Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    I keep slacking off, as usual.
    Today, I felt that haven't done any bad self-portraits recently, so I drew one.

Damn, things would get much, much, MUCH more better if I could attend life drawing sessions or at least if there was a teacher or a mentor overseeing my progress. But I have to deal with the fact that it isn't possible because I was born in the wrong country on the wrong side of the Atlantic Ocean.
    And I can't arrange anything like a life drawing class could provide by myself at home... Well, all that I can do is to watch how the rest of the people around here attend life drawing classes and get better, and dream about "what could have been... "
    Oh, I forgot - I could also continue drawing like I'm doing it now. Like it's going to make me better at anything besides redrawing photos and illustrations...
    Last edited by Guardian G.I.; May 8th, 2012 at 06:09 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey man, your pencils skills have come on through the past few pages, so i guess that must mean your doing something right.

I know how you feel about the life drawing situation. I attended some classes back when i was 16 or so, but i had no idea what i was doing or how to study. In fact, back then i had no access to resources like CA or the crimson daggers, my 'mentors' were more damaging than helpful. The internet has become the greatest and best resource, and with it you can get great amounts of reference and help from other people without the need for real life tuition or classes.
    Since i started my sketchbook, and actually seriously started trying to get beter, i have never been to a life drawing class. Although it is really helpful, it isnt necessary. It's just a means to an ends, a resource or tool to help with understanding.

It's really nateral to feel doubts and depressed when on the path to improvements too, its human instinct to feel this way, but its also pushing through those feelings that makes us stronger and more determined. Always look at whats positive about the situation, what options are open to you as apposed to whats negative, and whats holding you back. There are no excuses, only choices.

Aaaand ive gone and written an essay again lol. Just try to remember what is was that made you want to start drawing and practicing, and just enjoy yourself while improving. Embrace the challenge and kick it in the nuts! Look at your stuff and think "Is this where i want to be? No? Well what can i need to do to get?" And take it from there, one day at a time.

Keep pushin man, and i look forward to seeing more of your stuff soon

4. The Following User Says Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the essay, warburton!
    Yes, life drawing classes are not the only way to learn art. In order not to discourage myself needlessly any further, I need to stay the hell away from the Art Discussion forum and those American fine artists within it, such as JeffX99 or dpaint, for example. No matter how often these people climb around the bloody Grand Canyon every single day to do sketches or go to batshit-expensive ateliers or buy batshit-expensive art books and even more batshit-expensive art supplies and advertise them here - that should not discourage me.
    We're in the two different dimensions, those people climbing around canyons in the Uttermost West and me, across the ocean, trying to learn something the less traditional and more accessible way.

Some sketches.
    When I draw from life, I seem to make a lot less obvious proportion mistakes than when drawing from photos.

Guardian G.I.'s Sketchbook

P.S. Why is the attachment manager not working?

Thanks
    I was bored at school, so I drew a little self-portrait using my phone's screen as a mirror.
    I couldn't bring myself to draw anything when I got home, though.

Thanks
    Great sense of perspective! Just keep up the life drawing studies; maybe focus more on smoother and transitional values. I suggest doing some contour line drawings. I think it might help making your line work look more relaxed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wawlden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Frekkle: Thanks! Now, contour life drawing, how should I do it...?

Also, it's apparently 1 year since I've created my sketchbook.

Thanks

Thanks
    Contour life drawing is when you look at an object and draw it without looking at your paper. It's supposed to train you to have a sense of shape, and I suppose a sense of relative space as well. You can also do modified contour drawing where you draw the object without looking at it and stop to look down at the drawing, but while you're looking at what you've drawn, you can't add anything.
    (I like the figures in perspective studies, by the way c

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wawlden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian G.I. View Post
    I was bored at school, so I drew a little self-portrait using my phone's screen as a mirror.
    I couldn't bring myself to draw anything when I got home, though.
    Keep pushing dude, remember that when you 'feel' you can't draw anymore or don't have it in you anymore, you are simply making the choice not to carry on. Pushing through those times of 'i can't bring myself to draw anymore' are some of the most important times for learning and you'll become much beter for doing so.

Keep it up buddy

14. The Following User Says Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    no time for responding

Photos and shit.

I should work on smoother values later.

Thanks
    Here's all the scribbly stuff I've drawn over the past few days.
    I'm trying to do gestures from life (kinda).

Thanks
    I drew a random piece of junk lying around my table (a plastic cap) in Photoshop.
    I had to fight my wibbly-wobbly hands making any kind of precise movements impossible. I've also tried to color it (via the Color layer on top of the greyscale image).

Working with a tablet is very difficult, but it's nothing to the incredibly excruciating and frustrating thing that is traditional painting. I've read somewhere on CA that learning to paint is not difficult if you have a teacher nearby to guide you. Obviously the existence of such teachers is a feature exclusive to the US of A, so I'll just leave the process of learning to paint and winning to the folks rocking in the free world.

Thanks
    you've improved a lot. Keep working on it. I believe that you are gonna be even greater.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyrion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Zephyrion: Thank you!

I've tried to do a self-portrait in Photoshop. I've failed, but at least I've figured out how to use Lasso and Free Transform tools to fix proportional mistakes.

Thanks
    Some crap drawn in school, some photo gestures, and a vehicle from imagination.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Guardian G.I. For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast