Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: luxaeterna's (total noob) sketchbook

Thanks

luxaeterna's (total noob) sketchbook

Hey guys,

I'm 25 years old and from germany. I love all different forms of art, but one of my biggest wishes always was to learn drawing, which I felt was..not for me.

I'm not for giving up, so I finally bought a Wacom Bamboo and a book (Betty Edwards "Drawing on the right side of the brain"), and already improved in the last week from what looked like drawn by a 6-year-old to..something better. (ATM I'm only drawing with pencil, not digitally.)
    (Edit: Kicked Betty Edwards off my desk, now practising with Bridgman and Nicolaides)

As I'm a total beginner, please don't laugh and bear with me. I'm highly ambitioned and willing to learn, so all feedback is highly welcome!

My absolute first attempts are really, really...BAD.

(Don't mind the attachment..just needed a nice picture, but I only have nice photos, no sketches..)
    Last edited by luxaeterna; May 28th, 2011 at 05:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I decided to leave it be with the Betty Edwards-book after I read a lot of critique on its methods.

I started reading Nicolaides - The Natural Way To Draw and my plan is to practise besides of that one hour per day. Let's see if I can keep up with that.

First my old sketches, and then my quick sketches for today (finally got a sketchbook..).
    Last edited by luxaeterna; May 28th, 2011 at 05:49 AM.

Thanks
    Nice to see a fellow artist take a plunge in the early stages as well. For first attempts, they could be a lot worse, trust me.

Critique: Image 1 - To me, the thumb seems to have a slightly unnatural bend to the left, maybe it's just me, but it's the only real glaring error I see in that one.

Image 4 (The batch of three hands) - The second hand has a few mistakes, but they're not too noticeable until you look a little closer. The thumb is pointing outward, away from the palm, which looks like an uncomfortable angle. The fingernail on the pinky doesn't line up 'just right'. I'd probably make more sense with a red-line.

So far a decent start with a few honest mistakes, just keep on truckin'. I better do my share of studies too.

Hopefully some of the regulars and more experienced bunch take a peek at this.
    Last edited by Enigmasflame; May 22nd, 2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: An afterthought
    "Winners never quit, quitters never win"- Vince Lombardi
    "When both sides are convinced they're going to lose, they're both right" - Murphy's Law
    "Good artists copy, great artists steal" - Picasso
    "An object in motion tends to stay in motion" - Isaac Newton
    Equipment: Pencil, paper, VisTablet, Painter X
    Goals:
    Invest 2,000+ hours into practice [110/2,000(?)]
    Successfully train my off-hand [Not Yet]
    Start participating at EnterVOID [Eventually]
    My SketchBook

Thanks
    Thanks very much Enigmasflame! I second what you say about the faults, I just have to practise.

So here we go..first, my sketches from yesterday (3 pages), and the contour sketches after Nicolaides (from observation and posemaniacs) which look pretty much like.. *ss.

I divided Nicolaides' 3 hours drawing lesson into three parts, so more to come today.

My Bridgman book should also arrive today :>

Thanks
    More from today, as the Bridgman-book arrived. The scans look way too harsh in color, gotta adjust that.

Thanks
    hey watsup.
    your hand studies and figures are pretty damn good for someone who's starting out.
    Good to know your dedicated, it certainly is a looonnnnnnnggggg fkn journey, but i think
    u will make it, dont lose hope The tunnel will get longer and longer, but one day u'll
    get to the end. and then theres another tunnel@!

im just talking crap. god shit, keep it up

Thanks
    Hi tronrobot

Thanks very much - the hand studies go pretty fast now, but the figures are way more complicated for me. Good that there are "over 1.000 drawings" in Bridgman's book to practise..whoah. I'm getting a lot of hope for myself out of the development I see in other sketchbooks. For me, the biggest impulse to follow this journey is the thought of creating everything I want on a piece of paper.

So, more studies will be coming today.

Thanks
    Somehow the scanned pictures look way crappier than the actual ones.

More Bridgman studies, on the first page I had a really hard time struggling with the pose on the right and ended up trying it seven times..

Thanks
    Beginners united!!!

Really nice hand studies. Keep the updates coming!

Und danke fürs vorbeischauen und motivieren in meinem Skizzenbuch!

Thanks
    Thanks Zipfelzeus!

More Bridgman studies from yesterday, this time not scanned but photographed.

First page: had a problem with the lower left study. The leg behind looks somehow wrong. And in the lower right study, the lower leg is wayyy to short..

Second page: in the upper left study, the leg behind looks also not quite right.

Third page: is the lower study correct? O.o

I've gotta say, I really like practising the Bridgman studies. And I like printed books, so I also bought the Nicolaides book. Too sad the Loomis books are so rare and expensive.. I hate reading eBooks

Thanks
    The studies are coming along nicely! I think you should try out charcoal when you're ready to dive into the rendering (shading) process. It really helped me learn faster to use a fuller range of values (and still is), because it goes much darker than graphite and faster. Just set up some still lifes to test it out and attend local figure drawing sessions while reading your Bridgman -- should help!
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Hey, thanks for your comment! (schreib dir mal in englisch, weil ich mich immer etwas ausgeschlossen fühle, wenn im Forum was in ner Sprache geschrieben wird, die ich nicht verstehe :3)

Yeah, I ordered the Bridgman book about two days ago, so it should arrive sometime next week.
    At the moment I'm really motivated to draw at least an hour every day. Cause I finally want to become really good ^^

I think your doing a great job with those studies, I especially like your handstudies!
    Keep it up!

Thanks
    @Deadlyhazard: Thanks! I'll give the charcoal a try soon. ATM I feel like I would mess up still lifes and "real" life drawing, but at some point I have to start.

@Ba5u: Now I got Bridgman and the Nicolaides-Book also arrived today, have you also got that? Yeah, I think 1 hour per day is the absolute minimum to improve soon. Thank you Besides all the great artists I feel like a 6yo with my drawing skills, but sketchbooks like the one from "MindCandyMan" are giving me sooo much hope. ^^

So, here are my Bridgman studies from yesterday.

Page one: the big guy doesn't look muscular, but FAT. Meh! And the one on the lower left doesn't look right to me, yet I can't exactly tell what's wrong.

Page two: I have a serious problem with lower legs. I had to redraw the ones on the lower study like..7 times and couldn't get it done better. What the hell do I do wrong?

Page three: Couldn't get the ones right which are crossed out. The balance is simply wrong. I'm gonna try that again. And again, some problems with the lower legs, hence the question marks..

Page four: Not quite happy with the two crooked (?) ones. What is wrong with them?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast