I think I'm having a mid-20's crisis
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm having a mid-20's crisis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I think I'm having a mid-20's crisis

So, this November I'll be turning the big 26. My teens are behind me and before you know it I'll be 30... then I'll be dead in a coffin. Time is flying too fast for me. Christmas is rolling around the corner right after Summer (but not before Fall). Soon I'll be seeing another January. Then another. Then I'll be dead in a coffin.

Man this sucks.

Sketchbook: There and Back again Updated- 7/04/12
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Many people will never get the chance to live up to 26. Now this sucks. Bright, kind and talented people. Enjoy your life while you can. Have you noticed how many people died this year in wars and natural disasters? You have the chance to experience things they never will. Yes, life is short. There are so many things to do and so little time. But don't wait for tomorrow if you want to do something today. Now cheer up and have some fun

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh noes woe is me i am going to die what should i d-

Personally, I'm not afraid of death at all - once you've plumbed the Abyss and treaded the dark waters of depression, psychosis, and emotion, you sort of welcome death as a release from life. Now that I've recovered and am looking forward to life, I also oxymoronically look forward to death.

Sure, I'd love to see and experience more of life - such as see humanity reach the stars, see human civilization advance and progress, see new discoveries, breakthroughs, intelligent alien civilizations perhaps.

I sure as fuck don't want to live to 10,000 years old, with or without eternal youth to accompany you. I mean seriously, you'd probably either go insane, or become so cynical about human nature that it would probably fester and turn into a super massive black hole that'll swallow the whole Sol system or something.

In short: Life is short, yeah, but that doesn't mean that you should go all nihilistically emo and whine - grow a pair of balls and enjoy what time you have on this earth. As you only get one shot at life.

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Life is the longest thing you'll ever experience.

Though I surely wouldn't mind living a few thousand years. Obviously you'd have to make a few brain alterations to deal with the huge amount of memories you'll gather. But I don't think that'll be a problem in a few hundred years. And who says you'll go insane? That's just something people make up to feel better about not living forever... Though I guess you'll probably go insane sometime, just based on probability alone. But you'll have some hundred years to get over it.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewHD View Post
    So, this November I'll be turning the big 26. My teens are behind me and before you know it I'll be 30... then I'll be dead in a coffin. Time is flying too fast for me. Christmas is rolling around the corner right after Summer (but not before Fall). Soon I'll be seeing another January. Then another. Then I'll be dead in a coffin.

Man this sucks.
    Boo-fucking-hoo.
    When I hear young people whining about being old, I want to punch them in their smooth, supple, unlined faces.

Last edited by Elwell; May 31st, 2011 at 07:54 AM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

7. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, maybe if you punched yourself in the face enough you might make your skin smoother

or it'll fall off and make wrinkles everywhere...or become purple...or red...

Eitherway, you're going to be like that in a few years OSNAP please don't punch me I'm just an old man, at the age of 20.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The REAL problem of getting older is that it takes me about a year to start remembering my new age when someone asks me how old I am.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Alright this has gone too far. You are studying to be an artist for crying out loud. Most likely you have food to eat, a roof over your head, a bed to sleep in and people who care about you.

My point is you are lucky enough to be comfortable enough to be on the internet whining about turning 26; the amount of good luck that requires should make you fall on your knees and thank whatever deity you do or don't believe in for giving you another day that is a cake walk throough life.

All over the world people are suffering miserable conditions through an accident of birth or geography and will nver ever fullfill any of the potential they have inside them. There lives will be brief, violent and miserable.

So shut the fuck up and keep your whiny emo thoughts of age and all the other crap to yourself; realize everyday you wake up breathing with all your fiunctioning parts is a gift and get on with what you want to do because tomorrow it could change in a heartbeat and everything could be taken from you.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life is not over with 30! You only start there!
    You will probably continue to live 30+ years more.
    Be happy and enjoy it!

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,051 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

15. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewHD View Post
    Man this sucks.
    No, what sucks is hearing people who are younger than you freaking out about getting "old"... How old do you think that makes us older folk feel, eh?

Even worse is people turning 20 and wailing about "Oh noes I'm turning 20, I'm so ooooolllld, my life is ooooveeeeeerrrrr!!"

So what am I, dead?

Sheesh. Kids.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In 1965, when Jeanne Calment turned 90, she entered an agreement with a 47-year-old lawyer -- he would pay her 2,500 francs a month until she died, then he could have her apartment in Arles.

Idiot. Having lived to 90, her chances of living past 100 were increased many fold. As it turned out, she outlived him by two years, dying in 1997 at the really-very-heavily-documented age of 122.

Twenty six. Pff! I got bath towels older than that.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

21. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    In 1965, when Jeanne Calment turned 90, she entered an agreement with a 47-year-old lawyer -- he would pay her 2,500 francs a month until she died, then he could have her apartment in Arles.

Idiot. Having lived to 90, her chances of living past 100 were increased many fold. As it turned out, she outlived him by two years, dying in 1997 at the really-very-heavily-documented age of 122.

Twenty six. Pff! I got bath towels older than that.
    yeah, but Matthews chances of even making it past today are slim with all the people in this thread looking for him -)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, that ruler thing -- my grandmother did that to me when I was twelve. I was 12, she was 72 and she got out the ruler to show me what that looked like in inches. By way of demonstrating that she was right about something and I was wrong.

Looking back, she was TOTALLY wrong. Sorry, Grandma.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's the exact age that I decided to stop fucking around and take art seriously. Get busy producing and you won't getting old won't suck so bad. You'll have accomplishments to look back on and as long as you have your site and motor control, more accomplishments. Unlike sports as an artist you generally get better the older you become.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You tell us this, why?

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Matthew, in this hand is YOU---now open your mouth real wide.

In this other hand is your future, and all the things that you can do with it.

All I need to know is whether you want to nibble on it, chewing each piece 32 times like a good boy...

OR...

would you rather I rammed the entire mess down your throat all at one time, like kids do with Halloween candy?

It's your choice. Do the last one and it will fuckin' hurt like hell, and your poor mom will have to buy you a coffin before you're 27.

Do the first, and you can go happy being a dirty old man watching young wimmenz jogging in transparent halter tops from your window with binoculars while they giggle and wave back at you, pissing off your bratty relatives who have been waiting for you to croak so they can get their lazy-ass paws on your 106-year collection of erotic art and self-made fortune hidden under your mattress.

Your decision. Now go away--the wimmenz college across the street starts PE in two minutes...asswipe...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *smiles in that slightly superior, smug way* Oh just wait until you have kids. They'll age you much much quicker than you could ever do on your own. Seriously, you're 25, you've not even qualified in years for a mid-life crisis yet.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to LibertineM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cant wait to get old enough where i can eat for free at dennys ^_^!!!

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robert.B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    How old do you think that makes us older folk feel, eh?
    Well personally it makes me feel rather awesome. I'm like "Hello audience. Look at this guy. Now look back at me. Now have a drink with me at the pub because I won't spend the entire evening talking about how death is imminent now that I'm not 25."

I plan to spend a long and productive old age living like one of Terry Pratchett's witches and if I get hit by a truck in the meantime, well, at least I won't have to worry about getting all these stupid projects done.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewHD
    Time is flying too fast for me.
    Stop watching TV. Get off the Internet. Take your painting outside and see what there is to see. If time is flying too fast then don't spend additional time killing it. Practice a little wu wei, y'know?

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stop whining. You've got another sixty or seventy years ahead of you if you take good care of yourself.
    And hey, guess what? It's all downhill from here. Well, maybe not here (assuming you're in decent shape and don't have any serious illness)... but in about ten or fifteen years, you'll start actually getting old. Enjoy your able body while you've got it. After your body's gone to pot, enjoy your able mind. And after that's gone, you won't care either way because you'll have either gone senile or you will have died.
    Happy birthday!

eat-drink-fuck-draw-sleep. repeat.
    Every critique helps me improve! Have a look at my sketchbook, it won't take long.

It is well with me only when I have a chisel in my hand.
    -Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'd normally bring up that I'm 29 and make a Logan's Run joke at this point, but I'll admit for the past week the concept of encroaching old age has been weighing on me. Not my old age mind you, but my in-law's, who aren't doing so well at the moment and at 67 I consider them fairly young.

I know for some people turning 30 is a big deal but look at the bright side: now you can blame the world's problems on teenagers and 20-somethings!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone feels like this at some point in their lives. Its totally ok.

I turned 30 almost a year ago, before that ive faced being a single mom, a divorce, finally finishing highschool at 29 and now im looking forward to working towards my art career.

As I face my 31st birthday this july, I find myself not feeling old but rather amused by how much my age doesnt affect me negativly.

I still get carded. I still go out and party, Ive got 10 years of drawing experience more than most people in my fine arts class. I have a great boyfriend and I generally have fun.

As cliche as it sounds, if your worried about death too much, you forget about living.

so chin up cutie. smiling is contagious, go infect someone.

-Dm

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkmoon For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    No, what sucks is hearing people who are younger than you freaking out about getting "old"... How old do you think that makes us older folk feel, eh?

Even worse is people turning 20 and wailing about "Oh noes I'm turning 20, I'm so ooooolllld, my life is ooooveeeeeerrrrr!!"

So what am I, dead?

Sheesh. Kids.
    Can I have you kidney?

Youse old, you don' need it. (of course I turn 37 this June which is...HOLLY MOSES THIS MONTH?!)

Gee. lol Don't really care.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're not old. Well, you are older than me, but not by much. I'm sure everyone has these feelings at some point, that we're growing up and we wish we hadn't wasted the time when we were younger, but what can you do about that? Nothing, except live your life now.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to minamongoose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry but seriously.

But the core of your problem is: what is it that makes you feel old?

Come back when you're 50 and that arthritis starts to kick in.

My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Our dog is 8, our cat is 9, I think. They don't show much physical signs of old age, except for some white hairs on the dog's chin, but I'm always bummed out when I realize they'll probably start to deteriorate and be gone somewhere in the next 5 years.

My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not quite right.

Attached Images Attached Images  

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

47. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.