First post, requesting critique?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I just started using my new tablet, and I was wondering if I could get some pointers on how to improve this. This is a pretty basic sketch, but I wanted some feedback before working on it more.
    If this is in the wrong section, please correct me, I'm new to this site.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok i dont want to go to far.... First i would say get a pencil, second lots of paper, third references (maybe some books about drawing).... Digital art is about drawing, drawing and well...... drawing . You need to know basic anatomy, perspective, how to use shading etc.... and remember there is no shortcuts on this stage.... good luck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Agree with leondrago, digital is a terrible place to learn to draw. A pile of paper, preferably large paper I use 18x24" a lot these days) but even printer paper will do, and a pencil. Draw as much as possible, but study too. The Andrew Loomis books can be found for free here, as well as a number of other places, and there's a pretty comprehensive reading list here.

First things you really need are learning to conceive of drawings in three dimensions, which can take a fair amount of practice to really click with, and drawing from life. Not necessarily life drawing, as in classes, although take them if you can, but just drawing real things rather than photos or video. Chalk this piece up to a learning experience, and go from there.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah.... Thats 100% right.... Printer paper is very cheap those times... Just draw as much as you can and if something goes wrong just start again... Well thats what im normally doing heh.... By the way guys pop in to my post and if u have spare time I need some critique as well...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you drawing with a mouse? There is no pressure sensitivity to your line. Anyway, I'm agreed with the others. You need to hold off on digital and do studies with a pencil and paper. This looks like you're copying from a photo with no real understanding of volume or construction, which makes everything squishy and unrealistic. Maybe you should try drawing this with a pencil and posting that. Then we can give you pointers on your drawing alone, without any of the problems inherent in your digital attempt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your advice, i'll do that and come back here when i'm a bit more experienced.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No dont do that !! dont leave!

Keep posting your work and start a sketchbook and most of the people here will help you out, with helpful critisism, This is a good place to post, keep doing it just learn as best you can and grow with the rest of us.

All the best to you.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.