Struggling with portraits!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Struggling with portraits!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Struggling with portraits!

I've recently been trying to improve my work, I spent a while drawing figures, objects, characters, monsters, just anything rally, to improve. Something I've always been bad at however is portraits, and I decided to try improve them.

my first attempt today I had to spent a good 5 minutes making the outline/shape of the head, and marking out where the features would be, then I ended up spending another 20 or so minutes just trying to make the mouth look right (someone advised me to just trace the outlines then work on shading but I felt like that would be cheating/wouldn't help me improve), the same happened with the nose, eyes i'm okay with, and even once i got it all outlined I just wasnt sure where to start with the shading, that might sound weird, but i can't really explain it, I just have no idea how to start

tl;dr struggling with portraits, need tips

My Sketch Book: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3085866

Please comment+critique
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    working sight-size helps; when I do, I butterfly a mirror to make sure the horizontal landmarks relate, and I drop a plumb-line alongside the wing of the nose, from which I can relate the widths.
    that's a start; if you can achieve a solid block-in in 3 hours or so, you're in a good place.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to duztman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Portraits are one of the more difficult subjects to draw, as even the slightest error is plainly evident (even to non-artists).

That is to say: don't worry if you can't draw a decent one while you're starting out. It takes time and a tremendous amount of practice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing helped me more than drawing from life. Its hard to do a good portrait (or anything else for that matter) if you don't have lots of life drawing. The three dimensional aspect of what you are looking at really is apparent. A plumb line is good as is learning contstructive techniques; so when you are painting from life you know what it is you are looking at.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa! Five minutes?! And you didn't nail the outline/shape? Give up man...you should be able to magically make an accurate outline and shape appear on your page! Shading is definitely cheating so, yeah...that was crap advice.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperOne View Post
    my first attempt today I had to spent a good 5 minutes making the outline/shape of the head, and marking out where the features would be, then I ended up spending another 20 or so minutes just trying to make the mouth look right (someone advised me to just trace the outlines then work on shading but I felt like that would be cheating/wouldn't help me improve), the same happened with the nose, eyes i'm okay with, and even once i got it all outlined I just wasnt sure where to start with the shading, that might sound weird, but i can't really explain it, I just have no idea how to start
    mentioning the time spent, sounds to me like you didnt enjoy it but been watching the watch. the reason of a study is not, to create a copy, because epson, canon & co are better at that. its about learning and its an opportunity to learn something first hand. something to be appreciated and not wasted by stressing when its finally over.

knowledge and studies are the way to get an idea how to start. as far as i know, aint the mona lisa (insert another stereotype masterpainting in here) been painted on the first day davinci picked up a brush.

just take it placidly, that the art of picture making is a life time commitment. dont try to rush it, because insight is a shrewd w*hore (the filter is redicilous), but be in cognition-mode as much as possible.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperOne View Post
    I've recently been trying to improve my work, I spent a while drawing figures, objects, characters, monsters, just anything rally, to improve. Something I've always been bad at however is portraits, and I decided to try improve them.

tl;dr struggling with portraits, need tips
    Don't feel bad, I feel your pain. I hate drawing hands. Foreshorten hands are the worst. Just to give you an example.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ronin356 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Whoa! Five minutes?! And you didn't nail the outline/shape? Give up man...you should be able to magically make an accurate outline and shape appear on your page! Shading is definitely cheating so, yeah...that was crap advice.
    Haha, I'm always one to love a good bit of sarcasm, now that i read what I wrote it does sound a little strange, what I meant was, I felt like i'd be cheating if I traces the outline of the head/features, instead of practising getting them right myself

Please comment+critique

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SemperOne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sone_one View Post
    mentioning the time spent, sounds to me like you didnt enjoy it but been watching the watch.
    I think you might be onto something, i mean the times were really just estimates more than anything, but I am concentrating too much on the end product and not enjoying the journey!

Please comment+critique

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've actually been working with self portraits recently and I'm finding them thoroughly frustrating as well. I honestly don't know how you got a solid outline of the head and it's features in 5 minutes, that's probably way too quick. Sure someone with lots of experience could draw a head really quickly but when your just starting out it's probably going to take longer. Construction on the head and its features is important, as Noah Bradley said "even the slightest error is plainly evident", so you should make sure the head is constructed properly before you move on to shading that portrait.

If you want to work on portraits you need to work on construction of the head, if you want to work on shading then tracing and then shading isn't cheating, your just learning two specific things separately. If you want to learn how to draw portraits and shade them at the same time then you need to construct out the head properly first so that when you shade the only errors will be in shading. And finally again I'm quoting Noah here "It takes time and a tremendous amount of practice."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ArcZephyer For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Have fun with your fellow forum members http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152123 Just get us right and we won't come after you with pitchforks.

Seriously, all the features are related and that's what you need to concentrate on. Check, double check.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Glad you took it as intended - with humor. The shading comment as well.

Portraits are the same as any other subject - it's about accurate observation, drawing, value, etc. They're a bit trickier only because it is a "person". Try not to think of it that way way though and think only in terms of shape, value, edge - constantly comparing distances between one observable form or edge and another. Get a copy of William Maugham's "The Artist's Complete Guide to Drawing the Head"...that will help you far more than we ever can.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Glad you took it as intended - with humor. The shading comment as well.

Portraits are the same as any other subject - it's about accurate observation, drawing, value, etc. They're a bit trickier only because it is a "person". Try not to think of it that way way though and think only in terms of shape, value, edge - constantly comparing distances between one observable form or edge and another. Get a copy of William Maugham's "The Artist's Complete Guide to Drawing the Head"...that will help you far more than we ever can.
    I'll check the book out tomorrow, thanks a lot, and yes, I'm a lover of sarcasm myself, haha

Please comment+critique

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Have fun with your fellow forum members http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152123 Just get us right and we won't come after you with pitchforks.

Seriously, all the features are related and that's what you need to concentrate on. Check, double check.
    What a good idea!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.