Art: Sean Lane's Portfolio
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sean Lane's Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sean Lane's Portfolio

I'm Sean Lane. I am trying to find a place to work in Austin, Texas at some of the smaller video game companies after moving from Houston at an Edutainment firm in Houston called Archimage. No luck at all really.

My main priority has always been elaborate sketches and character design and art, all with a cartoon flair, but I'm trying to branch out more these days to art I'm not really comfortable at all. Really I know I need to get better at painting and I'm going to keep working at it, but I'm always suffering from how I'm imagining things never coming out the way I want in practice.

I also don't really know if I'm needed for video games. Ideally, I'd like to apply 2D animation to games even though I can do some 3D, but it seems no one is really looking for that right now.

I would also switch careers in a heartbeat to illustrating books, kids and adults, but I wouldn't even know where to start.

Thanks in advance for any input, good or bad.

www.mrseanlane.com

Image date: 2008/2011

Image dates: 2011

Image dates 2010:

Image dates: 2009

Image dates: 2008

Image dates: 2007

Last edited by mrseanlane; June 1st, 2011 at 02:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You definitely have good instincts for character design. I wouldn't know much about where you fit into the industry as I haven't really got much experience in that, but I will say you are right. You have great ability to draw, focus on painting to take it to the next level.

I would work on fleshing out planes with a hard round brush set to pressure sensitivity if you are working digitally. Build up your color like you would a painting in real life. Focus on making your colors cohesive. Don't just paint a bush green because you think it should be green, pay attention to how all the other elements react to that bush. Look at the color of the sky. Perhaps it's casting a golden glow. Everything in the picture will have a golden hue as well. Study the concept art of some of your favorite artists to see how they use color. It might even help to use the dropper in Photoshop on a painting you like so you can actually see where the color falls in the color wheel. You might be surprised that the orange you though you were looking at is actually just a warmer gray because relative color can fool the eye. When you are painting though, use a bit more saturated color to get the same effect because as colors mix they loose their vibrancy. It helps to work from a palate to pick your colors, don't just pick from what you just did or it will keep getting more and more gray.

Study the effects of light. It will help your renders.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lithriel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for the reply, Lithriel. Everything you said in the second paragraph was completely helpful and consisted of many things I did not do already. Changing my train of thought and taking on these new ways to create should really help my digital painting improve.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you familiar with flash? It would be a very nice software to learn if you want to get into a 2D game company. It'd also allow you to produce cleaner art until you've mastered painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your stuff! I could definitely see your style working well in book illustration, although sadly I don't know anything about getting work in that area, sorry! Good luck with it tho, I think you have a nice personal style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some good Line work.
    and the paintings that don't lean on line work are good too.
    but the images that are leaning on the line work are not doing as well.
    I recommend starting out with more flat colour or smooth transitions in your colour blocking of line-work images. Then come back and push shadows.

and keep up the stuff that doesn't have lines, as it is starting to work very well for you. except the owl.

Members who have read this thread: 1