Thanks

What is the salary range for concept artists?

I'm sure this question has already been posted on here somewhere so if anyone knows where it's at, please let me know or you could just post a link.

If not, does anyone have a good idea? What is the range, the hierarchy? How many factors have to be taken into consideration?

While it's more about doing what you love, ignoring the money aspect is just impractical.

Thanks.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,548 Posts
    It's wide open nowadays. If you're good, work at a major studio, work well with others and have a good rep you can do very well. If you're just getting started and you're at a small no-name studio with no track record it could be peanuts.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    There was a thread about this awhile back, here in the lounge. It can be found: Here

A noteworthy quote from the man, Jason Manley about it:

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    getting 70 to start as a concept artist is extremely rare...38-50k is typically the starting rate, depending on budgets for the position.

the trick, as I have said a hundred times, is to always ask for at least 25 percent more than you want to charge. At least half the time they will bite. If they get at all shaky about it and you really want the job then come down to what you wanted to ask and see what they say then. Keep in mind that you need to charge at least double what you normally would if you are freelancing instead of working at a job. Freelancers spend at least a third of their time chasing jobs, doing PR and marketing etc...and do not get medical coverage. So all that has to be factored in...always has been.

good luck with your journey.

Hope that helps.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the link!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 926 Posts
    man, im living off of 12k a year... 38k would be nice.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryeh View Post
    man, im living off of 12k a year... 38k would be nice.
    How exactly are you living off 12k a year? One room hostel with no kitchen or bathroom + loans?!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard View Post
    How exactly are you living off 12k a year? One room hostel with no kitchen or bathroom + loans?!
    I'm seriously wondering this too. I'm really concerned if this is a likely scenario for many concept artists...

Thanks
    Is there anybody on here freelancing that supports a family? Are you able to pay for family medical coverage?

I must admit that the venture simply seems asinine to me unless you have a bread-winning spouse pulling the weight. Is there a freelancing concept artist on here that can convince me otherwise with anecdotal evidence?

It may be easy to live off $30K and pay for health insurance when you're 28, single, no house, etc. But is this viable in the long run for most?
    Last edited by Clipping Path; May 12th, 2011 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,550 Times in 2,761 Posts
    Entry level wages are just that and with time most people get to the 80 to 90k range. Usually over a five to ten year period.
    Most of the artists I know with a family (spouse and children) work as employees inhouse. There are a number of reasons for that besides the healthcare issue. Most of the contract artists I know do not have a family, there are some, but most are relationships that are two people who work with relatively equal incomes.
    Making a living as an artist is hard, making a living as an artist as a freelancer is harder, and then adding family and children and a spouse that doesn't work is just being unrealistic for most peoples ability. There are people who I know that do it, but they became successful first; had a career as an artist for years before they opted to start a family. If you are already married with children and now you want to be an artist you better be a damn good one or it will never work.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Of the commercial artists I know with kids, either one or both parents has a full-time job... I've known a very small number of cases where both parents freelanced or worked part-time, but in those cases at least one was working in a field with comparatively steady work (graphic design, industrial design, programming, whatever...)

Or one parent has a goddamn trust fund.

(EDIT: come to think of it, in at least one of the dual-freelance-with-kids situations that I know of, one parent had to get a totally unrelated part-time job just to get health insurance. Because, yeah, health insurance for more than one person these days is insane. So actually, I don't think I know of any cases where people didn't have to make some kind of compromise to get by, like taking on an unrelated second job or similar.)

(Unless they have a goddamn trust fund. Then they just cruise through life with their little designer dogs at their side.)
    Last edited by QueenGwenevere; May 12th, 2011 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,550 Times in 2,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    (Unless they have a goddamn trust fund. Then they just cruise through life with their little designer dogs at their side.)
    Do I detect a hint of envy in that statement?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Do I detect a hint of envy in that statement?
    You realize that after I've been working crunch-time I go take my break in the park where I'm surrounded by trust-fund kiddies lolling around smoking their hookahs and having wine-and-cheese picnics and talking about all the cool fun leisure activities they've been doing all day...

Yeah, this does get under my skin after a while, I admit it.

Thanks
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. Really helpful stuff here.

QueenGwenevere, don't let the trust fundies get to you. It's about outlasting. Those who don't put in the effort and just loll about, smoking hookahs, being comfortably bohemian, don't end up living a full life (or making it) because they're not learning how to get through life on their own.

Keep rocking. Your work looks great!
    Last edited by Mr.Pryminista; May 12th, 2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: wording