Colossus of Life WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Colossus of Life WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Colossus of Life WIP

Hi all. On Deviant Art, Rift is holding a competition to see who can create the "best" character with the only description to adhere being the word "Colossus".
    Out of the six planer themes (earth, fire, water, air, death and life), I have decided to go with life and after working out the character a bit I began a few roughs for the finished piece.
    Here is what I have done so far.

Although not clearly illustrated in the sketches, I plan for the "mantis" and "normal" arms to be connected higher up the humerus. (Similar to General Grievous.) I also plan to alter the normal hands to give them a little more of a clunky rock quality, (like Helboy's right hand of doom).
    At the moment I am not so keen on the lower "mantis" arms.

P.S. Please forgive the very awful hands

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, I can't really see enough to say much, just that it reminded me a bit of World of Warcraft moonkins, so I thought I'd link you a picture so that you can avoid getting too close to those. (Though it would be hilarious- as Rift is considered to be Wow's failed rival).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Updates...

Ha ha, I'll keep that in mind LordLouis.

Here are some thumbnails for the finished piece. I think I might go with the bottom one but I'm open to any suggestions or advise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last one has the best visual, but that's probably because I can tell what's going on. The others are too dark and fuzzy to see much. Why put sketches on a dark grey background?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice silhouette going in the last image. Glowing rib cage does not convey "Life" colossus.

My portfolio

Would you like to see my drawr-rings?

Will design for food, provided that we all agree that money is edible.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 398 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that the third is the most clear, but at the same time I think it has the least potential. The first is the most ominous and the second has the most depth. Clarity is a serious issue here though. You can't make a picture that's all black except for vague glowing circles and bits of rim lighting.

I think before you move on the the finished picture you need to develop your character more since that is the point of this. Do more line concept drawings—On A White Background! The head you have started on the bottom of your first page of sketches I like. It looks like some sort of fish-mantis hybrid with some antler/horn things. But nothing has been established at this stage. I have no idea what you're saying about 'mantis' and 'normal' arms because your sketches are so unclear. If that is a rib cage it is very two-dimensional and cheesy looking. The glowing bits seem to fit with the theme, but are too round to look natural and I'm not sure if the small ones are something free-floating or attached to its body somehow. Your idea has definite potential, but take it a little slower and work more on the beginning stages and it will turn out much better.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Corlan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some revising...

I have gone back and added some rough colour to the original sketch. I still need to do alot of defining which I am finding difficult. I'm still settling in to Photoshop's layers and colour layouts.

I take all your points about the fuzziness. Unfortunately, after working on it for a set amount of time, my mind fills in all the blanks, making it difficult for anyone else to "read" my image. I am feeling there are some prickly design flaws but can't quite put my finger on them.

I tend to work on a grey background because I find the white one burns a hole in my retinas. Gosh you guys! This next image has a white background. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW!! ARE YOU?!?!!

Thank you for all your replies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another colossus entry ^^ Good to see.

To make it easier for yourself, draw a small human next to him.
    Just to remember the size.

I would think of a couple of elements you want to, which fit to your creature.

And ask yourself questions, what are the light balls supposed to be? How does he attack? Will adds spawn during the fight ? This can bring up some good ideas. What do you want him to be like ? Feels like a sourcerer or a druid type right now.

Just a personal idea: If he already floats, why not detaching the arms from his body ? Just connected by some ivy ... would make him look lighter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm working on the same thing.LOL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

COLOUR!

I have decided on using the middle thumbnail. I thought it had the most intrigue and depth in comparison to all the others and although I liked the last one, after reading Mr Corlans post, I felt he was confirming an issue that was bugging me about it from the start.

Anywhoooo... after lightening the sky up a bit to give it a less sinister feel, I have gone in and slapped some colours over the black and white image. I have also altered the head, which sadly is lacking the impact it had in the original.

Next I will be adding more definition to the various forms...

P.S. Vaejoun- Thanks for the tips! You are right, I had planed for this character to have more druid powers. I originally envisioned him/her to use the "mighty staff" in most the attacks/powers.
    Oh, and no I will not be giving my colossus any breasts, GOSH!!

P.P.S. Please refer to Vaejoun's colossus entry if you are confused by the previous statement.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.