Thread: The Witcher 2

Thanks

The Witcher 2

Okay, I can't hold in my excitement any longer.

The Witcher 2 is going to be released on Tuesday, and the original had fantastic story with good exposition, models and textures, characters, locations and mythology. The loading screens were ironically one of my favorite parts because they were beautiful speedpaintings done in a traditional overtone.

W2 looks to be just as good. Look at the way they do the animations out of paintings moving around paintings with 3D lighting and particle effects thrown in.

You need to watch this in 720p. OH MAH GAWD.
    Anyone else excited? Are you excited? Cuz I'm excited I've never been so excited well except when you first walked into this town and I was like "BLARRGH" (Pinkie Pie reference)

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It looks so good. Makes me wish i had beat the first one :/
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert.B View Post
    It looks so good. Makes me wish i had beat the first one :/
    I spent about 80 hours on the first one, really good game IMO. TW2 should be a blast...still going to wait for some reviews to come out before I buy it, I'm strapped on cash .

Thanks
    Sort of a shame they use those dreaded 'half-animated' stills you see more and more. I'm sure it's far more cost and time-efficient than regular animation, but it always tends to look really corny and cheap.

Not to say that Witcher 2 isn't going to be a good game, the world dynamics already look a lot more convincing than most of what you see in the Dragon age games.

I wonder which game is going to walk away with Rpg of the year award, with Skyrim still coming out this year.

Does the Witcher 2 work with imported saves like the recent bioware games? I've never played the Witcher 1, so...

Edit: Ya, I did, Deadlyhazard.
    Last edited by MidgardSerpent; May 13th, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
    My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MidgardSerpent View Post
    Sort of a shame they use those dreaded 'half-animated' stills you see more and more. I'm sure it's far more cost and time-efficient than regular animation, but it always tends to look really corny and cheap.

Not to say that Witcher 2 isn't going to be a good game, the world dynamics already look a lot more convincing than most of what you see in the Dragon age games.

I wonder which game is going to walk away with Rpg of the year award, with Morrowind still coming out this year.

Does the Witcher 2 work with imported saves like the recent bioware games? I've never played the Witcher 1, so...
    Errr do you mean Skyrim instead of Morrwind? :p

Yes, TW2 is going to have an imported games feature...like ME1 to ME2.

Thanks
    If they kept the combat the same as what I've seen in videos, not even an epic storyline will make up for how absolutely dull the combat will be.. Boring as heck, unless the person playing it SUCKED (which has happened before, and it makes the game look horrible)
    The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Got the first on a steam deal, spent a lot of time. Easy combat but yet somehow fun. I just thought the whole inventory too much items thing was not so great. Price is a little much for 2, will wait until it's in the $10-$20.

Thanks
    Yeah once the semester finishes I'm jumping right on it. The combat wasn't shocking but there was definitely room for improvement.

Currently looking for work!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hitnrun View Post
    If they kept the combat the same as what I've seen in videos, not even an epic storyline will make up for how absolutely dull the combat will be.. Boring as heck, unless the person playing it SUCKED (which has happened before, and it makes the game look horrible)
    I kind of sort of maybe agree. On the one hand I hate the idea that the player has the obligation to use a targeting system, which most auto-combat mechanics annoy the hell out of me. I want the camera to be completely fixed to my mouse, with a reticule in the middle so I can click on the enemy I want to hit as I swing.

But on the other hand I did see how the person playing dodged every nanosecond, which also bugged me. I think he was just trying to prevent the other fighter from getting a shutoff, or letting the NPC's get a surround. As there's no 'Group Style' anymore, you can't deal damage to multiple enemies at once so you have to make absolutely sure that only one guy is within hitting distance.

Apart from that, it's got a kind of 'Arkham Asylum' vibe to it. That may be a good or a bad thing. If I feel more comfortable playing this game on a controller than with a mouse and keyboard then the combat system has failed.

Jordan Beeston
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Combat in the first game was a bit dry at first, but got interesting enough once you had a couple of spells.

Incidentally, the first one is currently six dollars on gog.com.

Thanks
    I am so very excited!
    Even read all the books after playing the first game. Squeee can't wait

Thanks
    It's out on tuesday? Wow I really haven't been keeping up. I absolutely LOVED the first game. It just had that "something" you know, where you can really tell the developers really loved what they were doing. It's a rare thing in games these days. Definately getting this as soon as I can afford it.
    My sketchbook - Help me improve!

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard View Post
    I still think the original is better

Jordan Beeston

Thanks
    No group style?? Whhaaattt?? Sucks man, group was helpful to have when facing 3 drowners and a bunch of other crap. I really hate when your weapon can be obviously hitting 5 opponents, but only the one targeted takes damage. I will say that for Dragon Age II - if your sword hits more than 1 opponent, more than one opponent takes damage from it.
    The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    No group style?? Whhaaattt?? Sucks man, group was helpful to have when facing 3 drowners and a bunch of other crap. I really hate when your weapon can be obviously hitting 5 opponents, but only the one targeted takes damage. I will say that for Dragon Age II - if your sword hits more than 1 opponent, more than one opponent takes damage from it.
    Maan this new combat style was a learning curve (I played on Hard right from the Get-go) but I get the general gist of it. Double tap the WASD keys (or space bar) as often as you can to prevent the enemies from getting a surround, and use the Samum bomb as much as you can (They don't run out for some reason) to 1. Slow the enemy advance and 2. pick off the fodder units.

They've done a real good job so far with this game (I'm in Flotsam at the moment.) And there are some emotional moments that probably won't mean so much to you unless you've played the first game.

Jordan Beeston

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    I had thought about getting this game but wasn't sure if it's any good. It looked similar to oblivion which i didn't like. Though i could probably be convinced to get it, as i love my fantasy RPGs.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    I had thought about getting this game but wasn't sure if it's any good. It looked similar to oblivion which i didn't like. Though i could probably be convinced to get it, as i love my fantasy RPGs.
    I could say with a substantial amount of confidence that it's the polar opposite to what the Elder scrolls is (Sandbox masturbation with no story), The Witcher being 100% about Story, characters, and the combat mechanics are so much deeper.

Jordan Beeston

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beeston For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    yeah ill echo that. Its nothing like oblivion.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Would you recommend me playing the first game before trying out the second?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlightedArt View Post
    Would you recommend me playing the first game before trying out the second?
    They make a point of saying that you don't need to play the first game to understand the second game's story.. but there are a lot of moments that pay homage to the first game which you won't really understand if you haven't played it, and it adds so much nostalgia value it's not funny. It also makes you love the second game even more for it.

Secondly, some of the story's most emotional and pivotal moments (that I've played through so far) I guess wouldn't have the same impact unless you've already been through hell and high water with these particular characters in the first Witcher, because you've already grown attached to them.

So I'd say it's not obligatory, but playing the first game adds so much value to the second game in terms of mythology, characters and your knowledge of the history preceding the second game. If you have the time, do it. It's a worthy investment.

Also: Because of the game's non-linearity legacy, when you play the first game, make sure you choose the options and the sides that you think are right (morally.) Because they WILL have an effect on how the second game plays out if you choose to import your saves from the first game.

Ugh. JUST GOO PLAY IT

Jordan Beeston

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Awesome, thanks for the info on the game. sounds like i'll be picking it up.

Hey on an off chance, has any of you played Demons Souls? Great great great wonderful game if u ever get the chance.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    I grew some interest on the first one, i had read the first two Geralt of Rivia books and though they were rentertaining, but never actually got around to play it.

If i`m generally not atracted at all by RPG games or sandboxy games i doubt it will mean an epiphany or will it?

Thanks
    Everyone is comparing this game to Demon Souls FYI. On normal it's VERY hard compared to most games. I usually don't die on any play-through of almost any game on normal and sometimes I can do that on hard. I've died probably around 100 times in the first two chapters alone (about 15-20 hours of gameplay there). And none of the deaths feel cheap. Some of the bosses literally two shot you and they're not short fights.

The boss fights are hard, the writing is deep, it's pretty much every RPG lover's dream. It's sooo much better than the first.

And I'd like to take note of the writing like I said. It's not black and white. It's more morally ambiguous than that. There are no clear cut bad or good guys. That's the brilliance of it.....you see too many generic plotlines in games and RPGs nowadays. It's such a refresher to see this.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/th...ssins-of-kings

Here's a link if there's any doubts. Within the next couple of days the Gamespot review will be up....I generally trust them over IGN and especially Gametrailers.

Thanks
    Pretty hardcore game. I got the GOG download version and it has a cool digital art book with lots of designs and concept art. I really like the fact the world seems somewhat authentic in its Medieval roots, and not just the usual fantasy stereotype. Loved the armour and clothes designs, and Vernon Roche just flat out ruled.