Sketchbook: Pat Thompson - Concepts & Illustrations (for hire!)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Pat Thompson - Concepts & Illustrations (for hire!)

-= Welcome! =-

Thanks for coming by to check out my work - feel free to leave me some advice, critiques, etc.

I currently work freelance in the entertainment industry, doing contract work for mobile game companies, covers and illustrations for authors, and concept art for screenwriters.

I am also looking for a full-time studio position - so if you've got a opening that you know of that you think I might fit into, please let me know!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Pat Thompson; January 21st, 2012 at 08:17 PM.

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~
    I don't paint things. I only paint the difference between things.
    Available for freelance or a position in your company's art department.
    Check out my Sketchbook, or my website www.pkillustration.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  1 - Saruna Imara600.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  205.6 KB

Name:  2 - Darwin Portrait600.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  326.1 KB

Name:  3 - Ghiri600.JPG
Views: 1262
Size:  415.5 KB

Name:  4 - Midnight Redeye600.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  283.5 KB

Name:  5 - Map of Avana600.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  388.9 KB

Last edited by Pat Thompson; August 12th, 2011 at 11:41 PM.

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there Pat ... really nice work! only a few image so far but already so varied and skillful! Cant wait to see some more!

- BLOG - ------------------ - Sketchbook - ------------------ - deviantART -
    "It's nothing really, all in a days work for us bicycle repair men"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shambok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  6 - Mask-o-Latern600.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  264.7 KB

Name:  7 - Floyd's Scream600.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  297.3 KB

Name:  8 - Cloth & Mugs Still Life600.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  252.9 KB

Name:  9 - Rob & Kelly Duck600.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  250.0 KB

Name:  10 - Bowling Ball & Pitcher Still Life_600.JPG
Views: 1096
Size:  246.9 KB

Last edited by Pat Thompson; August 13th, 2011 at 12:17 AM.

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHOW# 244: "Guardian of Atlantis" Progression

Here's my recent efforts at the Character of the Week: Guardian of Atlantis.

Since these are humans who've been trapped underwater for thousands of years, I thought that they'd evolve rapidly along the same lines of other marine mammals. So I did a big brainstorming and research session on possible routes of human marine evolution. I was quite fond of the proto-whale (bottom left), the seal, the fat guy, and the crab. I eventually chose the more chitinous crab man for his aesthetics. I then went on to the body type, brainstorming tail types, and hand types. Chose a hand that would facilitate hunting among the corals and rocks, so his index finger and middle finger have fused to form a super finger, with a massive fingernail talon. Pinkies and thumbs (on feet as well) went out to the sides to facilitate gripping on to the rocks and coral during bouts of strong currents. Tail came from a shark, though I was also a fan of the manatee style, and the rippled style.
    Name:  CHOW#244_Pat_Thompson_wip1.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  412.1 KB

After choosing the head and basic anatomy, I played around with crabman ideas. chose the non hairy head, and the green palette.
    Name:  CHOW#244_Pat_Thompson_wip3.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  96.1 KB

After that, then I brainstormed on his armor. Something lightweight, without too much drag, with streamlined edges. Since Atlantis was invented by the Greeks, I went with an Achilles style to his armor. I did quite like the crab bio armor at first, and the dreadlock armor as well, but in the end went for simplicity of form.
    Name:  CHOW#244_Pat_Thompson_wip5.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  295.3 KB

After that, put in the basic background. I had some additional guards swimming off to the right to give viewers an idea of how he moves through the water normally, and have a road lined with statues of guards below him. Those grey blobs are to become fish, and the lights bio-luminescent lanterns made from magical pearls. The city lies behind him, rising through the murk of thousands of swimmers and markets. The shapes at the ocean's surface with the lights are islands that were broken from the sea's floor with the quake that sunk the city. The Atlanteans chained and tethered them there as a shield to protect their city, and have now built on their undersides. At times, the islands and city connect with towers.
    Name:  CHOW#244_Pat_Thompson_wip6.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  213.1 KB

Last edited by Pat Thompson; August 13th, 2011 at 12:23 AM.

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Thompson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon COW #212: Faberge Dragon

Here's what I'm currently working on: the COW entry for a dragon that emerges from a fancy Faberge egg.

Here's the egg I've chosen:
    Name:  musical-jewelry-faberge-egg-37625.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  19.2 KB

First sketches.
    When I heard about the brief on the COW (design a dragon that emerges from one of the fancy Faberge eggs), I immediately thought of a smaller dragon, something pet size. I imagined that egg wasn't in fact an egg, but like the real Faberge eggs, was merely something pretty that held something valuable inside. So i thought that in a steampunk Russia, the egg maker would put a very valuable dragon pet inside an egg and give it to a young Russian princess. So I started designing a pet for her.
    Name:  COW#212_Pat_Thompson_faberge_dragon_sketch_A.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  144.3 KB

I was also thinking about how a pet dragon could be useful. Perhaps this lil dragon only eats carbon - roasted carbon, such as burnt paper, and pencil wood. So my thoughts are, he can sharpen your pencils, eat your waste paper (back in ol' Russia they didn't have a recycle bin or a delete button). I also thought that since he eats paper, maybe he'd have a problem digesting the ink. So when he poops, its like a bird, only super inky, and injected with glittering particles that make up his jeweled hide. So throughout this dragon's history, his poo has been highly valued as a very special ink, which the princess can then use all the time.
    Name:  COW#212_Pat_Thompson_faberge_dragon_sketch_B.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  131.3 KB

After toying around in my sketchbook, I decided to start mucking about with heads, brainstorming and researching anatomy online.
    Name:  COW#212_Pat_thompson_wip1.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  325.5 KB

I ended up going with a more dinosaur anatomy for my dragon, taken from a Trodon - a super late, super smart dino that had feathers. I ref'd the skull anatomy partially from a dino called draconios hogwartsia.
    Name:  COW#212_Pat_thompson_wip2.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  182.8 KB

And the final concept. At one point I painted in a waaay too detailed background, but after hearing some critiques on how it distracted from the core of the piece, I nuked the bg and here's the result:
    Name:  13 - Faberge_Dragon600.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  203.8 KB

actually, I've come back from months and months in the future to post the revamped final here:
    Name:  Faberge_Dragon_Pat_thompson1000.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  450.0 KB

Last edited by Pat Thompson; January 21st, 2012 at 06:47 PM.

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  11 - Of Henry & Harvey600.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  258.6 KB

Name:  12 - WoW toon600.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  270.2 KB

Name:  14 - Hillback Wurm600.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  319.7 KB

Name:  15 - Rivali_final_1000pxW.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  312.1 KB

Name:  21 - Namia+wips_600px.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  261.2 KB

Name:  22 - Shanghai_2112_all2_600px.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  345.4 KB

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! your work is incredible and so inspiring! I've subscribed to the thread, hope to see more great things.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Luke Flerin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A random Chinese Dragon.
    Name:  Patrick_Thompson_ Chinese_Dragon_sketch.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  429.1 KB

Simple still life - oil on wood panel of one of my old skateboards. Think it was a Darkstar, if I'm not mistaken.
    Name:  Skateboard_still_life.JPG
Views: 868
Size:  461.3 KB

Apocalypse Mount of War. I plan on finishing this one up soon, actually. Will be going with the bottom one.
    Name:  war_mount_wip1.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  127.5 KB

Last edited by Pat Thompson; January 21st, 2012 at 06:40 PM.

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    15-30 minute figure sketch of a model
    Name:  _DSC00825.JPG
Views: 829
Size:  284.9 KB

1-2 hour charcoal portrait of a friend on gesso canvas
    Name:  _DSC00860.JPG
Views: 852
Size:  270.0 KB

2 hour figure study of a model
    Name:  _DSC00890.JPG
Views: 837
Size:  150.6 KB

1 hour facial study of a big hairy model
    Name:  _DSC00912.JPG
Views: 928
Size:  168.7 KB

Night Elf Queen, semi-complete concept. Dress is supposed to emulate tree branches/roots at the bottom.
    Name:  Bride_alone_final.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  240.4 KB

Super quick sketch of the Joker - actually, this was done while I was painting the Saruna Imara piece - the Joker was painted using the excess paint on my brush between strokes on the Imara - so he's kinda of like my junk paint collected.
    Name:  Patrick_Thompson_The_Joker.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  401.1 KB

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dome of a building in a fictional city of Kulina. It's tropical, seaside, and follows a circular style to architecture.
    Name:  Kulina_dome_pastel_sketch.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  360.3 KB

Map of the City of Kulina and area. It was built in imitation of the shape of a giant sea-turtle's head, which is held holy in Kulina.
    Name:  map_kulina_closeup_concept.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  120.1 KB

Map of the City of Kulina, zoomed in. It was built in imitation of the shape of a giant sea-turtle's head, which is held holy in Kulina.
    Name:  map_kulina_concept2.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  105.0 KB

Namia creature and its home architecture and floor plans. It is amphibious, dwelling under the sea and doing some business with humans above water.
    Name:  namia_concept2.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  201.9 KB

Namia home architecture and floor plans. It is amphibious, dwelling under the sea and doing some business with humans above water. Often times, they live in communal structures, in a circular Hakka architecture style. The tops of the building usually peak above the water, allowing human ships to dock and do business. Often built in calm, shallow waters nearby reef systems.
    Name:  namia_habitat_home_concept.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  65.2 KB

Floor plans of a Temple (Implada) from my novel Under the Azure Fist
    Name:  Seuna_Implada_concept.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  80.0 KB

Ho Chi Minh hotel, a massive skyscraper that manages to float above the city via power magnets built into its foundation and into the city below, allowing it to hover on top of a magnetic field.
    Name:  sketches 009.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  109.1 KB

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's more! See, told you it was a truckload. 2 more batches after this even! ha!

Concept of a maraf - a tree-dwelling, nocturnal omnivore that travels in packs and will pick on the weak. They are features in the novel Under the Azure Fist, and one of the characters has even domesticated one, who accompanies the troop for a time before acquiring its own agenda - yes, they can be rather smart. But more than nature is at work inside this animal...
    Attachment 1338917

Sketch for a CHoW - Fantisify yourself or something like that. I chose the most popular fantasy character of all-time, the Monkey King. The tips of the staff would be a calligraphy pen and a paint brush on the ends. I would also be accompanied by a dog/qing-long mix.
    Name:  pat_thompson_monkey_king_sketch2.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  435.3 KB

Dhela concept - a dhela is an ostrich-like beast of burden on the world of Avana featured in my novel Under the Azure Fist. They are herded for meat, feathers, leather, etc. They feed mostly on plants and small critters, and live in flocks of 10 to 50, with an alpha male and an alpha hen. They are usually about 10 feet tall, weigh half a ton, and have eggs that are about equal to 80 chicken eggs. They have a peculiar crenelation on their head, with colors of blue and gold. They can be aggressive in breeding season, and if aggravated can kill a man with itís powerful kick. They can run at about 20 miles per hour, which is slower compared to other large birds from earth due to its large lumbering size and weight.
    Name:  PK Scans.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  242.2 KB

An armored dhela, rode into battle by Avaniens, especially in the southern regions against the slithering armies of the Namien Vengeance.

Name:  PK Scans 001.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  295.4 KB

Last edited by Pat Thompson; January 21st, 2012 at 06:36 PM.

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a batch of 3D art for a steampunk character - Pigsy the Cyborg. He accompanies the Monkey King on his Journey to the West, guarding a Buddhist Priest on his way to India. This is a steampunk version of the sidekick. He sports a bamboo bazooka arm, with a deadly rake attached to its end. He loads his firework rockets into the exhaust pipes on his forearm.

He is a slow moving, slow firing, but powerful fighter. He is a perfect addition to the Monkey King in battle, who fast, agile, and doesn't pack as big of a punch. Other than his arm, Pigsy needs so much energy to function that normal food is no longer enough - he now has internal combustion. So besides shoveling down tubs of rice, he can now consume anything from raw flesh, trees, coal, etc, using his chainsaw-shovel jaw to grind it up, and swallow it down into his belly furnace, fueling him. Smokestacks rise from his copper back, emitting a smoke that sometimes consists of his enemies.

This is the concept work for the 3D model after I got the basic body anatomy down. I played alot with his head design. I wish that when I modeled it all that I had stuck closer to the chosen concept, which I am quite fond of.
    Name:  pigsy mechanics wip2.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  529.5 KB

Views of the finished Pigsy
    Name:  20 - Steampunk Pigsy RW.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  290.7 KB

This is the model of the duel chainsaws that are attached to his jade & copper shovel-jaw. These chainsaw teeth are attached to gears in his jaw, which turn on to grind things into a pulp to feed his furnace-like belly. He eats normal food by the ton, as well as trees and even enemies.
    Name:  pigsy_chainsaw600.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  148.0 KB

Here's the final version of his helmet - I started having fun with the model, and ran with it, getting away from the concept. I did originally do a lot more gear for his noggin, but it got too crowded and noisy, and I could no longer see his face really. So I simplified it, and made it a more elaborate helm throwing back to his regal days as an Immortal General in the Heavens of the Jade Emperor before he got kicked out and turned into Pigsy.
    Name:  pigsy_helm600.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  269.7 KB

This is the model of the rake weapon attached to the end of his bamboo bazooka arm. He uses it to slash at enemies, stab them, as well as stabbing into the ground or woodwork to stabilize his rocket shots. He can even shot it at the ground, launching him into the air to fight or even using himself as a mortar/missle.
    Name:  pigsy_rake600.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  98.5 KB

His chinese rockets that he loads into his bazooka arm
    Name:  pigsy_rocket600.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  144.0 KB

model of the smokestacks that rise from his back, the smoke coming from his furnace belly.
    Name:  pigsy_smokestack600.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  149.3 KB

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, and last batch for the night - my most recent work! This should catch me up, and then in the future I'll be posting the fun ongoing stuff.

Sketch for ongoing CoW - Maturation. Here's the adult version, protecting her playing cubs. Adult is supposed to be super viscous.
    Name:  Momma Mia!1000x.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  444.9 KB

Sketch for ongoing CoW - Maturation. Here's the baby versions. The child is supposed to extremely beautiful, so I'm going goldilocks furby style.
    Name:  Momma Mia!2_1000x.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  402.8 KB

Here's my latest EoW - Guerrilla Nest in the Jungle. Didn't finish on time due to having to focus on Druid's Gate down below. This is a base on a mountain top, from which they rain artillery hell down on the fields and paddies below. organized forces have a hard time finding them in these hills, and with enough nests on mountain tops, no army is marching through without losing something. On a side note, my town of Yangshuo actually experienced this during WWII, and when I go rock climbing, some of the spots have old walls from resistance fortifications.
    Wips up!
    Name:  Patrick_Thompson_Environment_Concept_Guerilla_Base_Progression_wips.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  427.1 KB

And the final...
    Name:  Patrick_Thompson_Environment_Concept_Guerilla_Base_Final_1200x600.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  499.6 KB

Now here's a fun one: High Fantasy RPG Environment Concept art done for Gameloft. I tried to imitate a Zelda/Sacred Odyssey:Rise of Ayden style and color palette. The area is replete with old ruins that have glowing runes and look like Stonehenge. Robbers and wolves roam the area.
    Name:  Patrick_Thompson_Gameloft_Environment_HFantasy_art_test_Final_Progression.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  393.8 KB

And the final...
    Name:  Patrick_Thompson_Gameloft_Environment_HFantasy_art_test_Final50.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  406.0 KB

Last edited by Pat Thompson; January 21st, 2012 at 06:33 PM.

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Thompson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Geez, when is this sketchbook going to be long enough to merit a page 2? lol

Here's my latest efforts for COW #232: Maturation:

The creature you'll be designing this week is born exceptionally docile, has a vegetarian diet, and is extremely beautiful. It lives with very minimal worries, and is content with a quiet peaceful existence.

It lives this happy life until it reaches the age of 1 year. At this point the pretty little beasty starts to go through some "changes", those being a form of rapid puberty that lasts 1 week.

After the rough week of speedy maturation, the cute little critter emerges into adulthood with an entirely different look, along with a new violent temper. As an adult the creature loses most of its beauty, becomes strictly carnivorous, and loves nothing more than ripping apart any unfortunate living thing that looks at it the wrong way.

Requirements this week...
    - the child form must be beautiful, and not have any physical attributes of a violent fighting creature.
    - the adult form must be ugly, and must have acquired some kind of biological weaponry like spikes, horns, claws, fangs, etc. Through its metamorphosis.
    - the child and adult forms must share some physical traits so that you can tell that they are of the same species.
    So here's my wip1:

Name:  Pat_Thomson_COW#232_Maturation_wip1.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  518.0 KB

Got the adult locked down anatomy and form-wise at this point. Took the child away from the cartoony version to this Fatty McFatfat. After much laughter, I decided that he was far too beautiful and must be changed further.

Wip2

Name:  Pat_Thomson_COW#232_Maturation_wip2.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  523.5 KB

Adult is still hanging out, got his eye done (zoom in on that sucker - I'm quite proud of the level of detail in his iris!), main updates going to Captain McFuzz down there. Removed some jelly rolls, added standard cuteness to the facial structures, and brought out the big fuzzy cannons! Still trying to keep the extra skin and fat on the child which would naturally facilitate his massive growth spurt as described in the brief, leaving him some skin room to grow into.

Both Mom and Child will sport interesting coloration patterns stemming from the eyes, belly, and underarms - coming soon to a wip3 near you!

Alrighty, here's the final!
    Name:  04 - The Cute Death - Patrick Thompson.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  486.0 KB

Last edited by Pat Thompson; January 21st, 2012 at 07:49 PM.

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't updated in a while, so there's going to be a bit of work to add.
    I've been busy actually working, lately. It's a good problem to have
    Finally finished some big freelance projects, so I've got a few spare moments to update here before one of you hooligans hires me again, so i need to be quick!

These three are from a project by two writers - Karl Alsens and Phil Thompson. And besides that, I'll let the images speak for themselves, since those two guys don't want me saying too much Oh and an aside - those surfboards are just photos, i take no credit for illustrating those or anything. just the characters.

Aussie the Albatross
    Name:  Aussie_pat_thompson.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  312.6 KB

Kelly the Lune
    Name:  Kelly Duck_pat_thompson.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  356.9 KB

Rob the Duck
    Name:  Rob the Duck.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  472.6 KB

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two more duck characters from the writers Phil Thompson & Karl Alsens.
    Name:  duckdive_heroes2_Pat_thompson.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  479.0 KB

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    two more characters from Phil & Karl

Bane the evil Lynx
    Name:  Bane_Pat_thompson.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  403.3 KB

Bucky the chubby otter
    Name:  Bucky_Pat_thompson.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  465.1 KB

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pitiful bug concepts for a mobile game company
    Name:  bug_concepts_Pat_thompson.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  509.2 KB

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Feature promotion for my first shipped game!

"Greedy Spiders: Xmas Edition" from Blyts. I was responsible for in-game assets as well as this feature poster, such as background images (each layer fully rendered so when you move around it creates the illusion of depth), and UI as well. I am also contracted with them to help them with the artwork for their next few games, one of which is already complete as far as I'm concerned and should ship sometime this quarter hopefully! On this piece, I did most of the work, except for some of the bugs, and the spiders face, which were done by another artist at Blyts.

Name:  Greedy_Spiders_Pat_thompson.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  475.4 KB

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a piece I did to help promote myself for mobile companies looking for artists to hire! Although I'm currently supporting myself as a freelancer, I'm avidly hunting for a full-time job doing art, so mobile games look good right about now.

a take on the ever-popular angry birds.
    Name:  angry_penguins_pat_thompson1000.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  477.9 KB

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Concept art for a client, this is a lake where the duck people live, and they live in those very organic homes, made like a nest, and with open tops so that they can fly in.
    Name:  Duck_Lake_Pat_thompson.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  516.1 KB

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Thompson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    concept for a client - this is a meeting hall of sorts - under a massive tree, so the architecture is all very organic, including the bioluminescent lighting from the glowing mushrooms.
    Name:  nest_watch_Pat_thompson.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  473.0 KB

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    speed painting thumbnails done for a client. each thumbnail took about 30 minutes, more or less.
    Name:  Overlords_3_Thumbnails_v2 - Patrick Thompson.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  487.4 KB

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya,

thanks for commending! Gosh, I love your vibrant color combinations *-*

Hahaha, those duck characters are pretty darn cute. x3 the one on the right reminds me of those girls on my facebook who occasionally make duckfaces at their iPhones. x) You know those kinds of girls!

Anyway, great stuff! Can't wait to see more from you!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Vitaquena For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Vitaquena! I do have fun with the colors A producer from Zynga shared your sentiments on my color use. On the ducks, I know exactly what you're talking about, ha. Never thought of that while illustrating these, though

And here's the next concept:

Harrison Cross

Character Concept Art done for the Overlords book series, commissioned by the author Michael J. Squatrito, Jr.
    www.the-overlords.com

He's the main protagonist, a young hero off on an adventure.

Name:  Harrison_Cross_Pat_thompson_1000.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  515.1 KB

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Demon Huntress

A personal piece celebrating attractive women and how dangerous they are. Done in photoshop. I love how 'expensive' looking this one came out, like a classical oil painting.

Name:  Demon_Huntress_Pat_thompson.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  426.5 KB

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Revolution: LA

Could be the future, but then again some people think that this is what current south LA looks like, haha.

Name:  Revolution_LA_Pat_thompson.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  482.4 KB

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Thompson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    book cover illustration for the Overlords series of novels (#1), "Legend of the Treasure" by Michael J. Squatrito, Jr.
    www.the-overlords.com

Done in Photoshop, in roughly 5 hours, with no reference. Tried to give it a more YA feel, more stylized.

Attached Images Attached Images  

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Guys

I've got an art test underway! If you have any advice or critiques please lay it on me!

Here's the gist of the brief:
    High Fantasy RPG
    Dark, Mysterious, beautiful. Nothing evil or corrupted, but dark. Temperate forest. old abandoned road, with stonehenge-like relics that have glowing elements. Illustrated treatment, without being too cartoonish. colorful, yet wild. a lighted atmosphere. serious, yet attractive.

Things to watch out for:
    perspective
    layout
    line quality, interesting color palette, creativity, mood, cool characters a plus

And so now onto the content! Keep in mind, this first ones are quickies, and done before my 3 point perspective grid was up and running.

6 Initial Gateway Concepts/Sketches

The main area (forest + road) is temporary, right now focusing on main element. Main area will most likely feature a stonehendge type of layout, which I'll have up in the next post of wips.

Name:  final 6 gates comparer_1400px2.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  509.1 KB

3 Point Perspective & Composition Grid

This is what I'm using to build my composition. The 3 point perspective is being garnered from what I can ascertain from the pre-vis image. For the composition, I'm using a combination of fibonacci spirals, fitted into a Rule of Thirds grid, with a central fibonacci golden mean spiral being placed in the main focus area, locked into the upper-right 2/3rds. I'm also going to try to have it fit a bit into a horizontal A/V pattern (groups of shapes, colors, and values into these areas).

Name:  3pp_grids_together_chart2.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  414.5 KB

So what do you guys think? Which sketch is your favorite? Any critiques are welcome! I'll be posting a wip daily for the next week, so come by and watch it progress and grow!

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2