Rift: Colossus contest
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Rift: Colossus contest

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Rift: Colossus contest

This is for the "Rift: Colossus-Contest" over at dA. The goal is to design a colossal "boss" for any plane of the game of your choosing.

There are six "planes" in the game, which are Earth, Fire, Water, Air, Life and Death. I chose for Life, because it seemed like the least typical and most interesting to me. Having done a little research, I noticed that most of Rift's creatures are evil looking, regardless of the plane they live on or the element they represent, so I tried to incorporate that in my design.

I'm quite indecisive about it's overall body shape. I imagine it to be covered in either plated/bone armor and vegetation of a vine-like sort. In this particular thumbnail I went for a deer-like body, I'm not sure if it suits the more insectoid top half though. Any suggestions at this point would be very welcome, please let me know what you think works or doesn't work!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lhune; June 2nd, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice - but seems a bit top-heavy - looks nicely balanced right now but imagine it lunging forward (seems like its reared back and almost has a snak-strike attack) and reaching out with a blade thing...uh-oh! Tip forward! But that's a simple scale them separately to see what balances thing. I do question the "evil-ness" of it, if it is supposed to be related to Life element? And the tail is a bit "my little pony-creature". Cool as usual though! Looking forward to that Lhune magic!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice concept, its good to see im not the only one making use of the crits section for the rift contest!

As far as improvements go, i agree that it looks a bit top heavy, maybe make the legs that bit thicker/stronger.

Keep posting though, i'll be interested to see where this goes!

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, my first problem is that it looks quite a lot like a Warhammer Tyranid Trygon and that it probably will be inevitably compared to that:
    Name:  64905_md-Figurepainters.com, Menelker, Tyranids, Tyson Koch, Warhammer 40,000.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  24.9 KB
    So I would either remove the claw things or amp them to eleven.
    Also the vines/plants thing does seem... bit generic, and more of a "earth" themed than "life" themed to me. Like it's the first generic thing you think when you think "life", plants growing and so on, so it might be interesting if you took it to a more metaphysical level somehow. Like have the plants be made out of light or something.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i also thought its a zerg horse. but you are only in thumb stage so you have a lot of wiggle room. you are clearly going for the chiron thing maybe play that up by making the top part more human ?

-------

Blog

Sketch Book

New website coming soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jeff: Thanks and you're completely right! I cared more about the looks of the thing rather than how it would be moving about (which is quite amazing considering my usual urge to make everything functional/believable), I'm glad you pointed it out. I'll work on it's design in in that regard .

Joe: Thank you, and indeed! Good luck to you too!

TinyBird: Well that is highly annoying. I'm unfamiliar with the creature you linked to but it does share a lot of design features with my concept.. I'll see if I can work around that. Thanks for the heads up! As for the life thing, as said I did some research into the life plane of Rift and I was, although I did forget to mention it, going to add elements of light but I don't think I will venture too far from the plant-like look or it would fall out of place in the game. I'll give it some thought, though. Thank you.

bullitbikini: I'm sorry but, I've no idea what a zerg horse is and I'll assume that by Chiron, you're referring to a general centaur and I'm not really going for that. In fact I was aiming for the exact opposite. A taur, yes, but nothing like the normal kind . It's a very early stage though and given the crits and suggestions and some thinking of my own I might go for something different entirely.

Thanks a lot everyone, lots of food for thought, I'll see if I can work on it a little more tonight!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, completely dropped the first concept and continued to thumbnail. Got a little stuck at some point, went through a few more stereotypical designs but I think I may have found something interesting enough to work with, which is the tentacle-forest-flower-guy. I quite like his silhouette. Might expand on his design a little further.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lhune; June 2nd, 2011 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 398 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This sounds like a good idea, but right now it looks too much like your standard humanoid with a flower ruff around his neck. I like how in your other designs the creatures look slightly awkward—they have limbs sticking out in the wrong places or bending in weird ways. As is he looks kind of like a clown, not a scary alien monster. It could also be the head: it's big, which detracts from his hugeness; and it's a predictable sort of devil-mask. What if you didn't have a recognizable head at all, just some sort of weird, botanical maw?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Corlan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr.Corlan: Good points, thank you . I'll see if I can combine a few things here and there or come up with a stronger design based off of this latest one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally like #2 That imp like giant. Maybe with some limps, that are only held by roots or something like that ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, agreed with Mr. Corlan. It's a humanoid with something stuck on it. The tendrils do create a nice effect, but you can put those on anything. I like #2 and #3.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the suggestions ! I have a few ideas in mind now, I'll try to get them out on canvas after I'm done with my homework.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went and did some more thumbnails. Ended up doing things differently than I initially had in mind but I suppose I'll keep going until I find something I'm happy with. I quite like #4 in this series though, I can imagine it hanging down from the Life-plane's canopy (the life plane is pretty much a scary, overgrown, living jungle).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I would either remove the claw things or amp them to eleven.
    For the record I lol'ed.

I find that I still enjoy the jawless horned horse head over the more reptillian heads. I suppose it's less earthy but seems far more like an adversary. But I also enjoy 4 on your latest series as well. (#3 I immediately thought of an ent). What's that at the end of it's body? Maybe instead of a snake, which is so commonly used, it could have the spindly legs of a centipede? ... Or maybe antennae that looks like a foo man choo on its face. ...Your thumbs are too fun. They're like a warshaw test.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL, Lhune... if you go with #4 you might reconsider it as a Air RIFT creature, because some of the lesser creatures there are naga-type! Don't ask me why, though. I don't get that correlation either. Maybe they're meant to be quetzal-like?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a fun thread

Seems like a difficult project. I don't know anything about the game--just that you said life plane is a living jungle. What if the boss was part of the jungle--not just having some bushes on him but the jungle ITSELF!

Ya I know, I'm scratching my own head (what does he MEAN??). But what if the boss was like...the jungle coming to life somehow?

EDIT: Mirana posted this link in Veajoun's thread and I watched the video. The monster in this video is a LOT like what I was trying to describe! Maybe you could still make it your own tho. http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/pla...ne-of-life.php

Last edited by Artfix; June 3rd, 2011 at 03:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eichelberg: They're not reptilian heads, they're bird-heads . Particularly with #3 I wanted the colossus to symbolize life from the ground up, as it were, with roots, grass and flowers at the bottom, tree bark in the middle and a tree canopy with birds and eggs at the top. I tried to stick to that design a bit when I made #4, the end of it's tail holds an egg. Funnily enough someone else suggested centipede as well, I'll see what I can do with that.

Mirana: I specifically chose for the Life plane because barely anyone chose it ^^. I found it a nice challenge! I didn't know there were nagas in the air plane though o.O Weird.

Artfix: I tried doing that by making him a snake, haha, so he could crawl through the canopy of the jungle without being "stuck" to it . When I think jungle coming to life though I can't help but think of some kind of giant monster plant, which has been very much overdone already .

Anyway thanks again everyone, once again lots of food for thought, I'll see what I can come up with next .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, seems like the Life rifts are more plants and toad like stuff. Birds are definitely in the air category too (griffins), according to what I can find of the official stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.