Spartan Camp #182 - 50 gestures + Optional "Different media gestures study"

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 686 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 22th of May.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Different media gestures", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

Instead of a separate study, we will change how we do our 'usual' gestures. When doing your gesture drawing, make use of several media. You do not necessarily have to use several media within one drawing, just alternate between the figures. For instance you could do a couple in pencil, some with pens, some digital, some charcoal/watercolours/pastel, and so forth. Plenty of possibilities! The aim is to test out some different media and 'move out of our comfort zone' when it comes to tools for drawing. Use of a unfamiliar tool may give you some fresh insight as they all have different uses.

*edit* I've used media as the plural for medium but I can't seem to find whether this is grammatically correct. If wrong- please do correct me!

As always- reference advised, not obligatory. Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Good luck and have fun! And feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Criticizing each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #181

shiNIN
    samming

Last edited by Anthis; May 22nd, 2011 at 03:51 PM.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis-- sounds like fun! And you're right about media/medium:
    http://imgi.uibk.ac.at/mmetgroup/MMe...ield/media.htm

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zy. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mixed media is an awesome idea! I've been doing digital sketches so far. Currently working on Loomis heads.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LeanneMGardner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice loomis head studies Isrynn

This spartan camp seems interesting, I will try to post some gestures every week but I don't think I will be able to get to 50.
    Here are some for this week:
    Spartan Camp #182 - 50 gestures + Optional "Different media gestures study"Spartan Camp #182 - 50 gestures + Optional "Different media gestures study"Spartan Camp #182 - 50 gestures + Optional "Different media gestures study"
    Spartan Camp #182 - 50 gestures + Optional "Different media gestures study"Spartan Camp #182 - 50 gestures + Optional "Different media gestures study"

Last edited by deadlyhamster; May 19th, 2011 at 05:16 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlyhamster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis: Where is my star? I so totally drew skulls, I didn't think anyone can overlook them. Especially Geza I miss your nice words as well in the end of the topics but life is tough *sigh*
    {don't take me too seriously, it's okay}

Erm just some lazy stuff...

What do you think about tasteful nudes without nipples and genitalia vs photobucket mods? I'm curious what will happen (Anya, gracefulnudes.com, by the way. Lovely girl though too thin. But Ariel is hard to draw and Anya has some extra gracefulness)

I plan to do some watercolor gestures this week...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN- my bad!

Gotta hurry -
    I actually did last weeks optional.. which consumed some time...
    Then I only did a couple of gestures. Strange mixture of pencil, pen, ballpoint.

be right back

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis: Thanks Nice skull It's always a joy to see a good one, no matter if it's human or animal

Well... My last week wasn't very great... Especially regarding drawing (but I focus only on drawing anyway). On Sunday I've seriously started drawing figures. Especially the same contrapost gesture... I don't know why is it that tough but the 30th one was about as crappy as the first one. But I won't give up.
    (I don't want to continue my stupid copying style that leaves me with the same skill after zillion figures. Maybe it improves something but I didn't really recognize it and I still have not a vague idea about how to approach the drawing of the human body. Anatomy studies don't help, I just know what is there but how to draw it...? That's a different story.)
    Erm, sorry.
    A few pencil stuff.

David. I like him but I felt in the beginning he was too much of an opponent at that time. And maybe a bit too self critical as well.

Landseer master study wip:

No optional this week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zy. – Hah, thanks for the help! Got confused since I’ve seen ‘mediums’ being used in a different context.

Isrynn – Nice ones! I particularly like how the gestures are fairly restrained and not too extravagant. They’re effective. I’m not a big fan of how you treated the head, but perhaps that serves its own purpose? The Loomis heads are pretty good. Always interesting to see how small changes in the head area can make such a big difference. I like that you don’t always draw out the jawline. I often find that tempting to do as you can easily define a head that way. In reality, I think it’s rarely that pronounced. Good going! A good exercise is to try some on your own to put this in practice!

deadlyhamster – Welcome! Getting to 50 may seem daunting. Gestures are not necessarily elaborate studies by themselves though, so you don’t really have to spend hours. Other than that, it’s a matter of exercise! Good start, nice posemaniacs. I think you handled the foreshortening very well. I’ve learned a lot from drawing from reference, and then following up with some self-constructed gestures. Nice work on that first study. Perhaps the sharp, thin pencil is not helping but that may be your preference. Also, it may take some testing, but you can use more organic lines, even for crosshatching. Great job on neck/head; tough angle!

shiNIN – Yes- fixed that. I completely forgot after I promised some crits last week! Actually I had the time as well. Those are good thoughts on the use of lines. Lineart is practical, but those lines are hardly ever there in reality. I think it’s easy to focus too much on the lines. So, good experiment with those hands! I like the” lazy quickies without erasing”. I’ve been planning to draw more without erasing (or using pen) to force more focused and confident drawing. Tough though. I like gracefulnudes as reference (ill look up the names when I get back from Uni, haha). I usually just upload everything to photobucket and resubmit under a different name if they remove it. If you can’t be bothered with that... I think that since nipples/genitalia are rarely vital to the gesture, you might as well leave them out. Right?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As usually, bringing up the rear

These are some studies of faces I did from various screenshots I've collected:
    Name:  Screen shot 2011-05-23 at 2.58.48 PM.png
Views: 740
Size:  1.12 MB

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zy. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Isrynn-- Nice gestures. And good simplification of the human form. Nice character studies too. One word of warning: I did the box head too for a long time, and it really payed me back later when I realized I wasn't comfortable with neck/head anatomy. The head/neck joint can be a beast.

deadlyhamster-- Welcome! I have only had 50 once. The number is a goal to push us, not an absolute Good shadowing and nice water colors. Watch the jaw line though, it's moving too far back in the water color studies, and is skewed in the man looking up.

Anthis-- Nice skull. Solid texture in there, esp like the holes were the veins come out. Don't see those being emphasized too much, but they're important!

shiNIN-- Great to see you're diving into figures! Maybe the 30th looks like the first because the first is good The elk is very nice. Good shine on his coat!

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zy. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    id like to participate! , do we actually have to post the 50 gestures?

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A new thread is up!

zy. - Haha, yea those veins are the fun details. They're also "easy shapes" that really turn out to be helpful in achieving a solid form. Nice work on the heads, proportions are standing out. You're very subtle, without exaggerating features.

rem92 - Sure, give it a try! You do not have to reach 50 gestures, it is originally set a creat a general goal. With a little practice, 50 a week can be done to provide a good weekly exercise. Take a look trough some of the previous rounds to get some ideas!

Members who have read this thread: 3