Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts

Icon If I made a new forum for Traditional Supplies and Equipment?

I just wanted to ask if our CA patrons would be opposed to having a forum where one can talk shop about traditional supplies and equipment?

The next question where is the best place to have this forum?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,547 Posts
    I think it would be valuable...but one of those less active forums where you post a link to a specific thread kind of thing. But I'm sure many people would share their equipment, setups, etc. which could be very valuable to people interested in traditional mediums and approaches.

As far as where? IDK - Art Discussion seems likely? Or if a level above then whatever category Art Discussion is under?
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Im not really aware of the upsides and downsides to adding subforums, so i'm coming from a bit of a naive standpoint. But I feel like a lot of the subforums are already pretty spread out in terms of active viewers/posters as it is.

Now i'm kind of wandering outside of the question in the original post, but i thought i'd just throw this out there.
    The entertainment and games forum is a good example of what i mean. I love talking about games but have to go to other sites to talk about them cause there is minimal traffic to the entertainment subsection of the lounge, and i was actually relieved to see someone posted something about a game in the lounge cause it's a game im interested in and it hasn't been moved to the subforum yet, thus theres still a good discussion going on about it. If that same post was in the entertainment forums, over the past week there'd of probably been 2 posts in it, so why bother to even post in it?

In a nutshell, i'm not aware of the advantages and disadvantages of subforums like that other than things being more organized, but i'd rather trade a lounge full of more random stuff where questions get answered in a matter of days, than a bunch of subforums that get answers over the course of weeks.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    ARtZealot,

No I can agree with how the forums are spread out. There's a lot of information that seems to have crossed over to multiple forums or gets lost because people just stick to the Art Discussion/Lounge - when it comes to information about other things. (This is besides the crits and skechbooks).

I also hate when the forum gets too long - scroll. That's why I was asking because a lot of times there's stuff put in the Art Discussion that becomes:

1. Lounge 2
    2. Too afraid to post up my art for crits but ask vague questions and expect good answers forum
    3. Too lazy to post in the other related forums about photoshop/painter/wacom/Xprogram so I'll drop it there forum.
    4. Too lazy to look at the other forums in general so I'll post it there forum

Just wanted to see if that forum would help because it does seem like traditional art supplies don't have a forum but digital does.

Thanks
    I agree with ArtZealot about cutting things up too fine - which is why I mentioned it would probably be one of those kinds of sub-forume you link people to when they have a question somewhere else.

I suggested to Jason a couple weeks ago maybe a forum on "Fundamentals" - maybe instead it could be "Traditional Media, Approach and Fundamentals"...IDK...just maybe fold it into one thing?
    Last edited by JeffX99; May 19th, 2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: D'oh! I have a friend named John Manley so screwed up Jason's name...

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    I would say a create a forum dedicated for only traditional art (discussion, tips, etc...) then have a sub-forum with the supply, equipment, stores, coupons, and so on. However, the chances of this forum been successful is pretty low.
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    I don't think it's necessary by any means, but it wouldn't hurt anything either. Could make things either if somebody is looking for resources.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    If anything, I'd prefer consolidation to more splitting.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    If anything, I'd prefer consolidation to more splitting.
    Which forums would you think need consolidating? Or what would you propose is a reasonable structure?

Thanks
    isnt there a fine art forum already? which would lend to traditional media?

Thanks
    That seems logical...as a subforum under Fine Arts.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    The Fine Art forum is in the Overall ARTWORK section and, in my opinion, all threads in those sections should be artwork based (showing work), not discussion based. (Besides, why would traditional media be exclusive to fine art? Of course, if it were up to me the Fine Art forum would be one I would nuke, and fold its contents into FF, Critiques, and Sketchbooks. I think the Entertainment Design forum is redundant as well. YMMV.)
    If this must be done, my suggestion is to rename the Hardware and Software section into something more general and/or inclusive, and put it in there.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanks Elwell. I will try to think up of more structure possibilities and run it by Jason so that the forums don't lose threads but are moved elsewhere or put as a Subform (like Fine Arts) so that less forums are taking up space on the main page.

Thanks
    Good point about traditional media only being associated with Fine Arts...totally didn't think that through so lame on me.

But I disagree that the ARTWORK section should only be artwork/showing work forums. I think there is a lot to be gained from discussion - hell, half the time that's what we do with our peers anyway, just talk about different aspects, philosophies, techniques - you know.

The way I see what Arshes is proposing would be less discussion and more examples, pics of gear, materials, easels, holding brushes, where to order supplies, etc.

I do agree that things are a bit fractured - at the same time some subjects don't need a ton of random discussion but are just there as resource/examples to link to.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Good point about traditional media only being associated with Fine Arts...totally didn't think that through so lame on me.

But I disagree that the ARTWORK section should only be artwork/showing work forums. I think there is a lot to be gained from discussion - hell, half the time that's what we do with our peers anyway, just talk about different aspects, philosophies, techniques - you know.

The way I see what Arshes is proposing would be less discussion and more examples, pics of gear, materials, easels, holding brushes, where to order supplies, etc.

I do agree that things are a bit fractured - at the same time some subjects don't need a ton of random discussion but are just there as resource/examples to link to.
    Don't forget cheap and where to get said items cheap!
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 6,723 Times in 4,629 Posts
    I like the Fine Art section as it is more traditionally based. There are some great threads there. A sub section for materials would be welcomed. It took me ages to find the acrylic thread on technique at CA and even though I've read it through several times, I'll be hanged if I can remember where it is at a drop of hat. Maybe one sticky with links might be enough except there are so many different mediums to consider. Subforum with one (locked) sticky of every medium might work better. Threads then below could suggest links to other great threads. Each one considered, added with a short description to make them easy to identify what someone might be looking for.

Thanks
    There's a Fine Art section? I need to get out of the Lounge once in a while.

Thanks
    The proposal is more of a Sister forum for traditional materials like how we have forums dedicated to Digital software/hardware.

Like Black Spot said it can get hard to find this info because it's scattered.

Art Discussion is for any medium regardless if it's digital or not, but while I don't want to make a forum for every little thing, I just think the fact that info is scattered despite our encouragement to seek all forums for info ...I think something may need to be done in terms of cleanup/streamlining etc.