Follows
    Following

P.O.W.! Postponed - Sleight of Hand

Name:  CA-POWexLOGO.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  155.3 KB

P.O.W.! for another time, perhaps.
    Topic: Sleight of Hand

I always love when something innocuous happens in one panel in of a comic that proves to have a plot reason for its existence later! If you happen to have seen the recent release "Who is Jake Ellis?" they do a nice example of this over the course of the first couple of pages, where the hero picks a guys pocket during an action scene. It happens, it's drawn right there on the page, but until they point it out later, the average reader will totally have missed it happening (I know I did).

That's what I'm looking for with "Sleight of Hand", but if some other idea comes to you or appeals to you more with this topic, go for it! As always, there is no dictatorship in POW!

You can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color. We're also going to stick with the three-week-ish Challenge period that Ilaekae has established for the last while because it seems to be giving people a bit more time to play.

You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO to a TENTATIVE maximum of SIX pages which adhere to standard comic specs as below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want. You can go to additional pages without asking if you have a decent idea that requires it--just don't get too extreme on page counts.

REMEMBER: You don't have to have a complete comic to qualify for polling--if you're idea requires six pages or so, go for it, but if you realize you're running out of time, try to get at least TWO finished by the deadline. That's all you need to qualify.

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

This thread will be the place you ask questions on this challenge, trash talk, post WIPs and post your final art. See the READ THIS FIRST thread for all specs.

Get going & see what you can create! Poll should be up & active for POW 50 - Anniversary tomorrow evening. Also, I'm thinking I need someone who is good at pixel art, if anyone with that skill set wants to PM me.

Last edited by donalfall; June 22nd, 2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Superceded
    P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really cool and somewhat puzzling concept Hope I'll have the time to be in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm hip deep in making my entry for this, but the power supply for our photoshop-capable computer blew out. I'll be posting stuff once it's back up and running.

My "Sleight of Hand" piece is all based around a card game. Appropriate?

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm hip deep in making my entry for this, but the power supply for our photoshop-capable computer blew out. I'll be posting stuff once it's back up and running.

My "Sleight of Hand" piece is all based around a card game. Appropriate?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This challenge will be left to stand as is, because it's a damn good idea, and because d' outdid himself.

I'm moving my changes and the new 3-4 simultaneous Challenges to Sunday night, June 19. And I'm in this one...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I'm glad too, because I think I've got a good piece cooking for Sleight of Hand. 4 simultaneous challenges? I am intrigued/scared/hungry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been reluctant to turn on my damn scanner this week cos it's such a pain to use, but I've gotten almost all my pages done here. Just refreshing this thread to remind y'all that the deadline is 7 days or so away. I'll scan mine over the next couple of days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread is officially closed. Go look at POW! Volume 2 - Challenge 52 A - B - C - D - E and join in to make Ilaekae happy. I say this is closed, but I haven't even scanned in mine cos of the old day job, and I'm working tomorrow as well, so if you happen to have an entry you want to slip in, I'll really only be doing the poll on Wednesday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dang, I have mine here but I am uncomfortable with winning a challenge by default when I'm the one putting up the poll. I think I'll call this one to a close with no winner & do a little creative renumbering instead....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    D', please post your efforts. At your request, we won't declare a default winner. It's a bit more important to see the results to see what could be done with an idea than to actually "win" or "lose," I think. Of course, it's your decision.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will post the pages when I get back to Galway then. I wandered off to Cork to see how their Drink & Draw was going, as run by Boudicca from these forums - aka Eva. Let me tell you, it's going pretty good.

I'll be back at home over the weekend, pages then.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.