Thanks

First time in the WIP/CRIT Forum

First time in the WIP+Critique area; left with my tail between my legs.
    Anyone else have a similar first reaction?
    I just graduated, and I feel like I should go back to school.
    Hmm...

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    You left? Get back in there!

What the heck, I graduated ages ago and feel like I'm just starting to learn. And the more I think I'm learning, the more I realize I still have to learn. Or re-learn. It never ends...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    Yeah. That place is scary. I don't post there very often for that reason. But everytime I do I learn something, so it's a good thing anyway.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    As tough as it seems there in the WIPS, real interviews are a hundred times worse. AD's are usually pressed for time and can't be as nice as people are here on CA. One of the things you'll need when putting your work out there is a thick skin, ignore ass pats and take good constructive crits to heart.

I hate that schools don't prepare people for the career they paid them to prepare them for. Too many schools are cashing in on the concept art craze and giving nothing in return. We should lock up their teachers for fraud.
    The good thing is after school you are in control of your own career so take advantage of all places like this have to offer and knuckle down and work your ass off.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Well, my first time was something more like "post in Critique Center, put on the Instant Email Notification-thing, never get any replies, get depressed, come back three years later and notice that I never actually put the Instant Notification-thing on and that I have bunch of replies that I never saw"
    Don't ask why I didn't ever check the thread manually just in case, I was young and scatterbrained.

Anyway, back then I was so young, stupid, lazy and inexperienced that I couldn't really take out the most (or really, anything) out of the other written crits I got (somebody pretty much had to hold my hand when I was dealing with anything that had do with learning back then [okay, I still suck at learning by myself but I'm at least bit better now]) and admittedly I was one of those who were bit disappointed that this place wasn't the goldmine of paint overs and red lines I imagined it to be, so I wasn't really ready for this place yet back then.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    You left? Go back and read the critiques, then think.

Seriously, graduated shmaduated - do you think that an artist's education stops with getting a fancy piece of calligraphy? It's a life-long process. Get used to it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I was very nervous posting there for the first time, after years on the site.
    Once I did though - all that went away. I got a lot of good advice and it helped me produce much better work in the end. No matter how intimidating, it's never worth avoiding a place where you get real crit

Thanks
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    You left? Get back in there!
    LOL. Post of the week
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Get back in there mate. Those seemingly tough posts are gold. One thing I hate about the sketchbook forum is that there's almost no critique anymore, so be glad there's place where people still dish it out.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    I've gotten worse crits than that. You're on the right track at least. Just keep going. I saw the thread you improved a bit with each image.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    I don't post work in there, because I dropped coin to have someone crit my work. Going through a mail order art school & loving it.

One piece of advice, when you post in that section, DON'T be in love with your work. It helps to be rational, & not be in love with it. It's not your first born being attacked by a pitbull.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    If you think critique from people who know what they are saying is rough just wait till you get them from people who dont know nothing.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDSart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    There's a famous saying that I see round here alot..."Don't be afraid to Murder Your Darlings" (basically what OmenSpirits says)

But yeah I've only posted once in there and that was because I needed to make it better and I know I'm crap at environments and the advice I got was great, really opened my eyes to what I was missing. It's just something you have to keep doing and you'll eventually get a thicker skin.

The worst experience for me was when I tried to give crit myself and the person started questioning why I said what I did and demanding an explanation...so I'll post for crit again but never give it unless I'm 100% sure I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Even giving crit can be helpful, as it makes you start to think more in depth about other peoples' art, you can think about how the elements in their work might translate over to your own work. And even if you give a crit and later realized it sounded kind of foolish, hey, you're still learning through that process.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's way too easy to feel even a little bit offended by crits, but you've got to remember that you asked them to say what the flaws are. It doesn't mean that when people look at that piece they think its awful.

I know myself that I can spend ages typing and retyping a crit for someone, nitpicking for something that they could have done better, and yet when they read the crit it'll probably seem as though I knew all the errors immediatley after viewing a piece.

The crit forum isn't after your blood. Once you understand that, the critique forum is a much more rewarding and approachable place.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sulphur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The last piece of work I put their for critique regarding values, I got a lot of helpful comments, but I looked at my art and I really couldn't see what they were talking about.

Then I bought a new monitor and finally saw for myself just how awful my values were. Now, I don't even know if it can be salvaged (so yeah, for those who gave me advice and tips on that work I posted, thanks a bunch! Sorry for the lack of updates but it seemed like it's something I had to redo from scratch).

Thanks
    ehhh... i feel like most of the crits i see there are from people who dont know what they're talking about. amateurs giving crappy advice to amateurs.
    you have to know how to sift through and find the crits from someone with experience.

i have a bit of a different philosophy about art and critiques:
    when i feel that a piece is done; its done. end of story. i move on to the next one. someone gives me a critique, awesome. i listen if i feel that it has some merit and apply that new knowledge to the NEXT piece. i never go back.
    that section of the forum drives me crazy. i dont understand how anyone can work on one image for weeks at a time. that to me isn't FUN. and i absolutely MUST have fun when i draw. thats my top priority. grab a sketchbook, fill that fucker up as quickly as possible. i dont sit around and noodle one image to death. i move on and learn more shit. draw more, get more crits. draw more, get more crits. draw more, get more crits.
    but thats just my philosophy. that may not work for you. hell, some people seem to have fun working on one image for a month.
    i cant do that.

igot distracted by work while typing this, lost my point.
    cant finish, need to focus. hope that makes some sort of sense.

Thanks
    ok, got a min.
    i guess what i'm getting at is to not post there. if it was me, i'd start a sketchbook and update it as often as possible. that will help you get better for the simple fact that you're drawing more and not spending a ton of time on one image. and its easier to critique a BODY of work than it is to critique a single image. well it is for me anyway, i can look at they body of work and say "hey, you seem to regularly draw your hands too big and legs too short" whereas with a single image i might just toss it up to a stylistic choice for that particular drawing.
    i dunno... maybe i'm weird.
    but if you do decide to keep posting there: question the experience level of those giving the critique at all times. dont let some dumbass who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about discourage you. always always always check out THEIR work before you listen to their advice. if you think they have no idea what they're talking about? give a polite nod, say thanks for the crit and ignore it.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDirtSyndicate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtSyndicate View Post
    igot distracted by work while typing this, lost my point.
    cant finish, need to focus. hope that makes some sort of sense.
    Quite a few people find art a meditative process. I can totally understand working on an image for a month, though I'd never do it myself. Seen people spend 400-500 hours on an image - the end result looks amazing, but eh.

I should probably post in the Critique Forum myself some time. I'm just confused as to wether or not there's a specific "process" or something along those lines to posting in there. Sometimes you need to whip yourself into fixing up mistakes, but you don't where to whip, so you hand the whip to other people and let them at it.

Least, that's always what I figured it was for. Just keep in mind that they're not gleefully rubbing their hands behind their desks giggling to themselves as they critique your work, and you'll be fine.

I've also figured that, of course, you don't just take every comment for granted. Dissect their critique as much as they dissect your work, and find out what's relevant to you. It's your direction. (It also helps to actually mention that you're going for a somewhat stylistic approach to your art, when you are. Saves a lot of hassle on their part.

It is, after all, all about communication.
    Sketchbook of the Now|Visual Lovemaking|Abominables
    I do that thing where you scalp cars-salesmen and call it art.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtSyndicate View Post
    ok, got a min.
    i guess what i'm getting at is to not post there. if it was me, i'd start a sketchbook and update it as often as possible. that will help you get better for the simple fact that you're drawing more and not spending a ton of time on one image. and its easier to critique a BODY of work than it is to critique a single image. well it is for me anyway, i can look at they body of work and say "hey, you seem to regularly draw your hands too big and legs too short" whereas with a single image i might just toss it up to a stylistic choice for that particular drawing.
    i dunno... maybe i'm weird.
    There is something to be said about that approach; but you have the benefit of experience and the point of view of an experienced draftsman.

Beginners trying to finish drawings is not often a good idea, because they can waste their time building mistake on top of mistake. It might be a better idea to bring an interim "quick" drawing to a critique forum and get some ideas about why it's wrong. Then they can scrap that drawing and start over. Without a major investment of time, the frustration level may be kept a bit lower.

Yeah, and I agree with you... you never stop learning... but eventually all the tools of drawing are in your box, and you get to the stage where you are... where experience tells you one thing, and half a dozen bad critiques tell you another.
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    After getting a lot of feedback and critiques, you'll eventually develop a shield of what I can only call artistic masochism-- getting a second opinion on your work will continue to hurt, but your desperate need for it will make you ignore the pain.

However, until you become an artistic masochist, it's totally okay to feel used and abused-- I can appreciate what a blow it must be to your confidence to hear negative things. It's going to continue to be that way that though until you start applying what you've learned from people and discovered that, wow, you're actually better for it-- you know? That's when you'll start seeking out advice, rather than shrinking from it. Going into those forums is an awesome first step!

BTW, just as a side bar, when you (or anyone) are getting critique, there's only two appropriate responses: "thank you" and "can you explain in more detail?" People can get very defensive when they're being critiqued, and it will sour people to you and your work if you become one of those people-- so, just an FYI.
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Wait till you have clients giving you "critique"...

Or, rather, telling you "This is great! Now change everything..."

That's when you get a thick skin. Eventually you learn to respond politely, then yell and curse privately... and then change everything.

Thanks
    well, better than getting "critique" from a pretentious bunch of hipsters who are interested in showing off their artsy uniqueness "i am more creative than you" vibe when they don't know half the shit that professors do.

aaahhh, highschool.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sanya View Post
    BTW, just as a side bar, when you (or anyone) are getting critique, there's only two appropriate responses: "thank you" and "can you explain in more detail?" People can get very defensive when they're being critiqued, and it will sour people to you and your work if you become one of those people-- so, just an FYI.
    Oh, god. Please tell me I didn't make myself into an ass.

Thanks
    Not at all, that really was a general comment.
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Damn I have nothing yet, and I feel like I'm going to be chewed and spat many many times with little positive outcome. i posted a sketchbook and i have nothing yet.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smvuy View Post
    Damn I have nothing yet, and I feel like I'm going to be chewed and spat many many times with little positive outcome. i posted a sketchbook and i have nothing yet.....
    Yes...yes, you will. But, sweetie, it takes time. And guess who`s in charge of a positive outcome? That`s right - you! Wow, huh? Take the advice given to you (with a grain of salt, like everything in life) and grind through. You can do it. Right?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smvuy View Post
    First crit: make a link to your sketchbook in your signature.

Edit: See? Not so bad was it? No chewing, no spitting. Yet.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals