Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    It doesn't matter, my opinion was based on the distance between the ear and the pit of the neck. It doesn't very wrong, just slightly (and there's difference between people as well). The collarbones are very visible, they helped.

I guess most of us don't have a skeleton. I'd love to have one, maybe one day I will. I don't even have a skull! I never found a good one at a price I'm willing to pay. I have a wonderful decorated bronze skull though, I love it. And I better not talk about my ideas involving real human skulls... mmm...
    By the way, most skulls on ebay are wrong. Not realistic. Especially the teeth, they are kinda uniform. Really fine skulls are usually damn expensive And white. I don't want bright white skulls, that's so wrong.

Erm, sorry.
    Oh, bones. Good, just do it zillion more times I don't think there's another way.
    What I dislike the most... erm, it sounds wrong, I don't have much problem with your drawing in general, it's just not clear enough (your strokes) but that comes with practice. There are two things I consider wrong:
    1. the ribcage's shape. Our ribcage widens much more quickly, yours have an almost triangle shape, that would be unpleasant in reality.
    1b. Probably because of the ribcage problem, the scapulae became HUGE (they aren't fully drawn but I know their shape so...).
    2. maybe just because I've drawn arms all day yesterday but the humerus isn't like that.

Bones usually have a tricky shape but it's much easier to learn if you know where muscles begin, insert, where their tendons go... A nice example is the intertubercular groove of the humerus and a tendon of biceps which fits there nicely.
    I LOVE anatomy but I must say it's damn hard.
    I couldn't draw muscles if I wouldn't have some idea where they start, end, what's their relationship with other muscles. If we learn about it all, drawing a twisted arm (which is one of the most confusing things to me) will be much easier (well, I'd say, become possible).

Tell me if I annoy you too much!
    I love Rammstein and wouldn't like to live in the US, by the way. I just envy them for Yosemite, Death valley, nice rock formations in Utah and so on. There are cool enviros there.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey, I can see the progress, keep going, don't worry to much, it should be pleasure for you...
    I have some nice motivation videos for you...
    http://youtu.be/hqZAxLqJkzA
    http://vimeo.com/31956969

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jablar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    shiNIN: Learning all the insertions and actions of the muscles? Damn it, I've looked through anatomy atlases - there's so many information that I simply can't memorize it all, unless I would only memorize, memorize, memorize these insertions all day, which obviously I cannot do.
    And no, you don't annoy me by replying here, I'm actually wondering why are you not annoyed by having to reply to all of my whining.

jablar: These videos alone can't solve my problems, but thanks anyway.

Sketches from 26th and 28th April that I haven't posted due to laziness.
    First one is my usual boredom at school (shouldn't have tried to render anything).
    The second ones were drawn when I, along with our school's delegation, was participating in a contest of reports/theatrical performances/whatever commemorating the Victory Day (over Nazi Germany, celebrated on 9th of May). I don't remember how the contest was actually named, but it was pretty much unremarkable. The only thing I've noted was a completely anachronistic sight of WW2-era Soviet soldiers played by some guys with 21st-century long hair.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Guardian G.I.; May 1st, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
    Sketchbook

''The problem with quotes from the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity'' - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks
    I keep slacking off, as usual.
    Today, I felt that haven't done any bad self-portraits recently, so I drew one.

Damn, things would get much, much, MUCH more better if I could attend life drawing sessions or at least if there was a teacher or a mentor overseeing my progress. But I have to deal with the fact that it isn't possible because I was born in the wrong country on the wrong side of the Atlantic Ocean.
    And I can't arrange anything like a life drawing class could provide by myself at home... Well, all that I can do is to watch how the rest of the people around here attend life drawing classes and get better, and dream about "what could have been... "
    Oh, I forgot - I could also continue drawing like I'm doing it now. Like it's going to make me better at anything besides redrawing photos and illustrations...

Last edited by Guardian G.I.; May 8th, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
    Sketchbook

''The problem with quotes from the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity'' - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks
    Hey man, your pencils skills have come on through the past few pages, so i guess that must mean your doing something right.

I know how you feel about the life drawing situation. I attended some classes back when i was 16 or so, but i had no idea what i was doing or how to study. In fact, back then i had no access to resources like CA or the crimson daggers, my 'mentors' were more damaging than helpful. The internet has become the greatest and best resource, and with it you can get great amounts of reference and help from other people without the need for real life tuition or classes.
    Since i started my sketchbook, and actually seriously started trying to get beter, i have never been to a life drawing class. Although it is really helpful, it isnt necessary. It's just a means to an ends, a resource or tool to help with understanding.

It's really nateral to feel doubts and depressed when on the path to improvements too, its human instinct to feel this way, but its also pushing through those feelings that makes us stronger and more determined. Always look at whats positive about the situation, what options are open to you as apposed to whats negative, and whats holding you back. There are no excuses, only choices.

Aaaand ive gone and written an essay again lol. Just try to remember what is was that made you want to start drawing and practicing, and just enjoy yourself while improving. Embrace the challenge and kick it in the nuts! Look at your stuff and think "Is this where i want to be? No? Well what can i need to do to get?" And take it from there, one day at a time.

Keep pushin man, and i look forward to seeing more of your stuff soon

9. The Following User Says Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the essay, warburton!
    Yes, life drawing classes are not the only way to learn art. In order not to discourage myself needlessly any further, I need to stay the hell away from the Art Discussion forum and those American fine artists within it, such as JeffX99 or dpaint, for example. No matter how often these people climb around the bloody Grand Canyon every single day to do sketches or go to batshit-expensive ateliers or buy batshit-expensive art books and even more batshit-expensive art supplies and advertise them here - that should not discourage me.
    We're in the two different dimensions, those people climbing around canyons in the Uttermost West and me, across the ocean, trying to learn something the less traditional and more accessible way.

Some sketches.
    When I draw from life, I seem to make a lot less obvious proportion mistakes than when drawing from photos.

Guardian G.I.'s Sketchbook

P.S. Why is the attachment manager not working?

Sketchbook

Thanks
    I was bored at school, so I drew a little self-portrait using my phone's screen as a mirror.
    I couldn't bring myself to draw anything when I got home, though.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Great sense of perspective! Just keep up the life drawing studies; maybe focus more on smoother and transitional values. I suggest doing some contour line drawings. I think it might help making your line work look more relaxed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wawlden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Frekkle: Thanks! Now, contour life drawing, how should I do it...?

Also, it's apparently 1 year since I've created my sketchbook.

Sketchbook

Thanks

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Contour life drawing is when you look at an object and draw it without looking at your paper. It's supposed to train you to have a sense of shape, and I suppose a sense of relative space as well. You can also do modified contour drawing where you draw the object without looking at it and stop to look down at the drawing, but while you're looking at what you've drawn, you can't add anything.
    (I like the figures in perspective studies, by the way c

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wawlden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian G.I. View Post
    I was bored at school, so I drew a little self-portrait using my phone's screen as a mirror.
    I couldn't bring myself to draw anything when I got home, though.
    Keep pushing dude, remember that when you 'feel' you can't draw anymore or don't have it in you anymore, you are simply making the choice not to carry on. Pushing through those times of 'i can't bring myself to draw anymore' are some of the most important times for learning and you'll become much beter for doing so.

Keep it up buddy

19. The Following User Says Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    no time for responding

Photos and shit.

I should work on smoother values later.

Sketchbook

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2