Art: Shiflett Bros fix a crack in polymer clay
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Shiflett Bros fix a crack in polymer clay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Shiflett Bros fix a crack in polymer clay

One of the most common questions we get at conventions and online is about how we deal with cracks in polymer clay. We work in Super Sculpey Firm, but this method will work for any polymer clays. This is not the right or wrong way to do this, just how we go about it and everyone will have a slightly different method.

This is just a barbarian sketch, not a particularly great piece, but I looked on the shelf and thought it would do for these purposes. These steps can be done over and over , or back and forth.

A break in the arm from shipping to Monsterpalooza. A common problem, but this could just of easily have happenned from baking, maybe the armature was loose, maybe there was a great weight on the end of the arm, or possibly the sculpey was'nt cured all the way through.

The first thing we would do is Superglue it all the around or as far as the crack goes and hold it in place for a minimum of 30 seconds. A little bit of super glue goes a long way, instead of gorging the crack, I might do several light fills ins.

Then quickly wipe off all the superglue on the surface as best you can, you just want the superglue to go down into the crack.

Mod Podge can be found in most craft stores and is mostly used for securing jigsaw puzzles after completion. We mix it with water and use it to slowly level out the surface. I apply it with a paintbrush and do usually about 10 very light , watery layers.By letting each layer completely dry they will do all the work in meeting the two sides back together.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sanding sponges are awesome, we 'wet-sand' meaning we continually dip the sponge in water to help it slide and lessen in the possibility of little bitty scratches. I could have sanded before supergluing and /or after.

We use the primer to help us see the true surface and let us know how we are doing. After it dries I might see imperfections or stuff I don't like and sand again, then primer and start all over until I'm happy. You can also apply a light smidge of vaseline and sculpt with sculpey onto this, whatever.
    We use The Armoury Grey because it is very similar in shade of grey to the sculpey Firm itself. Avoid automotive primer.

And that's basically it, again there are a ton of ways to do this I'm sure, different chemicals and techniques, but this is just something we get asked about so I hope this shows one way of going about it.

Jarrod

Last edited by jarrodshiflett; May 10th, 2011 at 03:45 PM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jarrodshiflett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We will be doing a demo at Wonderfest this weekend! See ya'll there-

May 15th at Wonderfest:
    "The Fantastic World of The Brothers Shiflett (1:30 – 2:30)
    Brandon and Jarrod Shiflett are two of the most wildly talented and imaginative sculptors working in the industry today and they’ve generously offered to share their original vision and creative history with attendees in a terrific presentation and Q&A for WF 2011. Not to be missed by fans of incredible character work!"

Jarrod

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is the original thread-

http://www.shiflettbrothers.com/foru...c&topicID=4593

jarrod

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Relaxin' Satan , in progress

Wayne Barlowe's Thype , new resin kit

Gazelle Girl, tentative title , in progress sculpey firm

General Noko , ebay sketch
    [img]http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/7478531/aview/11.jpg[/img

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.