What's a good part-time job? Where do I start?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What's a good part-time job? Where do I start?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What's a good part-time job? Where do I start?

Hi. I'm soon to be a graduate of high school and I was wondering if there would be any art-related jobs that a 17 year old could do? I know, I know, it depends on skill (and here's my gallery if you must), but where would I look?

Right now I'm working as a cashier at a grocery store and it's making me miserable that I'm not using any of my talents in what I do. Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Where bears with balalaykas are on the Red Square
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mate. Checked your sb. Well what I have to say to you isn't pleasent. You've got to spend some quality time on improving your skills. It means anatomy study, proportion\perspective study. You have to study a lot of reference images, drawing from real life, to understand physics of light and volume. Watch professional artist's work, buy some tutorials.

It was a year of a hard self-taught studying for me, before I've got some low-paid comic page assignment (of course before that I was making website designs, which isn't really hard to study ^_^). After that it got easier. Right now it's 2 years since the beggining of studying. I've got some clients, got a full-time job as concept artist, but it's still not enough and there's a lot to learn yet. So here's the picture.

Of course it depends on how much you can contribute to studying. It might be faster, might be longer. Anyway without experience there's not much of a chance.

You can always try to join indie teams (see ads on indidedb.com. moddb.com), who making games without funding.

Anyway - wish you luck mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I honestly recommend working arranging plants and flowers. It's not glamorous but it's a good resume builder to show your design and attention skills for future jobs and it's practical. You also could learn to think as a designer and problem solver.

Members who have read this thread: 1