"Good artists don't care if they have their work stolen"

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"Good artists don't care if they have their work stolen"

No, I'm not trolling. I promise.
    But I read on another art-based forum that competent and professional artists don't care if their work is stolen and only bad artists Will get upset over it. All the posters in the thread seem to come to a general consensus that it was true. I personally disagree with it, because to me it would feel as if the time I had spent getting to that point and everything was stolen. And art theft in general isn't okay. No matter how much you suck.
    Curious, what do you think of that statement? Where do you think this idea was spurned from?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Opinions of amateurs making art on the side.
    They don't care about their art being stolen because they make it for a laugh.

Best to delete the forum entry in your bookmarks and simply move on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well when professional artists art at work, everything they create is property of the organisation they are employed by, or property of the client to whom they are commissioned (of course, allowing for individual variation in the contract details). So if you steal some drawings from Disney, you're doing just that; stealing from Disney.

I've yet to find a professional artist that didn't care when work attributed to their name was stolen, though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I guess it also depends on the theft... Like if we consider the theft to be something like "13-year old kid found an awesome concept art pic from the net and uploaded it to his/her DA page without knowing any better", I'd think that most mature people wouldn't get exactly upset from that, and rather just report it to the admins and go on. But if it's something like the "professional artist took someone elses artwork, flipped it over and pasted it on to his car ad, claiming it to be 100% his own work", yeah even a professional would take a note of that (though whether they'd be actually upset, laughing or going "wtf" depends on the person, as they know their world won't come falling down).

And in general, beginners (especially younger people) don't always have that emotional detachment developed (not like all professionals have either), so even a more "innocent" art theft can feel much worse and personal. So I'd say it depends on the artist's mentality, rather than the quality of their arts. And other variables.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Before commenting, I'd like a link to the original thread, to see if your reporting of it is accurate.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The idea likely came from people saying "If you dont want it stolen, dont post it on the internet!" and other such things. Also the one where "You should be honored it was stolen! That means more exposure for you!"

All artists should care that their art was stolen. Good, or bad! The majority of artist's that get their stuff stolen are always great artists, it's a shame it happens.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You'd also have to define stolen. Linked to, passed around with correct attribution, used as an avatar or other harmless noncommercial tribute...s'okay by me. Claimed by somebody else, put on t-shirts and sold...not so much.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,163 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard a quote like this in reference to how easy it is for the average viewer to download in your artwork.

In that case I agree whole-heartedly. Professionals shouldn't be slapping gigantic watermarks and no-right-click-scripts on their images.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Kaibigan View Post
    Well when professional artists art at work, everything they create is property of the organisation they are employed by, or property of the client to whom they are commissioned (of course, allowing for individual variation in the contract details). So if you steal some drawings from Disney, you're doing just that; stealing from Disney.

I've yet to find a professional artist that didn't care when work attributed to their name was stolen, though.
    Whu? Leaving out a pretty large chunk of artists there...as in gallery artists. Not to mention artist/illustrators who develop their own properties/books. Not to mention the complete misconception that only the specific rights for a given piece/project are negotiated to the client. Not to mention that even when employed by a company, any work created that does not relate to the business of that company is not owned by them. In other words, EA did not own my landscape paintings when I was there. Before you make a lot of noise make sure you know what you're talking about.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    in general i think it doesnt really hurt the creator, because its most likely targetgroups he missed out on anyway... im no master in anyway, and i dont deem my efforts worth stealing, but even if i once become an artist, i cant see myself putting redicilous watermarks on it.

i think industry adopted to that issue aswell, since there are test-assignments etc. people who think that a one-time-accomplishment is all it takes, are fucked anyway... who cares about those poor sobs?

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The act is almost always annoying. Now though, someone can steal one piece, ten pieces or more from an artist but not the skill that allowed to create the works. And the internet does a good job of exposing the thieves. Also, among good artists, many have such personal signature styles that trying to pass their work as your own is only publicising them at your expense. Cheesy conclusion is, great art doesn't fear being stolen because it is everyone's.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Before you make a lot of noise make sure you know what you're talking about.
    There goes 90% of the internet...

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I talked about it with my friend and he said that it was probably because there are so many "immature" artists who are like "OMG DUNT STEALLLZ!!!1!"I have to say that that is probably likely.

And I would link it, but it was on an imageboard that isn't quite working at the moment.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, there's stealing and then there's stealing. Reposting of your work with your contact info still intact may gain you exposure. Plagiarism, defacement, mass theft by fraudulent pay sites, and the like will gain you nothing - those only feed the perpetrator.

I think that the anonymous bastard who had removed the contact info from my Dragon Anatomy tables and reposted them like that had cost me and Jen at least several thousand dollars in licensing revenues. The pictures themselves are all over the net, and I had seen them used as clip art in everything from magazine illustrations to a Hollywood movie. The images had been watermarked by Digimarc; no one had apparently bothered to check if they were - it is a joke. No credit; no payment; no exposure for me or Jen. Probably whoever did it had done it "for lulz" or to promote their own web site.

So yes, stealing can hurt you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you know... I wonder what Android would say to this, since his work was recently ripped off by some "professional" illustrator :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I were anybody in that thread I would talk to every artist that Titus Lunter built his career off, or every comic artist that Rob Granito traced and passed off as his own at comic conventions and ask them how they feel about it.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the only thing you can steal without breaking into my house is a photo of my work. i'm fine with that. for digital artists, i wouldn't know how to feel really

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, Cro-magnon... I would be sooo NOT fine with that. Since I sell prints, stealing my images for profit means that I lose a lot of money.

In the art fair circuit, one of the main issues deals with people who come up to your booth, take pictures of your artwork, and at the next show or some other show, you see them have the exact same piece (prints or "originals").

This causes a huge issue if they are selling the work cheaper than you are.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.