Jack Faragasso: Mastering Drawing the Human Figure From Life, Memory, Imagination

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 747 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Jack Faragasso: Mastering Drawing the Human Figure From Life, Memory, Imagination

I had this book recommended to me by a member whom I deeply respect, but when looking online at some reviews they seem to be a little mixed but mostly on the bad side.

I am interested in learning more about the Reilly method (specifically it's abstractions of the head) and figure drawing in general, and wanted to know people's opinions on the book. I am a little tight on cash at the moment, so don't want to be spending money unnecessarily. Feel free to look at my sketchbook for my current level and tell me if you feel it will aid me--at the moment I am not taking any art courses (still finishing up high school) so am looking for more direction with my art.

Somebody out there has to have this book, so if you do, please leave a comment! Thanks in advance guys.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,931 Times in 2,384 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have every reilly method book there is. Doug Higgins book is a better choice and most of it is free online, on his site. The faragasso book is pretty dense and hard to use without a planes of the head model which will set you back a hundred bucks alone.

Last edited by dpaint; May 22nd, 2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Reilly Method, Planes of the head

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Faragasso's (unfortunately out-of-print) painting book is much better than his drawing book. If you're not already familiar with basic Reilly drawing concepts, I'd second dpaint and say start with Doug Higgins.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 11