Sketchbook: Guardian G.I.'s Sketchbook: Digging to China with a teaspoon - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some scribbly sketches.

I've tried practicing with my tablet. Got terrible nervous breakdowns every 5 minutes, stopped.
    Maybe I'll manage to learn something someday... Right now every single time (yeah, it's true) I try to do something with it, I want to break the tablet, and throw the remains towards the Atlantic Ocean.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Guardian G.I.; February 23rd, 2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: I sound too much like a whiny asshole. Fixed it.
    Sketchbook

''The problem with quotes from the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity'' - Abraham Lincoln
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The concept of blending colors with hard brushes in Photoshop is something my mind can't comprehend right now.
    Also, I can't draw straight lines without using the Shift key. As well as ellipses.
    Looks like the guy who told me months ago to throw the tablet away and learn only traditional art was right after all. But, you all have to start somewhere...

P.S. Note to self: stop whining already, and don't pity yourself over not being born in the United States (you wouldn't probably have enough money to apply in an American art school anyway, so it doesn't make any difference).

Last edited by Guardian G.I.; February 23rd, 2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessecary whining.
    Sketchbook

''The problem with quotes from the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity'' - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick anatomy study of the legs.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry too much about missing out on American art schools. Some of them might be decent, but a lot of people who go end up wishing they'd saved their money, from what I hear (though I've never actually been inside one).

Look at Michael Komarck and Noxizmad; both badasses, and both self-taught. You don't need art school to reach the top of the game.

That value exercise (the cylinder) is moving in the right direction. For your lightest value, I'd just use white, and save it for your highlights. And your darkest value probably shouldn't be the cast shadow value in that setup - save your darkest value for your accents and areas of ambient occlusion (places where light can't get to at all).

A quick illustration of what I mean:

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian G.I. View Post
    The concept of blending colors with hard brushes in Photoshop is something my mind can't comprehend right now.
    Don't stress over it; it's practically impossible. In the cylinder above, I blended using the smudge tool, a soft brush, and a scattered texture brush to create a broken color effect for optical mixing.

That's a lesson it took me a long time to learn - use your tools; don't fight them. A lot of digital artists especially struggle with this, I think. Maybe we feel like we're cheating, so we try to create purity in our work by making things more difficult, but all it ever gets you is a headache.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jcpahl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jcpahl: Well, thanks for the good advice again! That was really unexpected.

Another cylinder.
    I need to try painting something more spherical next time, presumably from life.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An egg. The edges are absolutely screwed.

The biggest problem with all those motivational sketchbooks around here (relating to me) is that all those people were much more better at drawing and painting when they had started their sketchbooks than me right now. This is very demotivating - I need to draw for 2 or 3 years to be able to draw like those people when they were starting out, and another 6-8 years (if not decades) to reach their current level.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The biggest problem with all those motivational sketchbooks around here (relating to me) is that all those people were much more better at drawing and painting when they had started their sketchbooks than me right now. [
    Aren't you 16? I wish I had got started at 16. You're ahead of the game, believe it or not.

For practicing rendering spheres, I'd use the marquee tool to make a circular selection and just paint inside that, and then worry about softening up the outside edges afterwards.

Here's an example. I made an ovoid selection on a new layer with the elliptical marquee tool and painted in the basic values with the default soft airbrush (size jitter off, opacity set to pressure, and turning the flow down manually when I needed subtlety). Then I dropped the selection and used the blur tool around the shadow edges to soften them, and painted in some textures with some scatter brushes and the smudge tool. I actually got a little carried away with that, which is why it's sort of messy.

Then I added another layer underneath that layer, made another elliptical selection, and painted in the cast shadow, then dropped that selection and made a gradient mask to apply a graduated gaussian blur to blur the edges evenly as the shadow moved away from the egg.

Obviously, this is a very quick and dirty example, and I'm sure the perspective is off, and some of the edges are wrong, but it's just an example of using the tools Photoshop gives you to paint a matte object.

If I'm annoying you shitting up your thread with these pictures, let me know and I'll take them down.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jcpahl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man good progress so far! Keep at those value studies and remember when you are sketching try to make more bold lines and not so much scratchy stuff. Then once you have the basic shape and contours down then correct it and proceed to render it. Great work though so far. I'm learning too so take my advice with a grain of salt. I really like your self portraits too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jcpahl: Thanks for another good tutorial!
    You are not "shitting" my thread in any way with your pictures, don't worry about that!
    000: Thanks a lot! Never thought that anyone would like my self-portraits.
    I hope to get rid of those scratchy lines when I'll get more practice.

An unfinished sketch of our class's Russian teacher (the same person as in post #77), and a copy of jcpahl's sphere.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice egg. Here's a painting tip from none other than John Singer Sargent (iirc): use the biggest brush possible for any given task. Your egg looks like you rendered it with smaller brushes, which is making it look a little patchy; always using the biggest brush possible will give you better stroke economy.

Have you seen PrometheusANJ's art tutorial? He hits on this, and a lot of other painting fundamentals.

Your pencils are progressing, but one thing I'd still recommend is focusing on the lines 100x more than the rendering. That's about how much more important they are.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jcpahl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jcpahl: Thanks for the tip. I do have that PSG Art tutorial in my bookmarks, completely forgotten.
    And yeah, the lines, from what I see, the reason I tend to scribble is because I can't draw a single bold non-scratchy line without veering away because of lack of experience in pencil control. I have extreme difficulties drawing ellipses because of the same problem.

I don't have anything notable done in pencil right now.
    I'm still trying to get accustomed to drawing with a stylus. Still trying to figure out drawing straight lines without using the Shift key (most professional concept artists, AFAIK and have seen in numerous demonstration videos, can draw perfect straight lines and ellipses freehand).
    Also, I need to do some perspective studies next time.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most of the day at school was spent at a school science conference. While the Best and Brightest of our school were telling the administration their reports on extraterrestrial life, fertilizers, power saving, fractals and development of first person shooters in Microsoft XNA, I was busy sketching.
    The vehicles are drawn from imagination. The rest is drawn from life.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't drawn anything notable recently, there's only one page of life drawings and my another try at designing vehicles.
    I'm not one of these 5 star ultra-mega-super-duper talented artists who post at least one good image daily. Most of the sketches I draw every day are too bad and incomplete to be put here.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life drawings again.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ditto.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Portrait sketches.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, look - I've sketched an imaginary helicopter.
    Why do I keep imitating concept artists? I'll never work as a concept artist anyway. I should draw from life instead, that'll be more useful instead of trying be someone that I'll never be.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Neck study from Bridgman's "Guide to Drawing from Life" and averagely ultrashitty notebook sketches.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I wasn't in your SB for a while... I'm much lazier in visiting sbs than before but at least I try to draw myself now.
    Your heads are better than before. Especially the right top one in the last image, it has character and the strokes seem more carefree, quick, nicer than usual. The mouth is big but it adds character
    The left one is much weaker, it lacks chin and the arm bends too low.

Heads are damn difficult to draw, they usually drive me nuts... Draw easier stuff as well They do good to me and I can focus on things I can't really when I struggle with anatomy and subtleties in faces... But you know better what floats your boat, we people are very different.
    I just wrote my opinions, thoughts, I can't actually help you at the moment

24. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: Thanks for critique on those notebook sketches.
    The reason these are so bad in the anatomy department is because all of these sketches were done (and usually are done) in a very frantic manner - people move and I can't capture the pose within the small time... All of these problems can be avoided if I'm drawing a posed model, but, it appears that I'm not going to study from any posed models in the upcoming millennia.

Right now I do believe that because of my location and some other factors it is impossible for me to achieve anything in art and reach the level of an average artist around here. Drawing from life as I do (frantically drawing my classmates and teachers of our school) doesn't do horseshit (without anatomy studies combined with figure drawing from a model it is completely worthless), and most of the things self-taught people on CA (such as MindCandyMan) have been doing are not applicable to me, for example, the above mentioned MindCandyMan have been doing cast drawings, and I can't buy those, because these things are not sold here, and getting them from Amazon or some other online shop is impossible - PayPal is not working in Belarus (and has never been working) because of American trade sanctions against our country. And it goes on, and on, and on...
    I don't believe that self-taught professionals such as Michael Komarck or Brad Rigney have got their skills by doing anything that I do (redrawing photos). They must have attended live drawing classes or bought those skull casts and studied them, or did some other exercises, but none of that is available to me. Looks like my chances at reaching anything are equal to zero. Sad, but true.

Redrawn photos.

Last edited by Guardian G.I.; April 22nd, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like my chances at reaching anything are equal to zero. Sad, but true.
    Nonono, bad thinking, stop it!
    Well I actually can't talk about such things because I didn't reach anything in figure drawing (well I have a lot of knowledge I can't show and a lil bit flow after years) but there are critics who can't do what they tear apart
    At this point, I'm kinda sure you can learn something from photos and books as well... And even if you can't study living people as much as you like, you still see them and it makes your knowledge deeper, at least it would be logical
    And you always have your own body as well.
    You can improve basic skills that has nothing to do with anatomy but needed for human drawing.
    There's so much you can do now and maybe later you will be able to have models or something. I have a willing boyfriend - too bad his patience is minimal and he won't pose naked in winter but still, I'm lucky to have him Real 3d stuff is the best. I have plasticide spheres and cylinders too and a wooden mannikin. It's good to draw simple objects where you can focus on a single thing, for example, how light works, without worrying zillion other things a humanoid form has (anatomy, texture, complicated coloring...).

27. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by shiNIN View Post
    At this point, I'm kinda sure you can learn something from photos and books as well... And even if you can't study living people as much as you like, you still see them and it makes your knowledge deeper, at least it would be logical
    All tutorials written by professional artists state that studying from photos is bad, and I won't solve all my problems by blindly redrawing illustrations from books.
    You know, almost all of the methods that self-taught artists use on CA and elsewhere are not available to me. These guys didn't achieve their skills by redrawing photos/books for 5/10/15/20 years, they did studies from live models, they did studies from casts, they did a lot of things I can't do because these things are not available in my country. Because of that, the road the self-taught artists used is blocked to me. Maybe I'll succeed in some other field, but still, I can't follow in the footsteps of all of these CA's "motivational" people. If I was born in the First World country, I would be able to buy the materials these people used and at least imitate their actions, but I was born in Belarus, and this barricades me from doing that.
    And you always have your own body as well.
    I have a physical complexion of a Nazi death camp prisoner. Trying to study your muscles when you don't have developed musculature is not going to do anything.
    Real 3d stuff is the best. I have plasticide spheres and cylinders too and a wooden mannikin. It's good to draw simple objects where you can focus on a single thing, for example, how light works, without worrying zillion other things a humanoid form has (anatomy, texture, complicated coloring...).
    Now that you've mentioned it, would you sent me some of those spheres and cylinders by mail? They don't sell these things here, and PayPal is still not going to work here in the foreseeable future, so you would help me a lot!

Some quick gestures to keep it relevant.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sigh. I'm very tired right now but if you want to argue with me, you picked the wrong opponent But I don't think talking without some chance of persuasion would do good any of us... Well maybe I got better with words and expressing myself, who knows?

I never heard anything about Belarus, despite it being so close... Can things be so different there? Keep making excuses and I buy some cast for you and ride all the way there to give it to you (If you lived in Albania, I'd be more excited, though. I always wanted to visit that country. We learned about European country a lot and there were "no data" about Albania. So I got curious I didn't learn about Belarus because I was a schoolkid in the era of Soviet Union).

My base objects I made myself. So they aren't perfect but neither reality if that Almost perfect balls or cylinders aren't hard to find in the house.
    Painting onions and eggs are useful too. They are simple but have a rounded form, just like several human parts.

I don't care what others say. There are useful tips and even rules you better follow but the main thing you do what you can. You are very far from saying rightfully you can't improve because you don't have the tools to do so. You have more than you think and you can learn more through them you think, I think

Don't make excuses. No matter how your body is like, if you have normal proportions and 4 limbs, it's cool, you can use that I don't see my muscles either because I'm a girl and I have more fat than ideal so my forms are too smooth. My boyfriend isn't a muscular one either. I use bodybuilder photos but we need to look at real human bodies in 3d. The human body isn't just muscles and muscle information isn't just in ripped muscles, you now. If you don't have excess fat, that helps a lot. You can see where are your bones, tendons and muscles better. But even I can see my proportions, I have a 3d form, light does its job on me... Seriously, there are so much for you to learn.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=shiNIN;3440389]
    I never heard anything about Belarus, despite it being so close... Can things be so different there?/QUOTE]
    Yes, things are different here, comparing to the EU, in all respects. It's a long story, and I'm rather short on time, though.

Don't make excuses. No matter how your body is like, if you have normal proportions and 4 limbs, it's cool, you can use that I don't see my muscles either because I'm a girl and I have more fat than ideal so my forms are too smooth. My boyfriend isn't a muscular one either. I use bodybuilder photos but we need to look at real human bodies in 3d. The human body isn't just muscles and muscle information isn't just in ripped muscles, you now. If you don't have excess fat, that helps a lot. You can see where are your bones, tendons and muscles better. But even I can see my proportions, I have a 3d form, light does its job on me... Seriously, there are so much for you to learn.
    Yeah, that's right.

So, I've tried studying myself. Maybe that'll prove useful for studying the bony body parts, but not for muscle studies - I can't see any of those damn muscles, especially in the torso.
    (on a completely unrelated note: my efforts to fix this by going to the gym have not given any effect because of my extremely poor health - I tend to catch a cold every 3-4 weeks, so when it occurs, I stop (in order to not worsen that illness) and lose all progress I've made before. Then I start again, catch the same damn cold, stop, repeat)

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Poor you I have good genes and a good health. I never catch a cold these years, infection isn't understandable for me and if I'd get cancer or aids, I'd heal I'm sure. I have a hospital and doctor phobia though, I'd get sick if I would have anything with them.
    Do you eat properly I wonder? Food has a huge impact on our health, they are the material to heal and built our own body. It's so wrong to have a fragile body you can't do about it! I would have NO energy and mood to draw anything if I'd be sick a lot.

I spent a lot of time searching for skinny people photos (they didn't help much) and creating a too ugly redrawing. It's hard to criticize it with words. But I will try.

Your drawing has a lot of assymmetry. Or angle problems... The neck and head seem to lean to the right (our right), the eyes aren't on the same level.
    The collarbone bump should be farther from the neck. Where the collarbone ends horizontally, there begins the humerus... Typical beginner flaw making a gap between the torso and the arm but if you place the scapulae on the ribcage and put the humerus in the socket, it's easier. Always think about the bones underneath, they help a lot. It's an "easy" front viewed body and still, so many things can go wrong.
    The neck is a bit long. It's another typical beginner mistake and understandable but the neck is tricky, it ends much higher on the back.

I use cranium measurements, I find that helpful and more logical and realistic than measuring with heads. Too bad I have no links for that

I'd love to be more help

33. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

35. The Following User Says Thank You to cricketts801 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: Critique noted. My neck does appear a bit long in real life, because of the underdeveloped trapezius muscle.

cricketts801: Well, umh, thanks!

I've wasted all of my free time today, so the only thing I've done is this quick, rough, mostly wrong study of the torso (from an anatomic atlas by Joseph Sheppard).
    I've also briefly looked through Robert Beverly Hale's "Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters" - it is a good book with very good information, asides from some really unusable advice.
    Buying a full collection of human bones because it's the only true way of learning the skeleton? Easy peasy, because we all live in America (Amerika, Amerika!!), where such things are sold in every art material shop at every corner!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It doesn't matter, my opinion was based on the distance between the ear and the pit of the neck. It doesn't very wrong, just slightly (and there's difference between people as well). The collarbones are very visible, they helped.

I guess most of us don't have a skeleton. I'd love to have one, maybe one day I will. I don't even have a skull! I never found a good one at a price I'm willing to pay. I have a wonderful decorated bronze skull though, I love it. And I better not talk about my ideas involving real human skulls... mmm...
    By the way, most skulls on ebay are wrong. Not realistic. Especially the teeth, they are kinda uniform. Really fine skulls are usually damn expensive And white. I don't want bright white skulls, that's so wrong.

Erm, sorry.
    Oh, bones. Good, just do it zillion more times I don't think there's another way.
    What I dislike the most... erm, it sounds wrong, I don't have much problem with your drawing in general, it's just not clear enough (your strokes) but that comes with practice. There are two things I consider wrong:
    1. the ribcage's shape. Our ribcage widens much more quickly, yours have an almost triangle shape, that would be unpleasant in reality.
    1b. Probably because of the ribcage problem, the scapulae became HUGE (they aren't fully drawn but I know their shape so...).
    2. maybe just because I've drawn arms all day yesterday but the humerus isn't like that.

Bones usually have a tricky shape but it's much easier to learn if you know where muscles begin, insert, where their tendons go... A nice example is the intertubercular groove of the humerus and a tendon of biceps which fits there nicely.
    I LOVE anatomy but I must say it's damn hard.
    I couldn't draw muscles if I wouldn't have some idea where they start, end, what's their relationship with other muscles. If we learn about it all, drawing a twisted arm (which is one of the most confusing things to me) will be much easier (well, I'd say, become possible).

Tell me if I annoy you too much!
    I love Rammstein and wouldn't like to live in the US, by the way. I just envy them for Yosemite, Death valley, nice rock formations in Utah and so on. There are cool enviros there.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, I can see the progress, keep going, don't worry to much, it should be pleasure for you...
    I have some nice motivation videos for you...
    http://youtu.be/hqZAxLqJkzA
    http://vimeo.com/31956969

40. The Following User Says Thank You to jablar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: Learning all the insertions and actions of the muscles? Damn it, I've looked through anatomy atlases - there's so many information that I simply can't memorize it all, unless I would only memorize, memorize, memorize these insertions all day, which obviously I cannot do.
    And no, you don't annoy me by replying here, I'm actually wondering why are you not annoyed by having to reply to all of my whining.

jablar: These videos alone can't solve my problems, but thanks anyway.

Sketches from 26th and 28th April that I haven't posted due to laziness.
    First one is my usual boredom at school (shouldn't have tried to render anything).
    The second ones were drawn when I, along with our school's delegation, was participating in a contest of reports/theatrical performances/whatever commemorating the Victory Day (over Nazi Germany, celebrated on 9th of May). I don't remember how the contest was actually named, but it was pretty much unremarkable. The only thing I've noted was a completely anachronistic sight of WW2-era Soviet soldiers played by some guys with 21st-century long hair.

Last edited by Guardian G.I.; May 1st, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
    Sketchbook

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 18