cartoon character painting
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: cartoon character painting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cartoon character painting

Hi everyone. This is an development from an old sketch that i did few years ago. I uploaded the current state of the work and an work-in-progress sheet. Thanks for viewing .

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job on the hair and the eyes!

As far as improvements go, I would say that the mouth could do with some work as the teeth look a little bit goofy, and, it might just be me but i prefer the jawline on the original sketch.
    apart from those issues i think its a great character, good job!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to joe` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you. Here's the newest wip. Added in freckles, some details and fixes.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think with her stylized anatomy, larger and fewer freckles would read a bit better. Not crazy large mind you...

Also, freckles tend to carry over the bridge of the nose and on the shoulders.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You might want to take a 2nd look at her nostrils too.

I think that one is a little too centered in the nose looking at the current angle of her face, there would be a bit more of a bulge in the side to allow for the nostril, and we would probably get the hint of the other nostril.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bai Fan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this, but I can't help but feel that the separation between her neck and head might be a little bit too harsh. You can't really tell where the head is attached to the neck, so it sort of gives the image the feel of a disembodied head floating in front of a picture of a neck. The fact that the neck is rendered differently from the face/head is adding to this effect, but the rendering may not matter if they are clearly attached.

When a face is in 3/4 view, you can almost always see where the neck attaches behind the ears/toward the base of the skull...

And here's my sketchbook. Help me out with some c&c?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eclectic rhapsody For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey this is a neat idea! I think I'd like to try doing this with one of my old pictures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Bai Fan: thank you, i'll try 2 fix the nostrils. About the freckles i guess i'm abit cautious in adding them. Nevertheless i'll add more.
    @eclectic rhapsody: i understand that. However i'm trying 2 give a cartoon proportion to my character so i think a thin neck would be more suitable rather then a proportionally correct one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get what you're going for. My comment wasn't directed toward proportion. The head and neck just seem like they're parts of separate entities.

If I can attempt to re-explain- The neck is rendered in a slightly different style, and it doesn't have the same dimensionality that the head does. Because this difference in rendering occurs during a (sharp) transition from one body part to another, this results in her acquiring a collaged/pieced together feel, which doesn't seem intentional because of how much attention is being paid to the face.

I'm not convinced that the neck is attached to the torso in a really convincing way either; her trapezius seems inappropriately amorphous...I think it might be a good idea to grab some reference for the torso/neck area.

And here's my sketchbook. Help me out with some c&c?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to eclectic rhapsody For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rhapsody is right, the neck just looks a little disconnected. The tones are different, the neck looks a little too dark, everyone has pretty much said anything that I would have, nice work so far. Maybe add something in for a background?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sprogis7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gotcha, thx guys! Will fix the neck. Oh and i will add some smt to background too, maybe some watercolor marks or brush strokes. Again much appreciate for your critiques ^^.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.