done some good studies so far, I can see your improvement already. Like your earlier post mentioned, filling a sketchbook a month is a good discipline but can be a hard task. Although if you're determined you can end up producing some unusual creative ideas as the end of the month nears and you realise how many blank pages you have left to fill.

Another discipline is doing daily self-portraits, have you tried that? I hate my face and it wasn't a pleasant experience having to stare at and study it, but I found by doing that my drawing improved quite quickly in a short amount of time, and as it becomes tedious drawing the same thing everyday you'll be more enthusiastic to experiment with techniques, colour etc... and can get some unexpected results. Anyway, keep doing what you're doing, you're on the right track.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mawilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @PerfectGet
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

@phatbuddha
    Thank you! Yeah I know, perspective really is a pain. Recommend any good books on the subject?

@ mawilson
    Thanks! Yeah, I pretty much gave up on the idea of filling up a sketchbook a month especially since most of the sketchbooks I currently own have 200+ pages in them. So instead of thinking in the amount of pages I fill up I just try to think in the amount of hours I contribute to drawing. It can be pretty hard to set aside some time though. especially when you have so many distractions. XD

I haven't really tried self-portraits. I think I've only drawn myself 4-5 times in my entire life and each time the finished project looked nothing like me. Haha That is a good idea though. I'll probably give it a try once I finish my drawing 100 different heads project.

Okay. so mini update. I recently just finished a piece. I spent maybe 7 hours on it and used the photography below it as reference. I can't say that I'm all that happy with it. The proportions are terribly off, I could have gone darker, and the drawing looks flat. Despite the flaws, I'm happy I did it as I think I learned quite a bit from doing this drawing. Perhaps I will try to do the same drawing again a few months from now. It will be interesting to see what changes. :p Aside from that, I've started on the 100 heads challenge. Drawing heads are crazzzzzyyyy fun but also mad frustrating. lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for commenting on my SB.

I noticed that you progressed since your first drawing. Your lines are looking better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first of all- good choice with animation!!! It's probably the funnest job in the world
    From what I've seen of your work so far, your making all the same mistakes I did before I went to college ^_^

First, give yourself permission to draw absolute messy junk drawings. Right now your clinging to the contour line like it's keeping you afloat. Go pick up some crayons, or chalk - great big thick ones- and do some gestures with those. Forget about the outline, forget about the details, the nose and eyes and eyelashes.

Think about movement, directions of the big masses, - what is the character doing? are they stretching or squishing? are they coming forward in space? which leg is their weight supported on?

Below is one of my gestures. you can see there's almost no detail- though I did add the stripes of the shirt because they helped describe the directions of the forms.

in animation, it's important to really think about movement, direction, balance, and weight. Details are just decorations you put on later.

The best lesson I learned was that each sketch I put in my book is completely unimportant. It doesn't need to be pretty, or clean. I can scrawl on 4-5 arms until I find the position I like- or abandon it to move on to another one.

As soon as you get over the feeling that each drawing is precious- you can really get moving. A sketchbook is all about learning- pushing yourself - ignoring your comfort zone and growing.

do perspective studies with the goal of solid construction- not with the goal of a pretty picture. If you do the construction correctly - you will accidentally create a good picture. If you set out to create a pretty picture- you will rarely accidentally get good structure.

You can do pretty pictures on pretty picture days- my sketch book comes with me everywhere- and I try to draw everything. more of it is bad than good- but it all teaches me something- show cases my weaknesses- and it's just damned fun

Hope this helps!
    Happy sketching!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Rhubix

Thank you so much for your very helpful comment/critique! I agree 100%, I still have a tendency to get stuck on details and to be overly stressed out about whether this drawing or that drawing looks "pretty". It's a mind set that I'm trying to change. >_> I've got some left over charcoal that I was given years ago. When I get the chance, I'll break those out and start doing some gestures. I'll be good for me.

Okay, here is this weeks update! Got a little bit of everything. Some Bridgman, eye, nose. and ear studies, faces from my 100 face challenge, and a value and color study. I think the value study came out okay enough but I'm not too happy with the color study I did. It was a blast using color pencils but the clothes of the figure look flat. I think I rushed through and didn't really take the time to analyze the folds in the clothes. I also realize now that I need to study cloth and clothing! So hopefully next week I'll be able to squeeze some of that in. Anyway, on to the drawings!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A life study I did today. I don't know...not too happy with it. I think it looks a little flat? Also, drawing cloth is sooo difficult! >_< Need to do more of these...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stuff from the figure drawing class I just started. A little old nice lady gave me the big piece of paper to mess around with. :p

Two quick life studies, both in pencil but one I went over with permanent marker because it smudged and was a little hard to see.

And finally, some more faces for my 100 heads challenge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of nice work in here. You're doing great, shading is coming along nicely and your observation of things is really progressing.

I think you could maybe look at working on constructing human heads from three dimensional shapes rather than lines though. They're losing believability because you're drawing everything in outline.

Anyway, not sure if that makes any sense, my concentration is through the floor today.

Good stuff, keep going and good luck!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Candra H View Post
    Lots of nice work in here. You're doing great, shading is coming along nicely and your observation of things is really progressing.

I think you could maybe look at working on constructing human heads from three dimensional shapes rather than lines though. They're losing believability because you're drawing everything in outline.

Anyway, not sure if that makes any sense, my concentration is through the floor today.

Good stuff, keep going and good luck!
    Thanks for stopping by. I'm currently working with Bridgman right now to address that problem but I just can't seem to shake the habit of outlining everything. Do you know of any other tutorials/exercises that I can do to help with that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This morning's breakfast...EGGS! I had to resist eating them until I was finish drawing them. Hardest thing EVER! Haha I'm going to try and do a ton of these. Maybe I should do 100? LOL They will be good practice for value, perspective, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to say that I think this is an awesome sketchbook. Your enthusiam and sincerity really shows. Keep on keepin' on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your feedback, twilightmoon! I can see your progression in your sketchbook here, and that's great... like a few others have said, I guess all I can suggest (coming from a guy who is also not a pro lol) is to really focus on the gestures, but also do some little sort "stick figure" or skeletal-type sketches of the human form. Very basic looking, but great for getting the idea of proportions and how things are moving. I'm still working on that myself, but it's much better than the stuff I used to draw as a kid... I always wanted to draw the outlines and edges and details first, but now I start as soft and simple as possible. The portrait of the couple I drew (on page 1 of my book) started out basically as just very rough ovoid shapes drawn with a very hard pencil, probably a 3H or 4H. Then I just drew in the lines where the eyes, nose, mouth should be, and then started drawing more very, very rough ovoids to approximate the locations of the ears, eyeballs, etc. It took me forever and a day to actually complete it, but it was worth it to see the look on their faces when I gave it to them!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Prometheus09 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, twilightmoon, thanks again for commenting on my sketchbook. Thought I'd pop over and return the favour (a bit late, I know).

The only substantive criticism I can offer is for the faces, something that's already been mentioned - your tendency to outline features. I've found that several important features (the details of the nose, the lower lip, the crease at the corners of the mouth that probably has a name but I don't know what it is) are best suggested just by a little curve rather than being fully outlined. Think about it like this - anything that you outline is emphasised, and therefore tends to jump out at the viewer, so you should only outline stuff that you want to jump out. If, for example, you outline every tooth individually, that'll make the teeth stand out and the person will look extremely toothy and a little unsettling. This is just what I've found in my fairly limited experience.

Oh, and your cartoon eyes are lovely.

Within him Hell he brings, and round about him, nor from Hell one step, no more than from himself, can fly by change of place.

Sketchbook

39. The Following User Says Thank You to DesertDemon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your problem with your outlines is your line quality. You're using this heavy, thick line for the entire face, which is making it look flat and unrealistic. For the lines inside the face, like wrinkles, jawbone, etc. use a thinner, lighter line. As someone else said, you do not need to outline every tooth in the mouth, just use a light line or no lines at all (kinda like this http://www.drawfacesnow.com/Smile4.gif) Also, when you're drawing hair, don't worry about drawing every little strand. Think of hair as having a shape, rather than being bunch of lines.

Btw, nice job on those eggs!

Last edited by Amber Marie; June 25th, 2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: fixed the link

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber Marie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Um, wow, I totally love your skull practices--I'm a sucker for skulls! They look seriously great, and your shading has improved so much from the first few posts! Everything looks amazing, and your dedication and amazing progress is really inspiring! I think I do agree with everyone about branching out from contour lines, but I think you've already started addressing it! Keep up the good work! Love what you're doing so far!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8