Sketchbook: Guardian G.I.'s Sketchbook - Page 5

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I keep slacking off, as usual.
    Today, I felt that haven't done any bad self-portraits recently, so I drew one.

Damn, things would get much, much, MUCH more better if I could attend life drawing sessions or at least if there was a teacher or a mentor overseeing my progress. But I have to deal with the fact that it isn't possible because I was born in the wrong country on the wrong side of the Atlantic Ocean.
    And I can't arrange anything like a life drawing class could provide by myself at home... Well, all that I can do is to watch how the rest of the people around here attend life drawing classes and get better, and dream about "what could have been... "
    Oh, I forgot - I could also continue drawing like I'm doing it now. Like it's going to make me better at anything besides redrawing photos and illustrations...

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Guardian G.I.; May 8th, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
    Sketchbook

''The problem with quotes from the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity'' - Abraham Lincoln
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, your pencils skills have come on through the past few pages, so i guess that must mean your doing something right.

I know how you feel about the life drawing situation. I attended some classes back when i was 16 or so, but i had no idea what i was doing or how to study. In fact, back then i had no access to resources like CA or the crimson daggers, my 'mentors' were more damaging than helpful. The internet has become the greatest and best resource, and with it you can get great amounts of reference and help from other people without the need for real life tuition or classes.
    Since i started my sketchbook, and actually seriously started trying to get beter, i have never been to a life drawing class. Although it is really helpful, it isnt necessary. It's just a means to an ends, a resource or tool to help with understanding.

It's really nateral to feel doubts and depressed when on the path to improvements too, its human instinct to feel this way, but its also pushing through those feelings that makes us stronger and more determined. Always look at whats positive about the situation, what options are open to you as apposed to whats negative, and whats holding you back. There are no excuses, only choices.

Aaaand ive gone and written an essay again lol. Just try to remember what is was that made you want to start drawing and practicing, and just enjoy yourself while improving. Embrace the challenge and kick it in the nuts! Look at your stuff and think "Is this where i want to be? No? Well what can i need to do to get?" And take it from there, one day at a time.

Keep pushin man, and i look forward to seeing more of your stuff soon

4. The Following User Says Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the essay, warburton!
    Yes, life drawing classes are not the only way to learn art. In order not to discourage myself needlessly any further, I need to stay the hell away from the Art Discussion forum and those American fine artists within it, such as JeffX99 or dpaint, for example. No matter how often these people climb around the bloody Grand Canyon every single day to do sketches or go to batshit-expensive ateliers or buy batshit-expensive art books and even more batshit-expensive art supplies and advertise them here - that should not discourage me.
    We're in the two different dimensions, those people climbing around canyons in the Uttermost West and me, across the ocean, trying to learn something the less traditional and more accessible way.

Some sketches.
    When I draw from life, I seem to make a lot less obvious proportion mistakes than when drawing from photos.

Guardian G.I.'s Sketchbook

P.S. Why is the attachment manager not working?

Sketchbook

''The problem with quotes from the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity'' - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was bored at school, so I drew a little self-portrait using my phone's screen as a mirror.
    I couldn't bring myself to draw anything when I got home, though.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sense of perspective! Just keep up the life drawing studies; maybe focus more on smoother and transitional values. I suggest doing some contour line drawings. I think it might help making your line work look more relaxed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wawlden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Frekkle: Thanks! Now, contour life drawing, how should I do it...?

Also, it's apparently 1 year since I've created my sketchbook.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Contour life drawing is when you look at an object and draw it without looking at your paper. It's supposed to train you to have a sense of shape, and I suppose a sense of relative space as well. You can also do modified contour drawing where you draw the object without looking at it and stop to look down at the drawing, but while you're looking at what you've drawn, you can't add anything.
    (I like the figures in perspective studies, by the way c

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wawlden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian G.I. View Post
    I was bored at school, so I drew a little self-portrait using my phone's screen as a mirror.
    I couldn't bring myself to draw anything when I got home, though.
    Keep pushing dude, remember that when you 'feel' you can't draw anymore or don't have it in you anymore, you are simply making the choice not to carry on. Pushing through those times of 'i can't bring myself to draw anymore' are some of the most important times for learning and you'll become much beter for doing so.

Keep it up buddy

14. The Following User Says Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no time for responding

Photos and shit.

I should work on smoother values later.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's all the scribbly stuff I've drawn over the past few days.
    I'm trying to do gestures from life (kinda).

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I drew a random piece of junk lying around my table (a plastic cap) in Photoshop.
    I had to fight my wibbly-wobbly hands making any kind of precise movements impossible. I've also tried to color it (via the Color layer on top of the greyscale image).

Working with a tablet is very difficult, but it's nothing to the incredibly excruciating and frustrating thing that is traditional painting. I've read somewhere on CA that learning to paint is not difficult if you have a teacher nearby to guide you. Obviously the existence of such teachers is a feature exclusive to the US of A, so I'll just leave the process of learning to paint and winning to the folks rocking in the free world.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you've improved a lot. Keep working on it. I believe that you are gonna be even greater.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyrion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zephyrion: Thank you!

I've tried to do a self-portrait in Photoshop. I've failed, but at least I've figured out how to use Lasso and Free Transform tools to fix proportional mistakes.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some crap drawn in school, some photo gestures, and a vehicle from imagination.

Sketchbook

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Guardian G.I. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Be braver with contrast and don't use white background for your digital stuff. Light gray is better. The strokes of your gestures are quite hairy/messy/too many in numbers, well they won't be good after muuuuuuuuch practice but you may try to use fewer lines. Don't underestimate stickmen, they are hard enough to do well and they can be expressive gesture sketches. Or don't lift your pencil (I very rarely do that but it was fun to try).

24. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: Thank you for the advice, that's all I can say actually..

People from our class were playing volleyball, it was hot, and because of that, a few guys were playing shirtless. This was a perfect opportunity to do some studies, and I haven't wasted it.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've painted the view from my room's window in Photoshop.

...at least I've tried!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian G.I. View Post
    ...at least I've tried!
    It's very important to try to draw things, I learned to appreciate that. I'm lacking at it horribly.

I saw a very similar scene from my window a few years ago...

Let's see. I think it's usually a warning sign if your painting has no dark colors. Especially if there are trees involved. They should be more contrasted I think, especially if there's direct sunlight (I don't know if that was your intention or a clouded sky). But it's hard to imagine that the buildings are such high key too. Some darker values bound to happen.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like the virus problems doesn't affect the Sketchbook forum. I'll post some stuff, then.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it would really help if you really paid attention to the concept of "values"

I've noticed in a lot of your drawings you really go dark. I might suggest trying to be more conservative with your dark values and put a lot of thought of where to place your darks.

Squint your eyes and look at your subject, notice where the lightest and darkest part of your subjects are - focus on those and then fill in everything between.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to liquorbleu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    liquorbleu: Thank you, thank you, I'll keep this in mind.

I've stumbled on this art blog and got inspired to do some gestures. Unfortunately, I've forgotten that I've still haven't developed the "putting every single line right every single time you draw a line" skill, which is apparently well developed among people who do gesture drawing very well.

I guess they've been attending live drawing classes for decades or something. Oh well.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The batterie is quite wrong:

{Your ellipses and straight lines aren't good either but I don't feel I'm the one to talk. Once I had to draw a perfect moon slice. I spent 30 minutes on it and it surely wasn't perfect in the end. I got better with pencil at least though. It took very much time. I'm still bad with tablet pen.}

In the same update, the bottom right woman simply has no skull in the back. From this angle, it doesn't end at ear.

You wrote (and drew) funny things in the last update... Our inner crit can be a bitch, I know, so impatient but why would he not to be? At least mine. I should have know how a human looks like this far... But I'm not here to deeper the depression in this SB
    I never understood how others, even beginners are able to dry to draw a human figure, I never really grasped it, despite my anatomy studies. I don't care about others, humans are simply damn tough to draw. One needs a lot of serious effort to draw something that resembles a human with a valid gesture. Having nice lines alone easily takes years. But if you wish to learn to draw well, you should be tough and keep thumbling, struggling, running or whatever you are able to do at the moment.
    I don't think nice strokes requires life drawing at all. You overvalue that again, maybe it's not even fully serious on your part, whatever.
    Damn it's hard. So, I just wanted to say that figures are very hard for me as well, I get confused and produce weak lines by myself, I'm way better when I look at books or SBs that are full with FLOW. I mean where the intention is flow and gesture, who cares about detailed anatomy. I often copy the figures, then I try to do them by myself, change them... And even in my own ones tend to look way better than usual.
    Probably it doesn't have the same effect on everyone but I think it may help.
    There's the book Michael D. Mattesi: FORCE Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators, for example. Or anything by a cool animator, animation need flowy simple figures. There are blogs and SBs and whatnot. Sometimes I use the little blocky figures from an anime they have gesture even if their anatomy is extremely simplified, they are blocks with blocky limbs. I always find much easier to focus on just a few things instead of all the complexity in a human figure.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dumping the stuff I've done over the past two weeks, including sketches and one incredibly awful imagination picture.
    Besides the anatomy and the proportions, the biggest issue I face when I'm drawing people is that all the faces look the same. I need to learn how to exaggerate stuff.
    Also, bold pencils are not good for general shading.

P.S. shiNIN, maybe the clean lines don't need it but still, I'm not overvaluing life drawing (especially drawing from a model) in any way. Out of numerous badass artists out here and elsewhere, I've never seen anyone who haven't done it.
    Oh, and I've spotted the bad ellipses on the battery after I've posted it, but still thanks for pointing it out.

Last edited by Guardian G.I.; July 20th, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
    Sketchbook

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Guardian G.I. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some ultrashitty unfinished "photo study" (or should I say, redrawn photo?) I gave up on rendering.
    It appears that I refuse to accept the fact that even if I continue drawing for 10, 20, 50 or even 100 years I will never be as good as all the good artists out here and elsewhere, with their 5000$ ateilers and 500000$ art schools and shit.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not every great artist in the past and present were/are rich... I think the artist itself, their state of mind, resolve, approach, whatever is what really counts, not circumstances though the latter can help a lot if the little artist doesn't have the passion to fight against everything in their way and to win... Humans are really good to do bad things for themselves, I experienced it and read in "The artist's way" book too.
    And about real life studies. I don't think I ever said it's unneeded but at the level where we both are, one can improve a lot without that. We can't even draw objects properly... so a good human drawing is impossible... Maybe I should stop thinking, I'm not in my most positive period either... And I can relate way too much.

Your last gal should have fuller thighs and no sausage shins (too big and not properly shaped) but I wouldn't even bother with anatomy now, there are more basic things than that. Showing the gesture with flowy lines, for example. Even when it's a copied/refd stuff, it's better to sketch the gesture and check if it looks good before playing with different body parts, one can lose control over the whole thing too easily, I always do that (I mean, losing control). Not like I know how you approached it.

If a human figure or even a head in its complexity confuses you or you don't feel you go somewhere, what about some specific study? Something from a book that feels appealing (well I like studies like that, some people don't)? Just a thought.

Good luck, whatever you will do.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, ShiNIN.

Shitty self-portrait number 16 (?).
    No comments.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm trying to find out how to draw constant tones with pencil (like here, for example)

Something goes wrong all the time. Possible causes: pencil grade, pencil control, paper. I think it's pencil control (or lack thereof) that makes things bad.

P.S. Judging by the amount of stupid, embarrassing whining in here, when (hopefully) I get a little bit better (in a year or two), I'm going to start a new thread and dump this one.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my, that pic you linked... Wow. It seems it's not a small one and the artist used hatching. Hatching and pencils with different hardness, I'm quite sure of it. You first use a hard one then softer and softer in the places where darker values are needed. Well it's the theory, I often can't use a softer one on the top of my harder marks, he graphit comes off for some reason even if I don't fill the paper totally with the hard one... I'm not so great with such things, I almost always use only lines traditionally and when I use hatching, it's using a thin marker. Not easy if you ask me. It's hard to focus on everything and even the hatching direction and density...

I'm a bit more confortable with heads. Your last self portrait seems to be too wide for its height (the human head is wider from this angle but still), the mouth is almost halfway between the nose and the chin, it should be closer to the nose (1:2 is the "rule", it's quite typical, some faces have it a bit differently).
    And you should draw the eyes extra carefully. We look at the eyes of others, eyes are expressive, they are the most important in the whole portrait in my opinion. They should be definite and well drawn. You can get away if the ears are a bit vague, for example, but the eyes should be fine. Not like it's easy.
    The lighting is strange, no way the light so suddenly fades away horizontally under normal circumstances (maybe a light emitted from a vertical rod can do something similar, I don't knw).
    I wouldn't call it shitty, by the way, you put effort even into the hair and ear, I saw many portraits where they were half-assed few seconds scribbles. Just keep drawing heads, you will need many till they will be really good. I'm around a few ten thousands (most of them mere line sketches) and I'm no good but I never got serious enough.
    I talk too much about myself, sorry.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, it's actually hatching?
    My sincere gratitude goes to you, shiNIN, now I know what should I work on.

Sketchbook

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5