Sketchbook: Aereon's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Aereon's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Aereon's Sketchbook

THIS THREAD IS PRETTY OLD! PLEASE GO TO THE LATEST POST BY CLICKING HERE (:

Hey dudes, so after debating it for a few weeks, I decided to finally make my own sketchbook. :3 I'm a bit of a noob here though, so probably no one knows me xD Anyways, I hope you peeps enjoy my stuff nonetheless~
    I really hope on this site that I'll be able to get more advice than I do on Deviantart. Because for one my stuff doesn't usually get that many comments anyway, and when I do it's not advice ;( I wanna improveee xD
    Please look at latest stuff :D

I'm currently in college doing a art diploma, and hope to go to Uni in September to do illustration :D I'd really love to try out graphic novels, storyboard drawing and perhaps character design for games. :3 I can only dream xD

Yesterday I went to my sister's music concert, and as per usual I took my sketchbook with me :3 It's great being able to be inspired with the music and have so many people to draw from at the same time xD Though they had to be quite quick sketches cos otherwise people would catch me staring at them..
    It's pretty helpful though. Especially with faces and shading and stuff from a distance..

Name:  People-Watching-v2.png
Views: 597
Size:  749.4 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aereon~*; March 30th, 2013 at 10:53 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, we're in the same boat as far as career future goes. c: Those are the three things I'm going after. I may see you someday in the industry (which is such a cool thought).

Great sketches. I got some advice from a concept artist/graphic novelist once and he told me to draw anything/everything since you could be drawing anything in a comic. These are awesome though. The arms are really expressive on the conductor; I keep expecting him to move.

If you have the time, please stop by my sketchbook, Chock Full o'Nuts.
    I would appreciate any advice or critiques.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DKHutcheson - Haha yay! :3 Lol that is quite a cool thought~ hehe xD
    Ooh that's a pretty cool idea o: I may try that some time~ And thank you! I'm kinda disappointed about how the hands turned out though :/
    ---
    More sketches: Some macaws I drew a while ago from photos~ I love macaws :3
    Name:  Macaws.png
Views: 656
Size:  130.1 KB
    Name:  macaw2.png
Views: 599
Size:  106.1 KB

And a big caboodle of digital images..
    A test, taking an Original Character and putting him into a more realistic style (: I've done a lot of work with his character and this was quite fun..
    Name:  Tony.png
Views: 593
Size:  107.7 KB
    2 random paintings..
    Name:  criminal.png
Views: 588
Size:  187.3 KB
    Name:  Samurai.png
Views: 583
Size:  54.1 KB
    Trying my hand at still lives.. I really need to do more of these.
    Name:  flowers.png
Views: 584
Size:  239.7 KB
    Name:  glass.png
Views: 576
Size:  109.4 KB
    Big spam of image lul
    My painting stuff is so awful compared you lot I need to get better ;(
    Ad it's so strange too cos this isn't my usual style when it comes to digital, it's something I'm trying out. I think I like it not sure xD

Last edited by Aereon~*; May 23rd, 2011 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Design sheet for a character I'm working on for a comic I plan to do. Did it this morning, though been working on the project for a while. It's called 'The Adventures of Leodalf' and this is the main main character, I might do some for the sides as well (: But the most design sheets ya gonna see are for this dude.
    Name:  Design-sheet-1.png
Views: 585
Size:  409.8 KB
    The comic is based in medieval times with a fantasy twist. Original huh? Lolll
    Anyways, hopefully even though I'm using a popular setting, I can make this comic kind of original~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Since your thinking of going into character design and storyboards etc... I'd definitely start checking out some anatomy studies (You'll hear this alot, I heard it tons too haha). You can never practice these enough though. That and just keep drawing, both from life and of course from your imagination for fun.

Pretty sure this link has a bunch of andrew loomis' books
    They're always a good start if you've never heard of him.
    I suggest the figure drawing books, then the heads and hands book is also great

http://alexhays.com/loomis/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JFierce: Yay, thanks for those I downloaded them and have looked through the first few anatomy bits, and I found them really helpful (: So thank youuu
    ---
    Some figure studies I tried out using some anatomy stuff I learned from the loomis books. I was trying out rotating a pose from imagination.
    The first one was easiest , the second one I expected to be the hardest but it wasn't that bad, the third one is the one I found the hardest for some reason, even though it should just be the first one flipped basically.. oh well~
    Name:  Figure-practice-woman.png
Views: 541
Size:  113.9 KB

Last edited by Aereon~*; May 25th, 2011 at 08:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some sketches I did during the last hour of my doggies and some spontaneous hand sketches Started a new A6 SB today, I love these little things. Easy to carry round, they have a soft cover, a little pocket for pictures, a bookmark thing and really good paper.
    I wuvvvv my dogs they're so cute xD I never really draw them though which is weird, cos I've been living around dogs for more than half my life lol
    I'm quite happy with my dog sketches because of that though (: We have 2 at the moment, a german shepherd and a golden labrador-retriever. The german shepherd is called Umber and he's still a puppy (though fully grown). He's a big baby But he's such a sweetheart lol.
    We only get to keep him for year and then he goes back to guide dogs, cos my mum trains puppies for them It's been 11 years of this routine and I still get sad watching them leave xD Oh well, they all go to good homes (:
    Our other dog is around 10 years old and is really lazy xD We actually trained him for guide dogs and he got rejected, so we decided to keep him
    After each sketch I fixed it so that I couldn't rub it out, I think it was quite a good excersise d:
    Havent drawn hands for such a long time.. they look more like 90 year old hands than 19 lolll, oh wells it's all practice~
    If you look closely at the hands, you can see a little mini portrait of my Dad~ hehe.
    Name:  25_05_11-sb-sketches.png
Views: 582
Size:  744.6 KB

Last edited by Aereon~*; May 25th, 2011 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks fore stoping bay my sb and nice stuff going her kipp them koming kipp rocking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sevarenge: You're welcome dude (: You keep rocking too :D
    ----
    My latest piece thing.. I told myself I would try and post as little fanart as possible here, because I do too much of it, but for this piece I tried out something new so I hope you like :D

So one of my many fandoms is DC comics (as you might be able to guess from my icon) :P This is Starfire (with a slightly altered costume based of the cartoon version) and Richard Grayson (The first Robin) :>

Name:  Robin-n-Starfire-lineart.png
Views: 1662
Size:  316.9 KB

Lol, you can totally tell I love this thing too much cos I put my 'DD' instead of my usual SIZ sig thing.. Also I HATE MY SCANNER. So much detail lost ;(

So for this piece I tried out doing a sketch in my sketchbook first then drawing over it on plain paper, it worked out better than I thought, and I found it quite easy to improve on the original sketch which I worried about xD
    Anyways, these are just the beginning lines. The shapes on Robins face are meant to represent where I'll put shadow later, if I work on this sketch some more I'll post an update (:
    Hope you like! :D
    Did this with my favourite mechanical pencil, and a eraser (:
    No reference used :>
    Took around... 2 hours?

Last edited by Aereon~*; May 26th, 2011 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Isn't it always the way? I updated this thing loads, and then I don't post at all for a month.
    Weird how I came back exactly a month later though.. Haha
    Anyway, here are to latest sketches I've done.. I'm afraid they're fanart.
    First one's Rimmer from Red Dwarf (massive fan) in his cowboy get up
    Name:  Rimmer-cowboy-diff-hand.png
Views: 613
Size:  1.16 MB
    Second one of the 11th doctor, from that episode he wore a Stetson to meet the others..
    Name:  doctor-cowboystetson.png
Views: 569
Size:  315.7 KB
    There's a bit of a theme going on here Hehe
    I do a lot of these kind of sketches... these 2 are both done on 1 layer.
    I'm not usually very good at hats, so I'm pretty happy with the results of these (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't updated here in a longggg time, so here's my latest piece of art, which I did the night before last on a whim. I couldn't sleep, hadn't painted for ages and felt a bit guilty, so jumped out of bed and spent like a hour on this. Started as a doodle and became something more :3

Name:  SKULL-KID.png
Views: 583
Size:  505.5 KB

I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Obviously it's not meant to be anatomically correct or anything, because even though the skull was referenced (I want to practice more with skulls in the future, animal ones as well, they really help with learning the form of something), there would obviously be muscles and stuff as well under the skin so the skull is not meant to be.. yeah. xD
    Not painted a skull before, or really looked at one and drawn it in detail like here before. I'd like to though, in future, try a lot more with skulls, because I found after painting the skull, the face structure was a lot easier to paint than usual Yay.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Felt like drawing 'The Incredibles' after watching the movie. This was fun I do too much fanart...

Name:  The-Incrediblesd.png
Views: 561
Size:  338.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to upload some pages from my Uni sketchbooks so far. I got onto the course I wanted to and Uni is great (: Hope you like these... They're just random combinations not necessarily related. I went to the Zoo so there's some sketches from that (not the Lions, they were done from a photo). Everything else is done by observation though, in life drawing they make us experiment a lot with using our hands/eyes differently so please read the notes on the page! (:

Name:  zoo-and-trainers2.png
Views: 441
Size:  1.27 MB
    Name:  zoo-and-trainers3.png
Views: 435
Size:  840.1 KB
    Name:  Lions!.png
Views: 450
Size:  1.26 MB
    Name:  left-handed-shoes.png
Views: 453
Size:  1.23 MB
    Name:  Life-drawing-small copy.png
Views: 442
Size:  820.9 KB
    Name:  life-drawing-small2.png
Views: 454
Size:  1.16 MB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

15. The Following User Says Thank You to feavre For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, dudes. Another update. Macaws have to be one of my favourite animals :3 Might add some colour to these later on..
    Name:  Macaws.png
Views: 390
Size:  401.7 KB
    Name:  macaws2.png
Views: 380
Size:  281.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's fab to see you've made a start with such a wide variety of things, including some stuff from uni (by the way I love your rabbits that are on the boards in the halls! I'm always looking at the work even if it's always there).
    You already know I love your style, you have a way with that hatching and good strong lines, I like how you do your shading too, I love your comments on those peacocks-they make so much noise and there were like six of them!
    Your hands are interesting there's a sort of 3D feel to them too because of the detail you put into them, and I remember you have an interest in those parrots, I think you would have loved my cockateil/parakeet (Mom name him Landers-> ) who could speak and pretend to be a phone XD He was such a laugh, parrots have those beady eyes that make you wonder what they're plotting...you captured their inquisitive nature,
    All you need to do is never stop drawing and you'll be great, no doubt - so yeah I'll be waiting for the next update ^^ I will try to be of help if ever you need it here too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Akora: Thanks, Chelsea I've been kind of slacking with drawing to be honest, and I just tried to draw today and all I could come up that I was happy with was that Skyrim drawing ): But I shall try and update more, and get back into it (:
    ---------------
    Thought I'd update with some more stuff ^^ I prefer the new uploader a lot. :3

Anywho, first 2 pictures were done on Friday. Did some life drawing referenced from here, and then a macaw drawing referenced from a Google image. :3 I really miss doing life drawing classes. They were some of my favourites, and I think not having them in routine anymore is affecting how much I draw ): So I'm gonna try and do my own life drawing studies more regularly. I may also try and find somewhere I can do them as part of a class. Because referencing from photos is one thing, while having the actual thing in front of you is totally different.
    Macaw could have turned out better too.. BUT, in the end, practice is practice and you shouldn't hide your mistakes. So here you go:
    Name:  nekkid-peoples.png
Views: 267
Size:  412.0 KB
    Name:  parroty.png
Views: 281
Size:  779.3 KB

And this is a silly little thing I just did because my 2 flatmates are playing Skyrim at the moment and I can't myself. :<
    Name:  skyrim-blegh.png
Views: 278
Size:  334.3 KB
    Heh. So yeah, yo dudes!

Last edited by Aereon~*; November 6th, 2012 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided that as well as the update I should have probably updated with what I had done during the er... 11ish months I didn't update for xD Woah, that's a long time.

Anywho, here's a few things. There's a lot more recent stuff in my Deviantart Gallery if anyone wants to have a look.
    So yeah, here's some stuff for my thread that ISN'T close to a year old.

This is a painting I did of my friend referenced from one of her photos on 13/08/12. I was really proud of this when I'd finished it, because I'd never done anything like it before and really liked the result.
    Name:  jess_bowie_by_shadowiz-d5b3tsv.png
Views: 246
Size:  575.7 KB
    These were some expression practices I did for my Z.C thing ^^ 06/10/12
    Name:  zc__jl_expression_practice1_by_shadowiz-d4m6pxg.png
Views: 246
Size:  148.9 KB
    Zombified my friend for his birthday. :3 I like zombies. xD 13/01/12
    Name:  zc__birthday_zombie_by_shadowiz-d532cch.png
Views: 251
Size:  195.4 KB
    Sketch of Ian McKellen. Done because.. Why not? 31/03/12
    Name:  ian_by_shadowiz-d4ulxn3.png
Views: 243
Size:  459.3 KB
    The Joker! Felt like giving him a go. 03/17/12
    Name:  dc__the_joker_by_shadowiz-d55yotn.png
Views: 244
Size:  245.9 KB

Sorry they're not in order.. And sorry it's such a weird mix of things, I just went through my DA gallery and chose what caught my eye. xP
    But yeah, stuff from Summer, that isn't almost a year old. xD

Last edited by Aereon~*; November 6th, 2012 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few life drawing practices from today. Most of these were done using Kxhara's stock on DeviantArt, with a couple of sketches of my hands thrown in. ^^
    Name:  curlsmall.png
Views: 469
Size:  969.4 KB
    Name:  curl4.png
Views: 390
Size:  1.10 MB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As you may or may not know (probably not, no one checks this thread anyway :B) my laptop is dead at the moment. So the only way I can access the interwebs at the moment is through Uni. Anywho, I just scanned these and decided I'd share. These are some sketch ideas done for the 'The Pope says there was no animals at the Nativity' brief that we got in Uni for class. Hope you like!
    Name:  DONKAYYYY.png
Views: 208
Size:  644.4 KB
    (Done 07/12/12)
    Well, those were fun. Bye for now! :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided I'd dump my most recent sketchbook stuff. AKA all the stuff I've scanned in the last 4 months.
    Enjoy? No one looks at this stuff anyway xD This year I hope to keep practicing anatomy, maybe start doing landscapes more and try out painting tradtionally more.. Hopefully. xD
    Name:  bus1.png
Views: 209
Size:  529.5 KB
    Name:  bus2.png
Views: 197
Size:  995.1 KB
    Name:  bus4.png
Views: 201
Size:  550.4 KB
    Most the above sketches are from the coach home around Christmas, apart from the fruit bowl, which I drew while at home.
    Name:  drunk1small.png
Views: 249
Size:  513.7 KB
    Name:  drunk3small.png
Views: 337
Size:  785.9 KB
    Name:  drunk2small.png
Views: 220
Size:  504.6 KB
    Funny story, I was actually kinda tipsy from the night before while drawing those pages. Was fun though, and I was happy to still be quite happy with the results after I'd regained my sobriety. For some reason the tipsy feeling lasted all day. xD
    Name:  bus3.png
Views: 222
Size:  1.35 MB
    Name:  drawprogramtrial1-1.png
Views: 183
Size:  687.7 KB
    Name:  drawprogramtrial1-2.png
Views: 221
Size:  429.0 KB
    Name:  drawprogramtrial1-3.png
Views: 181
Size:  856.1 KB
    And those pages I did using a drawing website that times poses for you. Pretty fun :B I did some more just now but weren't as happy with them. But every bit of practice helps I guess, and everyone has off days.
    Anywho, weeee.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  delmeris-characer-sketches.png
Views: 175
Size:  323.8 KB
    Doings drawings of my roleplay character, Delmeris. Think Iím finally settling on an appearance for her after all this time of trying to. :3
    Think I may try a colour painting next.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dudes! Hardly anyone checks this thread of mine, but I'm trying to keep it updated now. Maybe I'll make a new thread. You know, new sketchbook, new start. That kind of thing. Maybe. (:
    Anywho - This is a piece I did yesterday, was really fun! And I'm really happy with the result!
    Name:  SELF-PORTRAIT-FINISHED-SMALLER smaller SMALLLEEEERRRR.png
Views: 162
Size:  379.4 KB
    I took progress screenshots while painting this, so I may post them soon to show my process. :D This is definitely the most refined portrait I've ever done, and the first digital painting I've ever done of myself! (Made attempts, always gave up after 5 minutes cause they never worked). Which I consider quite a big deal, seeing as the last finished portrait I did of myself was during my GCSEs (like 6 years ago), and it was a drawing I did against my will.
    Anywho, so yeah I'm really happy with how the skin turned out.. And the headphones, I'm quite surprised with them.. And the expression! I never pull normal expressions. I prefer to look strange. I mean, if I'm going to look weird, I'd rather it be on purpose.
    Took around 7 hours, working non-stop and on the 8 hours sleep I'd accumulated during the last 3 nights previously.

So yeah. Basically I'm really happy with this! I hope you enjoy my face. <3

Last edited by Aereon~*; March 30th, 2013 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the comment on my SB. You had a huge year-long drop off from Dec 2011 to Nov 2012, what happened there?! Either way, it's good that you've decided to start posting more. I think that mixed with staying active in other people's SB's will get you more people coming to your thread and helping you out with your work.

The portrait you did is funny; I like the expression a lot. The values in it could pushed quite a bit more. I've uploaded your image but in greyscale, and what you'll notice is that most of your forms just aren't "turning" due to the values not being separated enough. Also the overexposure from the camera used to take the picture has caused most of your light side to be flat - it's like using wide-angled-lens distortion when drawing in perspective, good effect if you know exactly how to treat it and pretty distracting and ugly when you don't. It just takes time/observation. I'd be interested in seeing the picture you used as reference, then maybe it'd be possible to further point out subtle things you might've missed to help out a bit more.

Hope some of this helps, and again I'm glad you've decided to update more. Try everyday, if you can, and you'll see yourself leap ahead in no time at all. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool sketchbook! You should really post more actively though. I mean that way more people will notice your thread and comment here.

I really agree with what MrFrenik said about the values on that portrait, but the expression is very good and feels natural, so you succeeded there. Anyway, more than anything, I hope you just start posting regurarly. I'll be sure to come back and check the thread again soon. Hope to see more posts : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with everything mrfrenik wrote and also recommend to make self portraits using a mirror and not from photos.
    you learn a lot about simplifying values and how the form turns.
    also get a book about fundementals and try to deconstruct the places that you need to work on and make a work schedule.
    also -draw more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there,

Thanks for commentign on my stuff.

Some advice for your figure drawings: make copies of Loomis', Richer`s, Bdigeman`s or other old anatomy master books and focus on accuracy. Also, try to really understand what you're drawing, again, reading anatomy books is good for this.

Congratulations for switching form DA to here tough, you'll get much mreo useful advice.

#23 is currently your best piece.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes and keep up the hard work!

Sketchbook

A creative artist works on his next composition because he is not satisfied with his previous one. When he loses a critical attitude toward his own work, he ceases to be an artist. - Dmitri Shostakovich

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry I haven't stopped here for a while- I know we seem to not have a lot of time when our deadlines rear their ugly heads!Haha. Well from the looks of your last posts I'd say you have improved, your lines are clearer and more confident and I'm jealous of how you paint! Since mine end up looking quite muddy :3 You do pull those expressions that the old animators would (if I'm right the artists at Disney would pull a overly exaggerated happy.sad.angry face and place it onto their characters as they drew with a mirror beside them)So the fact you have that is brilliant.I took your idea to start a new sketchbook since my last one had too many time gaps, like I was on holiday every three weeks XD psh. I know you'll keep on going!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.