Todd Harris website/ebook any good?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Todd Harris website/ebook any good?

Hello, I am just beginning to learn about art and have been researching things on the basics to see what would be helpful for somebody with barley any knowledge. With that being said, I found two things, a ebook and a websiteand would like to know if anyone knows if these are any good.

http://www.alldrawnout.com/
    http://www.learning2draw.com/

While I already have a couple of books someone suggested in my other post, I still would like to know if people have any experience with these two websites. Are they worth the money, or are they nothing too special? I found his youtube, blog, and twitter and really liked his work I found on those, so I think I would learn a good amount from these if they are worth it. Any help would be appreciated and thanks for your time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You mean...I can learn to draw? Here? NOW?! Without years of hard work, studies, and training? Fuck that! I want instant gratification! Sign me up!

Sarcasm aside, I think I bought that ebook years ago, when I was first starting out, as the Natalie Portman demo joggled something in my memory. I don't know where I placed it though.

That said, I looked over it a few times, then relegated it to the dustbin. Didn't learn much from it.

There are no "secrets" or "shortcuts" to developing good artistic skills. It's all about practice, studies, hardwork and perseverance. If you want to learn how to draw the human form and faces, go to a local portrait or figure drawing session. Anyone trying to sell you a line of coke, saying that it will turn you into a great artist, is most likely eyeing your wallet, and is milking you for it. I should know, since I fell for the very same thing you're pondering about getting.

If you want some books, invest in these:

Bridgman
    Hogarth (If you like the style)
    Hampton
    Loomis

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,464 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Woo, this Harris guy lays it on thick.

Never mind Harris's fluff, he's just making it sound sensational and far easier than it really is. Save your money. You can get most of these things from a good book on drawing. You can actually get them for free, if you like.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think I could take a site called "learning2draw.com" seriously...

Honestly, though, you'd probably be better off checking out the almighty reading list sticky: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152626

...there's a lot of tried-and-true art instruction standards listed there that would be cheaper and more useful than any kind of "learn 2 draw the E-Z way!" gimmick.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh god, this Todd Harris guy really IS a quack! I just noticed that if you pay him he offers Harold Speed's Practice of Drawing as a "free bonus e-book! regular value $45!"...

...That book is ALREADY legally available for free through Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14264

Makes me wonder about his other "free bonus extras".

Actually, the fact that his first big bold bullet point is "how to draw hair!" is a pretty good clue that what we have here is a gimmick and not real instruction...

(By the way, the Harold Speed book IS worth reading. So ignore Todd Harris and just download that book instead.)

Last edited by QueenGwenevere; May 13th, 2011 at 05:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys. I am Todd Harris. Someone has created the content in these e-books and used my name and art to sell it. I am in the process of contacting them and possibly taking legal action to have it removed immediately. I'm embarrassed and very disturbed about this and hope it didn't cause any of you much grief. My sincere apologies. I love art and respect the art community and I'm trying to get to the bottom of this. I'm absolutely sick that this happened.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to toddharris For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1