A quick question

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A quick question

Hello everyone, I've recently started getting away from doing pencil/charcoal type work and trying to put myself in some other diverse mediums. I've bought photoshop and a wacom tablet, as well as a few canvases to practice on for painting. I've never had experience in painting, or anything digital, so I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of something that would help. I've looked up a few videos, but most don't seem to explain very much. I'm a beginner when it comes to art, and don't really have a lot of experience. So if anyone could push me in the right direction, I would be very appreciative. I'm trying to really work with photoshop and do digital stuff at the moment, so that's my main focus, but I also want to work with traditional media as well.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What kind(s) of painting?

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I really environmental, but I don't want to stick to one thing. I'm trying to get decent with digital stuff, but I'd also love to work with oils and matte paintings

Thanks
    Thanked 4,901 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well...checked your SB and you're just getting started but at least heading in the right direction. If I could offer one piece of advice it would be to stick with drawing for now, you're not ready for painting or exploring other media yet. Drawing comes first in representational art (if that is what you are interested in) so make sure you really have a handle on drawing well from life/observation. If you start getting ahead of where you are with understanding it only slows you down, develops bad habits and you end up lost out in the wilderness. Digital media should be avoided as well, at least until you know how to draw. Learning how to draw well takes a few years of hard work...it is simple but not easy. Good luck!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for taking the time to reply! I am trying to practice with traditional media and graphite as much as possible, and I'm trying to improve myself. I've only just really started this semester, so hopefully I'll be able to keep it up. I understand that it causes bad habits, and I definitely don't want any of that, but I'm trying to get ready for my classes next semester as I'm required to take a painting class next semester. They want us to have some previous experience in painting, and I figured I'd need some help getting there since I've never messed with paint before. So hopefully I can just practice a little bit to get myself in the right direction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I agree. You need to stick to building up your drawing skills for now. Attempting painting at this stage is just going to frustrate the hell out of you.

If it's your first painting class, why would they expect you to have previous experience? That makes no sense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It beats the hell out of me. I don't think they're looking for anything amazing, just that you can create basic strokes and blend. My school tends to be very wishy-washy about things, so it's really difficult to ever know the reason behind what they want. It's a fine arts school, so they don't offer any classes for illustration or anything. I guess they expect all of their students to already be at some level by the time they get into that class. My first class this semester was extremely hard for me, because it didn't start us out with basics, but rather jumped right into the mid-semester content.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexgen View Post
    My school tends to be very wishy-washy about things, so it's really difficult to ever know the reason behind what they want.
    Have you tried asking the teachers?

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The few I had this semester were the ones that told me to try and practice painting a bit before next semester. They said that it'd be hard to keep up if I didn't understand the basics .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexgen View Post
    It beats the hell out of me. I don't think they're looking for anything amazing, just that you can create basic strokes and blend. My school tends to be very wishy-washy about things, so it's really difficult to ever know the reason behind what they want. It's a fine arts school, so they don't offer any classes for illustration or anything. I guess they expect all of their students to already be at some level by the time they get into that class. My first class this semester was extremely hard for me, because it didn't start us out with basics, but rather jumped right into the mid-semester content.
    Quit listening to your so-called "teachers" and find a new school. Seriously.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to burning_chrome For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish I could, honestly. I hate the fact that our school doesn't have any classes offered for students wanting to do illustration or freelancing. Unfortunately, it's the only school I can afford. I can't afford actual art institutes, so I'm not really sure what to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by burning_chrome View Post
    Quit listening to your so-called "teachers" and find a new school. Seriously.
    wo-ho... lets not jump to conclussions as easily. all we got yet is an interpretation of what could be important to them.

if you want to learn the basics of painting... get some brushes and paint... you could spend years performing digitally without learning anything worthwhile about painting.

[edit] to clarify...

for painting you basically got a certain amount of range in value, hue and chroma, then there are certain ways to apply it and thats about it - all opportunities paint got to offer... you could doodle digitally for years without even noticing these points... yet in e.g. oils you would be forced to. all those digital tricks of overlay-, color-, burn- and dogdelayers, colorpickers and -sliders, level-, hue- and contrast adjustments, liquify- and transform-tools, andsoon... wont force you to be aware of underlying principles. digital is great for productionwork but bad for learning, since there are just too many tricks that can be used to cheat yourself out of facing a challenge.

Last edited by sone_one; May 10th, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
    newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much sone! That's exactly the information I was looking for! I wasn't sure where to start to get myself going, but now I'll start with some oils and see where that takes me! Hopefully I'll be able to learn something, and make progress. I appreciate your reply!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.