Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

jhowell's journey to success

My name is Justin Howell. I have just recently graduated from a state college with a degree in art, mostly focusing on graphic design. My passion is in illustration however, but that was not offered at my local university so I had to spread my education between design and in general drawing and painting classes.

I have a great desire to do what it takes to achieve my goals and to one day work in the field that I enjoy so much. I know that I have a lot to learn and have already taken steps toward helping me in this goal. I have already purchased several videos from ConceptArt as well as taken some streaming classes when I caught them on sale. Still, I find that I lack the constructive criticism needed to propel me forward in my journey and that is exactly what brings me to finally posting.

My idea is to post a lot and as often as I can so that I can learn correctly and effectively. Thank you in advance for any comments, criticism, or helpful knowledge that you might share- I am truly grateful.

----------
    The first image below is an assignment that I had for class. I used photoshop to create this piece and it is based on several reference pieces.

The second image is also an assignment and it is created with oils and based on several reference pieces.

Also included are some of my sketchbook pages that I've currently been working on.

I am having a hard time working out anatomy and it doesn't help at all that my school only has figure drawing for roughly two weeks a semester. I've been trying to use books such as George Bridgman but often find that I'm just merely coping what he has laid out. Does any one have any advice on how I could practice in this subject area?

New work like the piece below found later in the sketchbook:

Name:  2199_image_129131.jpeg
Views: 240
Size:  103.2 KB
    Last edited by jhowell; October 28th, 2012 at 10:31 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think some of those hand studies are looking fantastic! The important thing to remember about books by Bridgman or Loomis is that you have to understand why they draw in certain ways. Simply copying the pictures won't do you much good, study the examples by reconstructing the drawings.

Great start, get it rolling!

Thanks
    @OfficialLamp - Thanks for the comment and the advice!

-----------
    Here are a couple of days worth of sketches. I have been working on various things relating to the human body.

I really need to get a scanner soon so that I can get these cleaner and nicer.

Thanks
    Various studies that I have been working on.
    The last one is a self portrait. I've finally gotten a mirror set up and been working that way for a bit.

Thanks
    More sketches. Some from photos and some from life.

Thanks
    I set up a simple still life to practice digital painting with today.

Thanks
    A few sketchbook pages.
    Also a quick digital painting study based on my moving boxes. (I move to a new apartment Friday )

Thanks
    You need work on the human figure so keep on scetchin' and don't stop.Also search for Bames anatomy its really helpful.

Thanks
    @Random_Hobo - thanks for the advice!

----
    More studies.

Thanks
    Hey Justin! Nice sketchbook!

Keep doing those studies, you are rocking them. I'd suggest you try to be more confident in your lines, more loose - right now your lines are made of several smaller lines. Check this video by Matt Kohr, it might help you. If drawing with a pencil, try using a larger paper so you can draw with your shoulder and elbow!

Also, try Loomis books on anatomy, specially the ones on head drawing. The construction lines Loomis use may help you with your heads (:

Cya, man!

Thanks
    Your studies are looking great! It is definitely good to study the structure and shapes when drawing figures. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    @cl0aked: thanks for the great advice! I really appreciate it.
    @minamongoose: thanks!

I haven't been able to post in my thread for a little bit now because I have moved to a new place and it apparently takes years to get the internet service switched over in this town. Anyways, I have been working on various studies and am still trying to learn human anatomy. I think soon I'm going to try to set up models for life drawing sessions.

Thanks
    nice studies! try to keep them clean and concise, and as accurate as possible. It's always good to have some variety, do some slow studies that are more detailed along with the quicker gestures. It's good to be able to get the form down quick and with energy, but getting all the anatomy correct is also important. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Hello jhowell,
    Great figure studies! One thing I would practice on is being "looser" with your sketching. Don't be afraid to draw big sweeping lines and curves, your blocky take is a fine way to begin with but you need a little more dynamism to them. : )
    Keep up the excellent work!

Thanks
    You're off to a good start. As others have said, try to develop a bit more confidence in your lines; generally you should be aiming to draw a single, confident line rather than a mass of tiny uncertain ones.

I would suggest starting your drawing every day by drawing a few pages of circles, straight lines and basic shapes to train you to do this. If you have a tablet, it's probably better to do this digitally rather than waste paper, but it's a valuable exercise either way. Remember to draw with your arm, not your wrist, and practice drawing in both directions (both clockwise and anti-clockwise circles etc.)

The hardest part is really just drawing a lot. You seem to have that down, keep it up and you'll get there.
    Please visit

It gets lonely.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast