where do i find inspiration?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In the stickies.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Specifically this one.

Needless to say if you came to the art discussion thread to look for an inspiration topic and missed it then you'll be needing just a teeny weeny nudge in the right direction. Or perhaps a shove with a bulldozer...

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Beeston For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not to sound too cliche, but inspiration can be found everywhere.

I recommend you take some time for self-reflection, ask yourself a few questions. Have you felt inspired before? If so, when? How? What exactly inspired you? Don't limit your inspirations to just a few, minute sources, expand your horizons.

Some of my inspiration is drawn from fellow artists (no pun intended), whether they're just starting out and struggling, experienced and skilled, or well-seasoned and redefining the industry as we speak, many of them have made an impact on my art direction and it's style.

Music is also very inspiring, and again, expand your horizons and listen to different music, both old and new, popular and obscure, you'll be surprised at what you may find. If I never did that, I wouldn't exactly have as many favorites as I do now. I mostly listen to Metal, rock, and electronica/techno.

My favorite band currently is Kamelot, they're in a sub-genre called symphonical metal (basically, metal heavily influenced by classical/orchestral music, and it shows), give them a good listen, you might find them 'stimulating'. I'd be willing to share many more of my favorites if you'd like.

A few good websites to expand your music tastes - Stumbleaudio and Musicovery, although I prefer Stumbleaudio. Youtube can be a good choice, look up obscure bands, try to find them, and check out related videos/music, I've been pleased with some of the results.

StumbleUpon also serves me inspiration, just simply discovering something new and potentially insightful or creative gets the juices flowing.

In a nutshell, expand your horizons, don't just replace the old with the new, broaden them, understand that anything can inspire.

"Winners never quit, quitters never win"- Vince Lombardi
    "When both sides are convinced they're going to lose, they're both right" - Murphy's Law
    "Good artists copy, great artists steal" - Picasso
    "An object in motion tends to stay in motion" - Isaac Newton
    Equipment: Pencil, paper, VisTablet, Painter X
    Goals:
    Invest 2,000+ hours into practice [110/2,000(?)]
    Successfully train my off-hand [Not Yet]
    Start participating at EnterVOID [Eventually]
    My SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have a stash of it under my bed.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by damascus57 View Post
    Specifically this one.

Needless to say if you came to the art discussion thread to look for an inspiration topic and missed it then you'll be needing just a teeny weeny nudge in the right direction. Or perhaps a shove with a bulldozer...
    Actually, this had to be moved from Sketchbooks. So, -2 points.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In my stack of monthly bills. I could send you some if you thing it would help?

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Another approach is turn off your TV, computer, radio, whatever, get out of your normal place and spend some time with yourself. Walk in the woods or an unfamiliar part of town. Sit in a coffee shops and let the ambient murmur of conversation wash over you. Sketch aimlessly, without plan. Inspiration will bubble up on its own.

I think it was Samuel Delaney (or it might not have been) who said that ideas were printed on the backs of lables of 12-year-old scotch. But not all of them, so you'd have to sample as many as possible to be sure.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,887 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    Another approach is turn off your TV, computer, radio, whatever, get out of your normal place and spend some time with yourself. Walk in the woods or an unfamiliar part of town. Sit in a coffee shops and let the ambient murmur of conversation wash over you. Sketch aimlessly, without plan. Inspiration will bubble up on its own.

I think it was Samuel Delaney (or it might not have been) who said that ideas were printed on the backs of lables of 12-year-old scotch. But not all of them, so you'd have to sample as many as possible to be sure.
    25 points to Nezumi for quoting Sam Delaney; I'm impressed you even know his name. You get another 25 if you've ever finished one of his books.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Outside of your head.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    25 points to Nezumi for quoting Sam Delaney; I'm impressed you even know his name. You get another 25 if you've ever finished one of his books.
    Two, actually. I've read Babel-17 several times (and loved it), and The Einstein Intersection once, although it was so long ago I barely remember it.

Ever read R.A. Lafferty? Some great wordplay and enthusiastic dream logic there that could help stoke the inspiration furnaces.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah - good on you Zumi! That was pulling some deep knowledge there! Usually people quote Ellison in respones to this question, "I get my ideas from a PO Box in Schenectady, Illinois." (or somehting to that effect).

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Usually people quote Ellison in respones to this question, "I get my ideas from a PO Box in Schenectady, Illinois." (or somehting to that effect).
    Poughkeepsie. Ellison gets his delivered monthly from an idea service in Poughkeepsie, NY.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Find it? I need a restraining order against it.

But seriously. Here's my method: always be producing. If you're always using ideas up then you always have to be hunting for more. You don't have the luxury of throwing them back in the pond if you don't like the colour of their little tentacles. You just run with what you've got and hope the next one is bigger. Eventually you get smart and start writing the extra ones down. Then you have a breeding population and after 10 years of doing this you can't get rid of the little buggers. They jump up and down on your brain all night.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes I just don't do anything for a while (including browsing internet, watching TV etc.) and relax. Then I get bored. Out of lack of interesting things happening, my brain starts to naturally create some ideas to become occupied with something. That's the moment when I don't really need to look for inspiration beacause it almost finds me.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You find inspiration wherever you find inspiration.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's rare to find inspiration standing inside you like a fully grown tree. It happens only a couple of times in a lifetime.

And that isn't really the case either. It's just that it's been growing without us noticing.

We have to plant seeds. Tiny, insignificant things, keep them watered, prune them as saplings, and go on planting new ones when the thing, half grown, turns out diseased.

Patience, care and love with your planting is the only preparation for inspiration's harvest.

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Find it? I need a restraining order against it.
    I can totally relate to this. Inspiration has a habit of gnawing on my head when i should be doing other things. Particularly when I am working on my essays and assignments for my very non-art related master's degree.

My sketchbook

DA

"This is a paint and pixel-splattered furnace that forges the swords of artistic mastery. This is a place where swarthy and belligerent dwarves drink turpentine mead, berate their apprentices and slap the trade into their skulls. It's where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares." --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Actually, this had to be moved from Sketchbooks. So, -2 points.
    Aww, Cranberries.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dreams, music, movies, art through the ages, photography etc etc - but I actively search for things that I know can inspire me and reject all other that I dont find inspiration in, but only after I have looked at it thouroughly. That way I can get every single drop of inspiration from something.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take a sleep when you feel bored, then try to dream a dream, maybe in your dream it could help .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The other day I played a video game for the first time in months. Was great to remind myself of one of the things that inspired me to pursue art to begin with, and the next day was one of my most productive art-wise in a while. I'm guessing most people here don't have a problem with playing too few games... so I guess this post probably won't help anyone but oh well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    make a folder with all your favorite pics and reference pics in it (for me its environments, everything revolves around environments(photos))

turn on a some music and get Xee, or irfanview. spacebar through the whole folder. go back and forth and back and forth this is so much fun.

welp at least for me

go on walks.

play a video game
    go out in nature. find some ridiculous people in walmart and study them closely. profit!

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,620 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
    The other day I played a video game for the first time in months. Was great to remind myself of one of the things that inspired me to pursue art to begin with, and the next day was one of my most productive art-wise in a while.
    Same here. Now that my computer is busted and I have no television (that would show channels I mean), I eventually was bored enough to pick up one of the comics I read long ago and suddenly I was reminded by everything I loved in the comics I bought and why they inspired me to draw and I was fired up.

Also, what works for me is to borrow some books about old clothes/fashion/medieval art/mythology and start reading and redrawing the things I see. Usually some funky garter-belt or tunic will get me interested on designing the same, or some old weapon that I really want to draw on my character or some really old cavepainting that I think would look awesome if drawn more realistically and so on.

Overall, being really bored also helps.

EDIT:Also this thread features many ways to work over lack of inspiration http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=219430

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.