Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: I have problems with taking criticism.

Thanks

I have problems with taking criticism.

As a artist, I love my work. Even if one of the piece is crap. I love it.

If someone gives me a negative comment, I am more likely to tear somebody's face apart rather than ignoring or listening to their words.
    My work is very personal to me. Few things hit my red buttom harder than a insult to my work.

I don't want to name examples in my life. I know I have this problem and really have to deal with it to be a profressional artist. Or just an artist in the real world. Like AA, the first step is to admit I have a problem.

This is what I'm struggling with. This is more of a rant than anything else.
    Thanks for reading.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Try not to think of it as insults to your work but as a way to get better. They comment your work because you have potential and youre good enough for them to see how you can improove.
    Just think about it. Nothing in this world is perfect. Perfection does not exist, but it's a consept we humans like to stribe for. Even the most beautiful painting out there has its flaws, I'm sure of that. There will always be someone better than you and there will always be something to learn, but you can get far on that road none the less. You wont learn anything if you don't listen to people.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Medusa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It's not you

Hello

Not an uncommon problem at all, I've come across numerous artist's during ages past schooling and professional work who suffer from high degrees of this affliction.
    Here you are unable to divorce yourself from your work, any attack (as percieved by you)on it is a personal attack on you. You are going to need to learn to view your art as simply art when being reviewed. As if you were looking at the work of any artist, the art is not you or your's. Of course this is easier said than done, but it is something you'll need to deal with if art is to be your profession. Why you may ask, because the vast majority of these people I've dealt with in the past disappear rather quickly. Not the type most others care to be near to or to work with.

Mr. D

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr. D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,690 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Mr. D is right about the "emotional detachment" you need to learn and develop. Which doesn't mean you should care less of your art or have less pride for it, but see that it too can have flaws and you shouldn't allow those flaws to be there if you can fix them. It can be easier if you do art that you don't pour your soul into, something that personal work can be, but choose a more non-personal image to do (like... a square box or something) and ask critiques for that, and think "if I love my work, I want it to be the best I can do and also be good for others to look at".

If someone gives me a negative comment, I am more likely to tear somebody's face apart rather than ignoring or listening to their words.
    That's why internet is such a good thing. You can't tear someone's face and you don't really have to take it all at once, but take your time, chill out, read it again, see if there's anything that makes sense, chill out bit more, look at your art, the crit, and see if there's a point somewhere that you can use.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    If you're doing this for personal enjoyment keep it for personal enjoyment.

If you're trying to improve and you know people need to see your work to give you tips, you have to learn to cope with it.

If you're trying to do this as a profession, you're definitely going to need to learn how to cope with it.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm all about taking criticism, but I've been out landscaping all week, and I would happily punch in the face any of the wankers who come up - unsolicited - and comment on my painting. did I ask you to look? did I ask you to speak your mind? if you sit with a laptop writing in a café, do I lean over your shoulder and say 'you're no Shakespeare'?
    Luckily I'm too concentrated on my work to actually react, but it's like bloody mosquitoes buzzing in your ears.

</end rant>

Thanks
    It's important to be able to distinguish between criticism and people just giving you shit. The internet is a mixed bag that way which is why conceptart is a great place for an objective opinion.

Ask yourself, what flaws are they pointing out? Is it something conceptual? The lighting? The choice of colors? Or are they just saying they don't like it without any substantial explanation?

Also, where are you getting these criticisms from? Other artists? A teacher? Or just some jackass you know who likes the sound of his own voice?

Personally, I need objective criticism, or I would never excel. But I don't attach a lot of emotion to the actual process- just the concepts behind them. Maybe try to detach the two in your mind.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to M_Oreilly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,868 Times in 3,972 Posts
    You say you love even the crap pieces - that means you own that they have flaws. If it's crap what would you better next time? Critique yourself as if you'd never seen the work and then think if some of the words given to you were justified or not. Suck it up, move on and listen to that little voice in your head when you know they were right.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    It's something every creative person has to come to terms with, writer, musician, dancer, artist. Like Mr. D said you have to detach your ego from your work. Critique is about the work - not about you. Maybe this will help: On Critique.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 687 Posts
    Never show your work in public.

Keep it in a shrine in your house. This is said with NO sarcasm.

Producing something of a creative nature, by most ideas, are made for the public consumption, and if we've learned anything about the public, they are VERY fickle.

If this is your passion, own it. No unwritten rule says you have to share it with anyone beyond who you wish.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Well, ultimately you're on your own anyway. It's not like you can go running to the Internet or the art director every single time you have an assignment, it would take too long. If there isn't an inner voice that's picking your art apart mercilessly you're going to have to develop one and listen to it. It's not about listening or not listening to other people, it's not about your feelings, it's about not accepting crap.

You need standards and you need to live up to them. If you love everything you do then what incentive do you have to get any better? You can just poop out shit all day and be deliriously happy. It's when you step back and start saying "this is not good enough, I will not accept this," that's when you can start moving forward.

I think once you get over that hump it's a lot easier to listen to other people.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

21. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My husband calls this "chronic turd polishing". It's so much more freeing when you can just look at said "turds" and realize that no matter how much polish and shine they have, they're still just turds.

I'm still working on this myself.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to LibertineM For This Useful Post:

Thanks

critic

Quote Originally Posted by ronin356 View Post
    As a artist, I love my work. Even if one of the piece is crap. I love it.

My work is very personal to me. Few things hit my red buttom harder than a insult to my work.

I don't want to name examples in my life. I know I have this problem and really have to deal with it to be a profressional artist. Or just an artist in the real world. Like AA, the first step is to admit I have a problem.

This is what I'm struggling with. This is more of a rant than anything else.
    Thanks for reading.
    its the only way to improve here , we all believe that our creations are good, but this impression only belongs to the artist, for myself, gives me an aggressive feeling the next one will be on, not to mention theres a lot of talent here such as Jeff ,Dpaint my favourites

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast