Sketchbook: luxaeterna's (total noob) sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

luxaeterna's (total noob) sketchbook

Hey guys,

I'm 25 years old and from germany. I love all different forms of art, but one of my biggest wishes always was to learn drawing, which I felt was..not for me.

I'm not for giving up, so I finally bought a Wacom Bamboo and a book (Betty Edwards "Drawing on the right side of the brain"), and already improved in the last week from what looked like drawn by a 6-year-old to..something better. (ATM I'm only drawing with pencil, not digitally.)
    (Edit: Kicked Betty Edwards off my desk, now practising with Bridgman and Nicolaides)

As I'm a total beginner, please don't laugh and bear with me. I'm highly ambitioned and willing to learn, so all feedback is highly welcome!

My absolute first attempts are really, really...BAD.

(Don't mind the attachment..just needed a nice picture, but I only have nice photos, no sketches..)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by luxaeterna; May 28th, 2011 at 05:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to leave it be with the Betty Edwards-book after I read a lot of critique on its methods.

I started reading Nicolaides - The Natural Way To Draw and my plan is to practise besides of that one hour per day. Let's see if I can keep up with that.

First my old sketches, and then my quick sketches for today (finally got a sketchbook..).

Last edited by luxaeterna; May 28th, 2011 at 05:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see a fellow artist take a plunge in the early stages as well. For first attempts, they could be a lot worse, trust me.

Critique: Image 1 - To me, the thumb seems to have a slightly unnatural bend to the left, maybe it's just me, but it's the only real glaring error I see in that one.

Image 4 (The batch of three hands) - The second hand has a few mistakes, but they're not too noticeable until you look a little closer. The thumb is pointing outward, away from the palm, which looks like an uncomfortable angle. The fingernail on the pinky doesn't line up 'just right'. I'd probably make more sense with a red-line.

So far a decent start with a few honest mistakes, just keep on truckin'. I better do my share of studies too.

Hopefully some of the regulars and more experienced bunch take a peek at this.

Last edited by Enigmasflame; May 22nd, 2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: An afterthought
    "Winners never quit, quitters never win"- Vince Lombardi
    "When both sides are convinced they're going to lose, they're both right" - Murphy's Law
    "Good artists copy, great artists steal" - Picasso
    "An object in motion tends to stay in motion" - Isaac Newton
    Equipment: Pencil, paper, VisTablet, Painter X
    Goals:
    Invest 2,000+ hours into practice [110/2,000(?)]
    Successfully train my off-hand [Not Yet]
    Start participating at EnterVOID [Eventually]
    My SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks very much Enigmasflame! I second what you say about the faults, I just have to practise.

So here we go..first, my sketches from yesterday (3 pages), and the contour sketches after Nicolaides (from observation and posemaniacs) which look pretty much like.. *ss.

I divided Nicolaides' 3 hours drawing lesson into three parts, so more to come today.

My Bridgman book should also arrive today :>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More from today, as the Bridgman-book arrived. The scans look way too harsh in color, gotta adjust that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey watsup.
    your hand studies and figures are pretty damn good for someone who's starting out.
    Good to know your dedicated, it certainly is a looonnnnnnnggggg fkn journey, but i think
    u will make it, dont lose hope The tunnel will get longer and longer, but one day u'll
    get to the end. and then theres another tunnel@!

im just talking crap. god shit, keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi tronrobot

Thanks very much - the hand studies go pretty fast now, but the figures are way more complicated for me. Good that there are "over 1.000 drawings" in Bridgman's book to practise..whoah. I'm getting a lot of hope for myself out of the development I see in other sketchbooks. For me, the biggest impulse to follow this journey is the thought of creating everything I want on a piece of paper.

So, more studies will be coming today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Somehow the scanned pictures look way crappier than the actual ones.

More Bridgman studies, on the first page I had a really hard time struggling with the pose on the right and ended up trying it seven times..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beginners united!!!

Really nice hand studies. Keep the updates coming!

Und danke fürs vorbeischauen und motivieren in meinem Skizzenbuch!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Zipfelzeus!

More Bridgman studies from yesterday, this time not scanned but photographed.

First page: had a problem with the lower left study. The leg behind looks somehow wrong. And in the lower right study, the lower leg is wayyy to short..

Second page: in the upper left study, the leg behind looks also not quite right.

Third page: is the lower study correct? O.o

I've gotta say, I really like practising the Bridgman studies. And I like printed books, so I also bought the Nicolaides book. Too sad the Loomis books are so rare and expensive.. I hate reading eBooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The studies are coming along nicely! I think you should try out charcoal when you're ready to dive into the rendering (shading) process. It really helped me learn faster to use a fuller range of values (and still is), because it goes much darker than graphite and faster. Just set up some still lifes to test it out and attend local figure drawing sessions while reading your Bridgman -- should help!

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for your comment! (schreib dir mal in englisch, weil ich mich immer etwas ausgeschlossen fühle, wenn im Forum was in ner Sprache geschrieben wird, die ich nicht verstehe :3)

Yeah, I ordered the Bridgman book about two days ago, so it should arrive sometime next week.
    At the moment I'm really motivated to draw at least an hour every day. Cause I finally want to become really good ^^

I think your doing a great job with those studies, I especially like your handstudies!
    Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Deadlyhazard: Thanks! I'll give the charcoal a try soon. ATM I feel like I would mess up still lifes and "real" life drawing, but at some point I have to start.

@Ba5u: Now I got Bridgman and the Nicolaides-Book also arrived today, have you also got that? Yeah, I think 1 hour per day is the absolute minimum to improve soon. Thank you Besides all the great artists I feel like a 6yo with my drawing skills, but sketchbooks like the one from "MindCandyMan" are giving me sooo much hope. ^^

So, here are my Bridgman studies from yesterday.

Page one: the big guy doesn't look muscular, but FAT. Meh! And the one on the lower left doesn't look right to me, yet I can't exactly tell what's wrong.

Page two: I have a serious problem with lower legs. I had to redraw the ones on the lower study like..7 times and couldn't get it done better. What the hell do I do wrong?

Page three: Couldn't get the ones right which are crossed out. The balance is simply wrong. I'm gonna try that again. And again, some problems with the lower legs, hence the question marks..

Page four: Not quite happy with the two crooked (?) ones. What is wrong with them?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there,

I think that in the second page it doesn't seem right, cause the lower legs are too short and the feet too small...
    otherwise you're doing a great job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Ba5u!

Here are my sketches from yesterday.

Page 1: Contour 20 mins (for the Nicolaides-schedule)

Page 2: The lower legs again...arglgh.

Page 3: The upper middle study doesn't look right to me, but I can't tell why.

Page 4: Lower legs.. And I can see some serious ass problems at the upper right dancer.

Page 5: The lower middle one is kinda wrong at the side. And I got to draw the lower right one again.

Page 6: I was really tired. Totally messed up the right one.

I'm really happy with my progress, but I want MORE, faster!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are those studies from bridgman?
    I think you're really getting better.
    About page 2:
    I'm not sure, but I don't think that the lower legs are the problem there. The whole pose seems to be unbalanced...

Do you know Algenpflegers Sketchbook?
    He's not updating anymore, but his thread is sooo motivating. He went in 4 years from almost zero to pro!
    Take a look >>here<<

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ba5u For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start, so many sketches!
    Just keep an eye of the proportions. Sometimes the upper body seems to be short and other times the legs are short.
    Try so use different pencils or take a blue one. Sketch down the proportions very soft, just as lines and geometric shapes. After that you can start with darker pencils and sketch the real shapes of your figure. Use always reference lines, that will help a lot =)
    Keep it up!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JuliaMetzger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ba5u: The first one's from posemaniacs, the rest is all Bridgman. Thanks, also for your critique - I tried that one again.
    Oh yeah, I already found Algenpfleger's sketchbook, ATM I'm reading MindCandyMan's Sketchbook, and after that I'll read this one. That's so damn inspirational, and it shows you simply have to work hard for what you want to archieve.

@Valyavande: Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind! For my newest sketches I already used another pencil for the forms, and it worked really well.

So here are my sketches from today, after the first page I felt much more confident with the lines underneath.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I finally finished the 3hr session of contour drawing..I hate it!

All from pixelovely, and as they are contour drawings, they look like crap, meh. But I swore to myself I'd post everything I draw.

The first one is my first attempt with charcoal, I really have to learn how to use it properly, hence the messed up face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey great gestural work you have going on! I like how clean your line work is! Now your starting to get more of a hang of it. Your next step should be to take these figures and see them as 3 dimensional objects. Stop looking at them as 2d and think volumetrically. Start making your drawings as if they were wire frames. (I have an example in my sketchbook) As if they were transparent and you could get a sense of volume. I see that you were using the box in some of your sketches. Great! try to think more along this cubic plus cylindrical and spherical line. Keep it up!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to yogeshj25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks yogeshj25, atm I'm more in the stage of still copying the Bridgman drawings, but I'm starting to understand.

Here are my Bridgman sketches from yesterday.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to luxaeterna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see all the studies, don't forget to occasionally whip out some regular drawings occasionally for fun. Good to test out what you've learned haha. Sometimes using the poses in studies with actual drawings built upon it helps to remember the ins and outs of said study (at least I felt it did doodling awhile back)

Definitely going the right route to getting better though.
    Oh yeah and keep up with the clean intentional lines. I used to scribble a ton (mainly in shading) awhile back and started instead just doing intentional lines without too much extra scratch and it feels a lot better

28. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay, my Bridgman Book arrived today.
    Somehow studying the drawings from bridgman is more difficult then from vilppu...
    but maybe I'm just more used to vilppu at the moment

I think your studies are coming along nicely! Just keep them coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't as hard-working as before, but still I did work

As per Nicolaides working plan (Schedule 1 B) I should have made 25 gesture drawings in 30 minutes, instead of that I did 92 in 35 minutes! Is that bad or good? I just couldn't manage to do them slower..

Then I made three contour drawings (also for the Nicolaides working plan), and drew more from Bridgman.

I feel like I have a lot to learn about shadowing.. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you working with 3 dimensional shapes in the latest Bridgman studies. Really use that even in your other drawings. No Gesture drawing, no figure without starting with constructing shapes. Thats very important

32. The Following User Says Thank You to JuliaMetzger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For someone that is just starting out I think your studies are pretty excellent

If you're looking for more books to learn from I can't possibly recommend Burne Hogarth's books any more.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Figure.../dp/0823015777

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Dynami...tt_at_ep_dpt_2

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Human-...tt_at_ep_dpt_4

These are a few that I'm constantly referencing. He emphasises & exaggerates forms of the body to make them far easier to understand.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Mooglesarelittle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the last two days I did a good amount of drawing, so here's a big update!

42 gesture drawings in 15 minutes for Nicolaides-schedule (no pictures..booring)
    Vilppu 3-dimensional forms, one page (also boring, no pictures)
    Page 1-3: Bridgman studies
    Page 4-9: 10 min studies (pixelovely)
    Page 10-13: 2 min studies (pixelovely)

(The attachment manager is making fun of me..so in two posts!)

With that, I tried to get out of my comfort zone only "copying" Bridgman.
    I still have a lot of problems "constructing" figures with 3-dimensional shapes, and of course with faces, feet and hands..meh! But I still had a lot of fun, esp. with the 2min-studies. I feel they will help me improve a LOT.

@Valyavande: True! I'll try to follow your advice, though I still have my problems with seeing the forms.

@Mooglesarelittle: Thank you! The books look interesting - I still have lot to work through atm (Bridgman and Nicolaides), but I think I'll get at least the one on the human head.

As always, critique is highly welcomed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Read last post for comments. Attachment manager does not like a lot of pictures in one post

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so much dedication! I would suggest you to stop doing the hair and faces on your croquis drawings, I'd suggest to just focus on the body The drawings where you used geometric shapes were really nice aswell, more of them! Third, I'd suggest you not to draw over your already done lines, this will, with time, make your lines much cleaner, and you will be much better on capturing the pose your'e studying.. anyways, keep up the hard work

>>>Sketchbook<<<
    "First ask yourself: What is the worst that can happen? Then prepare to accept it. Then proceed to improve on the worst.”

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Ogihara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up the hard work! when you get to 4 or 5 pages in your CA.org sketchbook... that's when you'll see the exciting improvement!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2