C.O.W. #214 ,the 4 apocalyptic mounts. WIPs Thread. - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. #214 ,the 4 apocalyptic mounts. WIPs Thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward B View Post
    I thought a tick would be a cool ride for one of the horsemen and added some speed to it, sketchysketch

Attachment 1241191
    I like the look and concept... more legs though?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Art-kritik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KleeWyck View Post
    First idea for death... still too similar to a horse though so I'll be changing it some more.

EDIT: I tried going for a more elephant-build. But it's still looking like a horse. I didn't realize it would be so hard to make something look like an apocalyptic mount... and not look like a horse. I also tried a centaur-sort-of creature but I don't know anymore.
    The most recent one you've posted looks almost like a headless elephant-type beast with half a humanoid corpse grafted up front. Are you going for the "construct" look?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry dudes I forgot to put that in the brief. So let me clear it up...

you will be allowed this round to include a saddle, or light amount of accessories. Just don't get crazy and include full body armor to the point where we can't see the creature.

I'll change the first post later.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe I've settled on doing conquest. I added in the feet, as they were cut off in my original sketch - now I wonder if the front paws look too large. I wanted them to be a bit larger than life, but do they look too out of proportion?

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Camel For This Useful Post:

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @pluttes: I'm really liking that head design, I also thought of a vulture for death, I used a more 'dead' approach by using a vulture's skull.

@Jaa: I like he slug idea, however as a steed to ride it would be a little..slow maybe, just a thought I had, it's a good idea but Ibeliee that flaw makes it a bit of an edgy concept, unless you have some kind of solution to th slow movement.

@KleeWyck: I believe there is a creature very similar your idea, forgot what it was called though, it has the top half of a person merged with a horse and they have no skin. IMO I'd stick with the tusks from th first one so the front end doesn't look too empty, as for making it look less like a horse, look for some references of elephants/whatever, and maybe add some musculature so it doesn't look so skinny

@camel: I really like those sketches,they have that 'sketchy' look, (duh), but yet still very deliberate, I'm eaer to see you fully render the conquest creature.

@Migsta: Already looking very awsome. A little hard to tell which one you chose, most likely conquet or war, but once the colour is added it ill be more clear of course

@Blankstate: Death Ray, lol

@lkjhgfdsa: A neat design, but I'd try to make it look a bit less like a horse.

@black_blood: refer to what I said for lkjhgfdsa above^^^

@liquid_monument: first off, fix the eyes, almost no animal has both eyes on the side of their head (cept for Halibut), another thing, I'm a bit confused to what that is connecting it's chin to it's shoulder.

@Edward B: Realy like your style dude, its looking really nice however I believe the legs positioning is a little off balance, because the pose the creature is in looks as if it will fall backwards, as Art-kritik said just add a couple more legs to solve that problem and bring the center of gravity a little closer to the center of the creature.

I think I got everyone...

I've been kind of struggling with finding theright creature design, but these are the best I've come up with, they still need to be pusheda litle furhr interms of design, but they are just rough thumbs...I'm leaning towards the Famine creature, I like it's big grin
    Name:  4 horses copy.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  251.1 KB

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

War Mount

Hi,

Here's a sketch of the war mount design I am going for.Any ideas on improvement?I am currently having trouble with what to put on the back of the head and the size of the ears.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by metal_militant; May 28th, 2011 at 12:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Initial sketch for famine. I apologize for the horrible picture... Only had my cell phone available at the moment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by metal_militant View Post
    Hi,

Here's a sketch of the war mount design I am going for.Any ideas on improvement?I am currently having trouble with what to put on the back of the head and the size of the ears.
    My vote would be for streamlined ear-holes, no external ears... and how about a frill like on one of the ceratopsidae for the back of the head?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    less horse more scythe...

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lkjhgfdsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Art-kritik View Post
    My vote would be for streamlined ear-holes, no external ears... and how about a frill like on one of the ceratopsidae for the back of the head?
    Hmmm,I tried putting a Styracosaurus-like frill but it looked like Queen Victoria.I trashed that idea.As for the ears,I decided to continue with external ears and it kind of gives the head definition.Thanks a lot for your suggestions but I ended up making all of this before I revisited this thread.Here's what I have.Tell me what you think:

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @lkjhgfdsa: I'm really liking the direction yours is going, the hourglasses are a nice touch.

Did some linework, the saddle and harness straps seems a bit wonky to me, will have to try to fix that further down the line.
    Any comments and sugestons are welome!
    Name:  famine copy.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  113.6 KB

Last edited by Rob Powell; May 28th, 2011 at 12:32 PM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here's the posed version:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So excited to participate in my first COW! Here's what I'm planning on doing. I chose Conquest. I wanted a chimera-like creature, somewhat like a hippogriff but still different. I envisioned Conquest to be the most majestic of the horsemen's steeds so I kept that in mind in my concept. This is basically an ibis and a horse, with two pairs of bird legs and two pairs of wings. Gonna start cleaning it up and coloring soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!

Long time no see. Now that we have all the school work out of the way (for a week at least :E) I can participate in COW again. Here's what I am going for. It doesn't physically walk or move as much as it floats around and/or exists in whatever ethereal plane.

The colors are a bit off for my taste but I like where the head is going.

EDIT. It's Death's steed (in case it was unclear ).

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arbinn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Am working on famine, just about ready to paint!

I'm going to stop there for now and come back to it later, mostly to clean it up a bit and work with the glazing. Would love some constructive critique!

Last edited by maeganite; May 28th, 2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: added a step

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maeganite For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been working on the body today - trying to get the wooly texture right.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Camel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, here's my progress so far, any comments would be appreciated :-)

(It represents Famine)

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was having a tough time getting a body I liked but I think this is ok start. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Famine

hi dudes, this is my first post on ConceptArt.org and I am happy to be part of community now. All comments welcome.
    Description
    I made Famine. This is a very strong and constantly hungry entity. This entity uses the dead horses bodies for implementation. These bodies are burned out very quickly by constant hunger and thirst and have to be changed. This being burned inside.

KleeWyck is offline Professional Procrastinator Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still not too sure which direction I want to take this. I'm debating whether or not to add organs spilling out of his rib cage or not.

Last edited by KleeWyck; May 29th, 2011 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kleewyck: The guts spilling out is a bit too over the top. I personally like the look of just the ribs.
    McGhoul: I like the look of the head. The forepaws look a bit large compared to the head.
    lkjhgfdsa: I dig this design. Quite horse-like still, but I think it works.
    Camel: Awesome! I really enjoy the look of this. I didn't think of the paws as too large until I read your mention of it. The creature's left paw may seem a bit bigger to me than the right? Or perhaps that's shading too.
    RXMT: You definitely have a freaky vibe going on and I like the head of the creature. I think its eating its guts is a bit too gory for what's necessary though. However, that's justs my opinion.
    evgeniyo: Looks like an interesting concept to start with, but it's a little too horse-like as the idea is to create something instead of a horse. Perhaps try to modify it a little more?
    Arbinn: Welcome back! It seems like you're making an awesome comeback to start with. The colors are great and the rendering is great. I'd crit, but I'd like to see more of its form rendered first. It's a great start!

I'm pretty stuck on this round, but the stuff you guys are coming up with is impressive! I guess I'll keep trying, but work and a mind block aren't helpful! XD

Last edited by RedPen; May 29th, 2011 at 11:09 PM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedPen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I re-did the body and pose, I thought the original was more sneaky looking and not ....conquesty enough. Blocked in some colors, if I can get my shadows and rendering decent it might look alright.

Jaa: The slug is an interesting approach, can't wait to see more.

Pluttes: I'm digging the head so far.

Camel: Liking it! Paws seem ok to me, seems a bit busy but that may change as you get closer to completion.

KleeWyck: I like the different appraoch you are using, looking forward to see what route you take.

Blankslate: lol

black blood: welcome dude, Like the approach so far but seems a bit too close to a horse.

Migsta: Wow you work fast! Pretty cool so far.

lkjhgfdsa: Crazy detail! Glad you keep pushing the features away from a horses. Death looks pretty bad ass sitting there.

liquid.monument: Still too early to tell on this one. Waiting for an update.

Edward B: Interesting idea, good values so far.

Rob Powell: I'm glad you chose your Famine design. The idea of it being a big mouth is kinda ironic. Like to see where you go with it, seems very simple but color may change that.

Metal Militant: I was going to suggest rabbit ears!

Maeganite: Very..Warcraftish undead (if you get what i mean, not a bad thing) What did you use to color it?

Whitey594: Nice start so far but depending on scale seems like it may be tought to ride.

Arbinn: Great to have you back, I have always been a fan. Like whats happening so far with the colors, like a fresh corpse.

RXMT: Hard to say so far with mostly just a silhouette but the face is definately creepy. I'm not sure about the guts just yet.

evgeniyo: Love the look of the fire and the idea but definately looks too much like a horse.

Last edited by McGhoul; May 30th, 2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: forgot pic

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McGhoul For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits, guys! I've fiddled around with the paws a bit, and I'm happy with them for now - worked mostly on the mane today....this wool is gonna kill me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lookin good guys!

haven't done any cows in a while. decided to give this one a shot.

here's the start.

its gonna be death.

Name:  apocalyptic mount4.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  34.3 KB

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

KleeWyck is offline Professional Procrastinator Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I got done today. Just testing out some base colouring... I was trying to get the pale green look but it's looking kind of blue on a different monitor... so not too sure where to push it colour-wise... and the hands still need some work.

EDIT: Added a new update.

Last edited by KleeWyck; May 30th, 2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Update

37. The Following User Says Thank You to KleeWyck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to keep this one....WAR!

Last edited by Migsta; May 30th, 2011 at 07:50 AM.
    - My Artwork! -
    www.miguellleras.com

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Migsta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy folks. Long time Lurker. First COW.
    Unfortunately missed the no accessories line. But will post current pic anyway just for the feedback. I expect i'll be disqualified for final posting.

The idea I had was that the mount of conquest should represent subjugation. so the saddle is designed for a relaxed, reclining passenger. The battle is over when Conquest arrives.
    Furthermore Conquest's beast is covered with the adornments, and weight of prior victories. I wanted something with a downtrodden sad feel rather then the violent or sinister beast. I kind of see the coverings as being key to the concept as Conquest overwrites and buries prior cultures and people. So doing a naked beast doesn't really work particularly given its a mythological concept no a wildlife or alien creature.
    This was done using Alchemy and MyPaint with some cropping in Gimp. Yet to start on colouration.
    Loving some of the postings people are making. Be great to see the finals.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

So far...

Here's what I have got done so far...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by (lark View Post
    lookin good guys!

haven't done any cows in a while. decided to give this one a shot.

here's the start.

its gonna be death.
    wow, really like it.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to evgeniyo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres my take!
    Looking good everyone! Arbinn Welcome back

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.