Thanks

Need Advice Pricing Artwork

I do mainly color pencil work, and occasionally b/w graphite. I'm concerned whether or not I've overpriced my work.

The list is as follows:

PORTRAITS

Head & Neck/s no Background - $50

Full Body w/ Full Background - $150

WILDLIFE/ PETS

Animal/s without Background - $50

Full Body Animal/s with Full Background - $150

I then add the cost of the illustration boards I use depending on the clients size request, and they are as follows:

14 x 17 = $20
    11 x 14 = $12
    9 x 12 = $9

Please let me know if I need to change this, or if it seems reasonable. Thanks.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    How long does it take you to complete something? Times that by what you need an hour to pay your bills. In other words if it takes you a week to make a piece how much do you want to get paid for a weeks work?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    How long does it take you to complete something? Times that by what you need an hour to pay your bills.
    Are market prices/quality of the work not a factor then? I mean, if I you price something without taking those factors into account, is it even going to sell at all?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misplacedhippos View Post
    Are market prices/quality of the work not a factor then? I mean, if I you price something without taking those factors into account, is it even going to sell at all?
    I don't think that matters except in a general sense. Quality is subjective to a large extent. Market forces determine price. You can ask whatever you want but the downward pressure on the price keeps you from getting too out of control.
    People always want a deal, you want as much money as possible for what you do because that insures you can continue to do it. Thats what controls price, you put something up for sale, something that someone thinks is a value at the price being offered. If they don't think that you won't sell it forcing you to lower your price. The more people you can get to pay you the price you want the more someone is willing to pay that price without haggling.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Aleio, take a look at the "Employment Discussion" and even "Art Discussion" areas with the search tool for many, many, many threads on this topic.

Thanks
    Thanks guys.

dpaint, the time it takes me to complete a piece varies quite a bit depending on the size, amount of detail, etc. However if I were to charge by the hour, things might become too pricey for most people. I'm trying to keep the formula simple, so it's relegated to the amount of work, size, and paper media.

I'm starting a small business with both my artwork, and pet sitting hand in hand. I haven't got a lot of bills currently, and I'm living with my Mom to save money. I'm okay with these prices for now, and as the demand increases, so will the price range.

Just wanted to check what you guys thought.

Thanks
    Being a cheap artist is a hard ghetto to break out of.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Atreides For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleio View Post
    Thanks guys.

dpaint, the time it takes me to complete a piece varies quite a bit depending on the size, amount of detail, etc. However if I were to charge by the hour, things might become too pricey for most people. I'm trying to keep the formula simple, so it's relegated to the amount of work, size, and paper media.

I'm starting a small business with both my artwork, and pet sitting hand in hand. I haven't got a lot of bills currently, and I'm living with my Mom to save money. I'm okay with these prices for now, and as the demand increases, so will the price range.

Just wanted to check what you guys thought.
    When starting a small business, or dreaming about having one, you need to find a market niche that will enable you to make a decent living.

As far as valuing yourself and your work - it is often better to give out a few freebies and make people feel like they are getting a $500 piece for free or as a gift, then selling it for $50, because you think that's the best you can get.

If you don't have a market that you can live off of, the you really don't have a market at all.

People are funny when it comes to exchanging money, the minute they pay for something, even if it's only one tenth of the value, they believe they paid full VALUE for it, and not too long after it, they start to expect it.
    Starting to undercharge a lot doesn't train people into valuing you later on. It trains people into thinking they are getting fair value.

Without knowing your target audience, your local economy considerations and the value of the materials and how much time you are spending on each piece, I'm inclined to say you are not asking for enough money.

Quote Originally Posted by Misplacedhippos View Post
    On the flip side, if a price is too low, people start thinking "What is wrong with it?"

Thanks
    Connie, thanks. I agree with you. I was searching around earlier for some sort of formula to help me calculate everything into one price, and I stumbled upon this page here http://www.inspiri-art-and-craft.com...g-formula.html

It does explain a lot, and really could help me get over the issue of being sensitive about overpricing. This way, I'd know I was getting my time's worth at least. I just did a calculation using this method, and I'm surprised at how much I would be getting. Do you think this method would be reasonable to use?

My only worry then would be, how do I advertise my pricing on my website? I can't just list the prices like I would've before, because there would be obvious variation between pieces. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    You can say "Will range between $XXXX and $XXXX" and whatever factors effect the cost, but keep in mind people usually assume the least cost, no matter what you write. Or you can just ask that clients contact you for a quote.