Digital still life environment

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Digital still life environment

This is my first post in ages, maybe my first ever post. I'm eager to improve my skills rapidly and spent four hours this afternoon with stylus to tablet PC drawing the splendid jewelry gallery in the V&A Museum, London. It was very crowded but I wanted to focus on the environment. I find this picture eerily empty looking back at it!

I believe I need to learn some basics about painting like this. I used Photoshop and rarely took the brush off 100% opacity, and I only changed layers occasionally. I also moved from one part of the painting to another, working-up the detail of areas in isolation. I don't know how to bring up a perspective guideline grid in Photoshop, but I did spend a bit of time at first trying to find out how to do so in the menus. I haven't calibrated my laptop screen's colour... So much to learn! I'm pleased with my focus and perseverance, tho', and want to do better next time!

Digital still life environment

Last edited by emeraldsong; April 28th, 2014 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Repairing broken image link
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice style here man, great lighting and details too, like the glints off the metal.

Firstly, well done on painting on only a few layers, that's something many people I know struggle with, and I did for a bit too. Using less layers is always faster, and makes things feel more natural. Secondly, you should try out different brush settings; just with the default round brush, but playing with the opacity and flow. Helps your photoshop skills, and also makes it more fun. This video is a good one on brush settings:

Other than that, my advice is good job, keep it up, and maybe make an online sketchbook in this forum.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply! I didn't really understand Flow and there were plenty of keyboard shortcuts there that I don't use already. Useful basics thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.