Art: Painting a harcover journal?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painting a harcover journal?

I had an idea to paint the cover and back of a hardcover journal as Christmas present for my girlfriend. She likes to write allot so a custom journal would be just the right thing. The problem is that I donít know what kind of paints I should use. I was thinking acrylics; I've never used oils so I don't know if that would be a better choice.

The issue being I donít want the paints to not adhere to the book and then just chip off. It needs to be covered in some kind of finisher that would protect it from daily life. I was thinking that I would have to put a primer on first to create a paintable surface, paint, and than clear coat it for protection.

Could anyone help me out here?

Nick

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know about that, but I have a good tip on homemade paper u can use for letters you might write her whenever your feeling romantic. Get tracing paper and crumble it into a ball. open it up and put it inside a bucket big enuogh for the paper to fit inside opened up. Inside the bucket fill it with a little bit of water, just enough to cover the paper. Then with water based paint( illustration paint works better) put some of it on ther. like some blue, or pinkish purple in their. if u have some metalics use those as well. When u think its done. take it out and dry it with a blowdryer or let it dry but make sure it dries as flat as possible. Then whe dry use this paper to write her fancy letters on. Girls love this stuff. U can also turn on a candle and burn some of the edges off. b careful cuz it burns fast. maybe a whole here or there. U can get a really cool affect.

Tell me if u use it.

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's a MUCH better idea to use acrylic than oil for a cover of a book. (because even when the oil becomes touch dry it'll still be sticky!) both media will stick to the book. have you ever used matte medium? this is a technique that is very popular with illustrators. using matte medium to seal the paper. after you put a coat or two of matte medium, you can paint oil or acrylic over it. if you don't put matte medium or anything else to seal the paper, the oil might seep in and it won't rot the paper, but well it's still not pretty. the matte medium is nice too because it gives the cover extra strength.
    i've tried with both oil and acrylic. the oil does look better, but the acrylic cover is still in pretty good shape, maybe i'm just a really messy person.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jrr:
    Hey thanks alot jrr thats what i needed. I havent ever heard or used matte medium. Is that the name of it? So i could just go to the art supply store and pick some up.

iwasink:
    Thats pretty cool, but due to my poor writing skills... thats a bad idea for me to try. I'll miss spell something and not notice and then it will be a flop.

If anyone has other processes that could be used, I would love to hear them also. You can never have enough options.

thanks

Last edited by nick reynolds; December 8th, 2002 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh matte medium, is acrylic medium. i guess liquatex is the best stuff. kinda expensive, but good. make sure to get matte and not glossy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks agian.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.