Let's try this...again.... ...shit..
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Let's try this...again.... ...shit..

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Let's try this...again.... ...shit..

I have been offline for gawd knows how long this time, so it will take me a couple days to catch up on all the messages.

Four hours after my last post in April, I lost my computer. Zip. Nada. No way to replace it. Local guy discovered when I messed up the comp the first time, we missed something on the repairs. Something not real important. Like I apparently dropped a tool on the motherboard when I was doing the initial repairs...gouged the fucker right across the middle.

I have a MOTOROLA G5 Mag quad, not the Intel version. And no money. Bundled up comp, called friend near Philly and asked him to look for exact replacement board that wouldn't cost me arm and leg. Found one after three weeks of looking and agreed to trade some stuff I had for the motherboard.

While this was going on, I had to run across the state by bus to attend four funerals for family members, the last this past week--my little brother's wife died at 60 from brain cancer. I'm not in need of condolences here--we accept things like this as normal at my age. Life moves on.

My computer came home three days ago and I've been running tests and had it checked locally to make sure, so I...am...up...and...running...FINALLY.

While I was offline, I started to re-jigger POW! to make it more useful and maybe more attractive to others that haven't been teased to trying it out yet. Basically, starting June 5, POW will be back in operation and there will be three separate Challenges running at one time--you can do any one-two-all of them you want if you wish. (1) will be a comic decided by me, (2) will be a comic/project suggested by anyone here, and (3) will be a smaller project for things that relate to comics, like covers, splash pages, character designs and shit like that, or other types of comic formats. Starting June 5 will allow me to catch up with the poll posts and such, and I have to input all my handwritten notes so I can get a clear look at what i was thinking offline, as well as getting some help organized so these "time-outs" don't happen again. I'll probably ask three or four people to act as backup mods for me, and I'll get a list of stuff together they can chose from just in case I get hit by a truck or something.

NOW...

The rest of you...use this thread to post suggestions for something you'd like to see as a challenge for (2) above--especially if we haven't done YOUR favorite subject before. List it anyway you want--simple scenario, type of genre, type of character or situation, etc. Childish, romantic, historical, bizarre, bloody, whatever floats your boat. I'd like to have enough ideas to start getting a usable list together before the 5th. I'll handle the rest.

It's nice to be back...and why does it stink like rotting snake balls here? Did we get a cafeteria or sumthin'?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A POW on native people's legends would be cool, kind of like the Inuit illustration project that was going on awhile ago.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pierce9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always found POW to be just a little intimidating for me. I like the idea of splitting it into three (I can get my feet wet with the smaller challenges first). I'll have to keep track of this.

As for suggestions I really don't know what's been done. How about the main character is a ghost, posing as a living person?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OfficialLamp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's nice to be back...and why does it stink like rotting snake balls here? Did we get a cafeteria or sumthin'?
    TIS THE SWEATIE BALLS OF THE ZOMBIE SNAKE NECROPHILIA GOD

i suggest erotica

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it would be cool to take a popular story premise and reimagine it as a period piece-- like, how would Dr. Frankenstein have created his monster in the 1600's? Or, what would Pandora have done with the box in WWII Germany? There's a lot of possibilities and I think it could be really fun, but I think it's just important to stay under the umbrella of "period piece" and not go to modern times or the future. Just an idea!

Also, for a shorter POW challenge, it might be fun to do shorts on "the real lives of super heros" however we imagine them. It might not be very original, but I think it could be fun.

Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sanya For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    How about a story set at an art college, using yourself as a character or just illustrating a story that happened to you when you were younger...or the first day of a new job, that feeling of anticipation followed by the slap of reality.

Or one story I've been thinking is of what would constitute a utopian future? Obviously finding a miracle renewable non-polluting energy source is one, how do you picture our future after this miracle?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just happy to see Mr. Kitty again

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How about "a sentimental moment"? Or maybe that's too vague...hmm.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuroyue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I'm just happy to see Mr. Kitty again
    Seconded. On the choice of themes, I've suggested this one for CHOW, but it got ignored, so hey. Even if we use it here, they could still use it for the character design.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    Post Apocalyptic Art Teacher

Maybe they use new tools for art? Maybe they are like traveling salesmen on mutant steeds, who travel the wasteland, trading lessons for items of artistic interest? Maybe they run life drawing classes with a chained down zombie as the model.

It's up to you.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's what happens when you live in the sticks!

...part deux.

Last edited by OmenSpirits; May 27th, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, that's not a bad idea. Considering parts 1 and 2, "Living in the boonies Part 3" could be a real ball breaker...I see the possibility of a major asteroid strike.

Actually every single suggestion so far has been great as is, and most have given me at least ten other directions to go on top of it...except for that sweaty snake ball thing...

OficialLamp, I'm going to make a special effort to keep something simpler in all the Challenges, especially since it will also serve to introduce newer people to the basics...something we all need more of probably...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ironically just starting getting into drawing comics for fun. Would be fun to maybe try some of them, but don't know if I could handle doing my own and then another for a challenge haha.

I might try it though could always use more practice drawing.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it would be interesting to do challenges based not just on different plot themes, but on the technical side of comic as well. For example: a story with only identical square panels, a 'silent' comic, something more experimental suggested by a Scott McCloud book or something Alan Moore has surely already done better but that is too cool not to try our hands at it.

P.S. Welcome back!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Ariel9 For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.