creating custom palettes in Painter 12 help
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: creating custom palettes in Painter 12 help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

creating custom palettes in Painter 12 help

I'm trying out the trial for painter 12. I'm having a bit of difficulty though creating a custom palette for my favorite brushes. In earlier version of Painter all I had to do was drag the brush icon off to the canvas and a new palette would emerge. However I can't seem to do that in Painter 12 without the little red circle appearing. I was able to import my older custom palettes over but can't seem to create one in this version.
    Am I doing something wrong?

Without you I have nothing, but with you
    I have everything
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Apotheases View Post
    I'm trying out the trial for painter 12. I'm having a bit of difficulty though creating a custom palette for my favorite brushes. In earlier version of Painter all I had to do was drag the brush icon off to the canvas and a new palette would emerge. However I can't seem to do that in Painter 12 without the little red circle appearing. I was able to import my older custom palettes over but can't seem to create one in this version.
    Am I doing something wrong?

Just hold the SHIFT key down while you are dragging the brush out to make the custom palette

Occupo piscis piscis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was too easy to accidently create a new custom palette in previous versions, so having to hold down the shift key prevents accidental drag and drop of palette brush icons etc.

David

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    It was too easy to accidently create a new custom palette in previous versions, so having to hold down the shift key prevents accidental drag and drop of palette brush icons etc.

David
    Haha, yeah I did that by accident all the time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool thanks a lot!

Without you I have nothing, but with you
    I have everything

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay! Thank you so much. I've been trying to figure that out for 6 days!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How then do you save the custom brush palette you created?

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how about a bit of RTFM before posting?

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ikken, Are they all as nice as you in Russia? Thanks for taking your time to give me a scolding. I am blatantly aware that you obviously thought I didn't deserve and answer, and that you knew the answer to my question...but you did think I needed a public humiliating. Well you were successful. Hope it made your day. Can't tell you how much I appreciate that. Well that's not entirely true...I did tell you.

It was just me in a rush and, I did peruse the manual, but did not see anything relating to making a custom brush palette so therefore assumed there wasn't anything in the manual about saving a custom brush palette.

I did stumble upon my own answer and saw the palettes item in the windows menu where I was able to name it...and then tested and found that it remained in tact after closing and opening the program...in case someone else reads this thread that was as stupid and as lazy as this fool was.

Hope Russia is nice...for I am quite disinclined to visit now. Have a great day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh...yeah...I doubt I will return to this forum for help...at least going so far as to ask another question.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelws View Post
    ikken, Are they all as nice as you in Russia? Thanks for taking your time to give me a scolding. I am blatantly aware that you obviously thought I didn't deserve and answer, and that you knew the answer to my question...but you did think I needed a public humiliating. Well you were successful. Hope it made your day. Can't tell you how much I appreciate that. Well that's not entirely true...I did tell you.
    The genderless (prefers not to say) Ikken has just made herself/himself look immature and foolish. Rudeness sometimes springs forth here and in other forums where the immature and foolish show their lack of respect for others.

I'll assume you're not one of that group, so wish you the best and ask that you feel free to ask questions whenever you feel the need.

It was just me in a rush and, I did peruse the manual, but did not see anything relating to making a custom brush palette so therefore assumed there wasn't anything in the manual about saving a custom brush palette.

I did stumble upon my own answer and saw the palettes item in the windows menu where I was able to name it...and then tested and found that it remained in tact after closing and opening the program...in case someone else reads this thread that was as stupid and as lazy as this fool was.
    Please don't feed into Ikken's game. No apologies needed, and thanks for sharing the answer.

Hope Russia is nice...for I am quite disinclined to visit now. Have a great day.
    Cut the sarcasm, friend, and you'll be a lot happier.

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes hard not to snip after being snipped at...but you are right. Just got under my skin. Honestly...at 63 it made me feel like I was back in Junior High School...and in that regard...it was kind of fun. But my apologies for not showing more restraint. I am used to the forums and should have just taken it in stride.

Last edited by michaelws; May 29th, 2011 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To save (as in "export"), go to Window and there should be an option under Custom Pallete, I use Painter 6.1 so things might have changed in the version you have but the basics are the same.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Portus,

It seems it automatically saves the custom palette...but you have to name it or it saves it as custom palette 1, custom paletter 2, etc.

Thanks for the reply.

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    The genderless (prefers not to say) Ikken has just made herself/himself look immature and foolish. Rudeness sometimes springs forth here and in other forums where the immature and foolish show their lack of respect for others.
    Really, Jinny, really? I don't have a "ikken is not a she" tagline, but how does my gender matter in a public discussion where you were the first to drag gender question in and went personal?

Have a nice day too, I love how you've made so much drama out of my suggestion to hit F1.

four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    icken, it wasn't the "F" in F1 - it was the "F" in RTFM. I am having a great day...thanks. Hope you are too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Portus,

It seems it automatically saves the custom palette...but you have to name it or it saves it as custom palette 1, custom paletter 2, etc.

Thanks for the reply.
    While it does remember the custom palette it does not automatically save it, if you need to do a shift start for example, it will be lost unless you export it to a folder on your hard drive. I have a Painter folder where I keep copies of all of my custom palettes, brushes, papers, color sets etc.
    That way if I have to do a shift start then all I have to do is go to the custom palette under window and hit import and navigate to the folder where I saved a copy.

I hope this is helpful

Claudia (who is also 63)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Claudia...I will do that. Save to another folder. Many thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see both sides of this,

Yes ikken's answer might put you off, and so was the reply back.

However, I think users should also put some effort into reading the help files. That doesn't mean you can't ask questions, but at least possibly saying you can't find it in the help files first, or need clarification can maybe stop people being short tempered either way.

The manual was redone, and while it has its fair share of errors, the online help file that comes with painter is actually quite nice and very searchable.

I encourage everyone to take a look at it.

http://product.corel.com/help/Painte...html#wp1053823

Last edited by Arshes Nei; May 31st, 2011 at 02:49 PM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for reinforcing the lesson I believe I have learned. I will now un-bookmark this forum. No need to reply for I will not receive any more notifications. I have no more cheeks to turn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for reinforcing the lesson I believe I have learned. I will now un-bookmark this forum. No need to reply for I will not receive any more notifications. I have no more cheeks to turn.

You might try here for a friendly Painter forum:

http://www.paintertalk.net/forum/

Cheers

Doug

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    You might try here for a friendly Painter forum:

http://www.paintertalk.net/forum/

Cheers

Doug
    Or Painter Factory:

http://painterfactory.com/forums/69.aspx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    Really, Jinny, really? I don't have a "ikken is not a she" tagline, but how does my gender matter in a public discussion where you were the first to drag gender question in and went personal?

Have a nice day too, I love how you've made so much drama out of my suggestion to hit F1.
    ikken,

Sorry to have disturbed you. Blame CGSociety for the word Gender. Had they not used it, I would not have.

Gender, to me, just indicates whether the person is a "he" or a "she" and that's what I looked at your profile to find out, before posting my message.

Had it been indicated, I'd have referred to you as "him" or "her", "he" or "she".

Not being one who cares which someone is, other than to refer to them accurately, you caught me off guard and I had to think about it for a while.

Advice to the wise:

Don't waste your time thinking I was making something out of "Gender". That's not something I do. Just know that while I scolded you for being rude, and am not sorry I did, that's all I meant to do, not to offend in some other way.

Had you actually suggested using the F1 key, none of this would have happened. However, that's not what you did.

Sincerely,

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jinny,

Don't worry about it as I think most of us can learn something from the thread. Internet can be insensitive.

I don't even really feel the offense much in RTFM because it's acronym is just like WTF (yes there's swear words in there) but I understand how it can be offense.

I think I feel offended a bit by the OP's "emoquit" so to speak. I was trying to be helpful by posting the online manual for one to see. Especially since I think Corel did a great job on it regardless of its mistakes. It's so much more accessible.

Not all of us get along but I think most of us wouldn't be here if we still didn't love Painter in some way Even if it's the redheaded stepchild kind of way...

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    ikken,

Sorry to have disturbed you. Blame CGSociety for the word Gender. Had they not used it, I would not have.

Gender, to me, just indicates whether the person is a "he" or a "she" and that's what I looked at your profile to find out, before posting my message.

Had it been indicated, I'd have referred to you as "him" or "her", "he" or "she".

Not being one who cares which someone is, other than to refer to them accurately, you caught me off guard and I had to think about it for a while.
    Oh, I see. Thanks for elaborating on that.

I guess this thread had it's share of overheating, projecting and misunderstanding, let's get it back on topic of painter 12 and custom palettes.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi
    I don't want to make new theme and i will ask here
    Can i import some brushes from painter 12 in painter 10
    I try to copy and paste but when i choose the brush painter show me some error and crash down

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (nvm lol - I misunderstood the posting above)

Last edited by ikken; June 8th, 2011 at 06:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreySimeonov View Post
    Hi
    I try to copy and paste but when i choose the brush painter show me some error and crash down
    If what you want to do is to use Painter 12 brushes in Painter 10 the answer is probably no, you won't be able to do that.

Historically, Painter's brushes have not been backward version compatible. In other words, not compatible with earlier Painter versions.

They can, however, be used in following Painter versions.

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreySimeonov View Post
    Hi
    Some variants can be converted for backward compatibility by editing the respective xml file, whilst others cannot, as they use brush methods etc. which are not available in the earlier version i.e. not supported by the brush engine.

David

35. The Following User Says Thank You to sandman For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.